• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Mining Nerf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesmazing

Stone
So at lvl 31 miner I have a .929% chance for my passive proc down from the 3.1% i had. Very understandable. However it's not working like it used to. Extra ores are no longer obtained just from stone. After figuring out how to get gold, I've done extensive testing before the fix... After the nerf, 0 procs in 2000+ blocks. Where I was before making a stack of gold per 1.5 - 2 hours is now none at all. Again, the percent nerf is understandable, but I'd still like to see my ~1 gold per ~100 blocks.

Also, I really feel that superheat should just be a passive. It's uses are so few and far between that its mana cost is moot as well as its cooldown. I mean, even if you find a large vein of ore, the duration of superheat is more than enough for that vein and an adjacent one... Plus, once the duration is over, IF you have to use it again for some reason, you're only down 5 mana. So you use it, mine, use it immediately after it wears off, and at the time of the second use you're at 95% mana. As a caster/miner I use my diamond pick as a melee as well so keeping fireball bound to the pick is a must. Getting ganked during mining is no fun, so I never even bother binding/using superheat... Plus, even IF you used superheat on every single ore you came across it wouldn't matter as the passive proc ONLY drops unsmelted ore even if you happen to be superheated when it procs (tested). So you would still have to go back to a furnace and smelt your ores - effectively rendering superheat kinda useless, unless you need glass I guess...

Mining is a an awesome profession, before the nerf I was averaging 300c per hour in gold between levels 21-31. I don't think that it's too high as I'm talking an entire hour straight of holding left click. Whereas an enchanter can easily make 300c with just 30 enchants... I get my picks enchanted 10 at a time so either I'm the only one getting enchants, or enchanters are making good money... Either way great profession and I don't want any other, just needs a few more tweaks imo.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
It dosn't work at all, I just mined in half a hour and didn't get a single drop.. I'm lvl 28 so I have 1.4% drop chance, but no drops in 30 min?
I would say I mined about 1000+ stone.

Awesmazing

Stone
OK. So mining was rebuffed, instead of yesterdays .929% chance at lvl 31 it is now 1.55% making your chance of extra drops half your level divided by 10, percent. After a bit of testing, I mined exactly 1000 blocks of stone (50x10x2) and recieved exactly 1 drop. Granted this is obviously within the odds of possibility, but with a 10x sized sample rate the odds are pretty low... Going to keep mining and hopefully the numbers work themselves out. If they do then I guess all is well, but this makes mining one of the least lucrative professions now in comparison to the others.

Update: 2000 blocks (~1950 dirt/ore) now and the results are still pretty grim. Aside from actually finding a small gold vein I got a total of still only the 1 extra drop. A bit more tweaking is still in order and I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that it was ever very over powered to begin with. Yeah 5.5% is pretty high but that's at level 55. If you're mining for extra drop procs your 0.1 experience gains don't add up very quickly, it's not like you'll be there any time soon. I also think that with the old percentages it will work out because it will help adjust the economy. As it stands if you pick any profession but miner you really have no reason to go mining. Ipso facto you'll eventually need to find a miner to buy things from. Then that would mean a miners entire source of income is based on luck (whether or not they find diamonds/gold) with such a low proc chance that's the way it is. Where other professions can now do only their profession and make money, lonely die hard miners are left hoping to get lucky. Meaning some miners will, and most won't. The old way was nice. If someone wanted diamonds, I could guarantee that I had some to sell within the hour. It's not like smiths have to hope armor will break, it does, inevitably.

I think a safe way to revert the nerf but still keep it balanced at the moment is to just remove 1 full percent point off the original value. Meaning at level 10 miner, your chances are .1%. Obviously 10-20 happens pretty quickly and at 20 you're getting your full 1%. Meaning 55 only gets 4.5%. Which isn't really as much as it sounds. Like I said in my original post, at 31 (3.1%) I did TONS of mining and found that I averaged roughly 150c worth of ore per hour. Roughly a stack of gold from a combination of random veins and procs every 2 hours. This is a pretty fair rate, I think that if someone wants to spend 2 whole hours mining, they should reap some of the rewards. Then they spend that money in their townships, townships begin to grow, services become needed, and bam, the ideal Herocraft is in motion.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Where I was before making a stack of gold per 1.5 - 2 hours <--- completely unwanted/unintended.

The extra ore drop % shown in the skill listing is for getting double ORE drops from ORE.

The stone amount is at a very low amount - on purpose - to not roughly inflate the economy. It will need some more tweaking.

Awesmazing

Stone
The extra ore drop % shown in the skill listing is for getting double ORE drops from ORE.

OK, that makes sense.

That's originally how I read the skill to begin with. Still makes miner as a profession almost obsolete. That means that actually BEING a miner makes you .5-2.75% more effective at mining than someone with ANY OTHER profession... Kind of harsh I think, why pick miner then when I can do almost as good with any other profession pick? I really think you have to compare it's effectiveness to that of the other professions. Enchanters earn money in a way that no other person that's not one can, PLUS they can go mine if they want. Everybody could just go mining why bother with the 2% bonus if you can make much more money, as well as other benefits (repair/potions/etc.) in other professions. Something needs to be done. Perhaps an overhaul of sorts because it seems rather difficult to compare these percentages with the income other professions can make... Plus with the enchanting of iron picks, the use of diamond picks isn't all that special either.

I really don't mean to rag on this so much, but as it stands we cannot change JUST our professions. Which I would love to do if this is the way mining is going to be now... I want to keep miner, I also just want the same money opportunities people get with other professions. Right now I'm in the running to make 2% more money than a crafter. Seems wrong.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
I agree that miner needs to be buffed, at level 55 one it takes a long time for you to get there and two your only mining for ores not to level up. If you almost never getting extra drops it almost isn't worth it.

Thoth

Legacy Supporter 4
@Kainzo I'm not even a miner and I feel like miners are getting screwed over in this tweak, I understand your intentions but that's what makes a miner, a miner. Changing the the percentages was probably smart but I think those changes are a little too extreme for a class that's specifically made for mining. If your spending the time to mine; and you can't enchant, and you can't repair tools/weapons, etc., you are dependent on those percentages giving you compensation.

Anyways I hope that miners get some kind of changes :)

jbird112233

Legacy Supporter 7
I think that each profession has a special job and the job of the miner should be to mine much more efficiently then the other classes and if what I have been reading is true then the miner can't preform its job well. I'm guessing it needs a rework/buff.

Staven88

TNT
If Miners chance of get proc is so low then what it the point of going Miner at all? You could just go enchanter, sell enchants for 10c, and still mine as well as a level 55 miner. All I'm saying is the Miner class should have a decent edge over regular miners.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
"The stone amount is at a very low amount - on purpose - to not roughly inflate the economy. It will need some more tweaking."

^ more tweaking is coming. Work with me and post constructive feedback and we will change it

skittles32009

Legacy Supporter 7
instead of a % base drop, why not a per certain amount of ores found bonus? ie: after mining 10 gold, find an extra 2 or something like that from the next gold block found? not sure if thats even possible to code though but eh, just an idea

Sleaker

Retired Staff
instead of a % base drop, why not a per certain amount of ores found bonus? ie: after mining 10 gold, find an extra 2 or something like that from the next gold block found? not sure if thats even possible to code though but eh, just an idea

because that would require storing individual player data and updating it everytime someone mined a block. We don't want to have to store that amount of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.