• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Mason practical without a town?

glaivekill

Wood
A buddy and I just started on this server fairly recently and of course the protection issue came up. Realizing an lwc protection costs 500 gold made us stop and think about how we can best mitigate theft/destruction risks. The crafting professions will certainly help however,

will masonry structures be useless without a protection in place preventing people from simply destroying them?

We're new (thus low level) so testing this isn't possible. Any feedback/advice for a couple new guys who are looking for protection options (outside of joining a town, at least for the time being)?

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
Without a region, someone can always get into your area. They can break through walls, pillar up, what ever.

There are three ways to get regions; join a town, donate to t4+, or buy a Dragongarde plot. Protections are a good way (but not foolproof) to protect yourself, but LWC's are the only guaranteed way to protect your items.

As for mason skills, perhaps you could rig some crazy thing with bridges and gates, I'm no expert on that. If someone breaks your mason structures, or even your home in general, you can use a petition to get help from a Mod or Admin. Griefing is against the rules on this server.

Your best bet, honestly, is to join a town, even if you leave it later, starting out the best thing you can do is join a town, they tend to be the best help for new players.

Hope this helped.
Good luck! And welcome to Herocraft 8)

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Yeah Mason's definitely have an advantage when you have a region to work with. I'd recommend you save up for a spawn plot, it's about 2,500c. You can also SELL your mason services for money to towns who don't have a mason.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
The thing about the griefing of mason work is that typically it is not possible as most mason structures are actually unable to be broken. As a result of this I do believe it is possible to create a near theft proof chest protection system using gates and bridges by creating a gate or bridge, removing the sign, then replacing the sign when you wish to get in. The problem with this approach is that a fellow mason would still be able to break into your gates and bridges.

As has been said by those two guides, one of which I love and one of which I do not, it is probably best to go ahead and join a town or get a personal region. Despite the whole "LWCs are the only 100% form of protection", a personal region that is not used in a retarded manner can essentially be 100% protection. A town doesn't give you that guarantee, but it does allow you to become a part of a larger community of players that will be happy to help you.

I'd like to add that if you ever see me online (highly unlikely as I'm going into a quitting phase) and are willing to trust me, I can set you up in my second personal region which also has an LWC I would be happy to give you access to. I'm typically a highly trusted/honorable player and also one of the wealthiest on the server so I wouldn't steal from you, though I can easily understand not trusting me. Keep it in mind as an option though ^.^

Mason structures can be broken like anything else. I too wanted to make an unregioned city out of bridges and gates. Sadly, they do not work how you or I want them to.

glaivekill

Wood
Thanks for the sound advice all. My friend and I would like to avoid joining a town for the time being (we're not new to minecraft, just the server) but at least for now I know my options in case we change our minds.

I very much appreciate the offer Diffuse, but I will have to decline because trust is a bit too valuable to be given that easily :p

Care to elaborate on what you're referencing Futon?

I originally wanted to make a city out of the invincible blocks that falsebook gates and bridges created. As it turns out the bridges and gates are not invicible on herocraft.

When you said mason structures, I assumed you meant making enclosures out of gates and bridges.