• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Is this going to happen constanty?

[CORE] Motav

Stone
I joined Herocraft all of like, the other day. (Before you read anything else, yes I read the wiki.) The Hero plug in itself was really fun and the idea of actual towns and whatnot is quite interesting.

But in order to get into a town you either fill-out an app and pay some unspecified tax IF they accept you. (and really who's gonna want a level 3 with all of 3 coins to their name?) So before that you have to play on your own and that seemed fine... at first.

The first time I logged in, chose a path and the default crafter path, (and read all the signs) I went along a road to "adventure". After 2 minutes of running I saw a chicken, killed it, and not a moment later was immediately ripped apart by what I assume was a Ninja. (stealth and poison and whatnot)

So tonight me and a friend decide safety in numbers and I run through the wilderness a couple thousand blocks and took residence inside a completely random mountain. All seems well, we make chests but I was confused as to why we had to hide inside a mountain with no visible entry point.

Later that curiosity was sated after a guy with a green name and gold stars and his friend simply walk over directly to the mountain, dig into our hovel, steal our stuff, and murder us for good measure. My brother calls it: "Getting thug-lifed" to try and put a positive spin on it so the idea of losing every material item we just played the last 2 hours to get and the hovel we just lost doesn't sound so bad.

Apart from the fact we can't afford protected chests and don't live in a town, (of course the wiki doesn't actually say what there is to gain apart from paying taxes and paying for a home to buy a protected chest so this doesn't happen) it's the sheer fact we were so new we had no chance at even defending ourselves. The moment I saw them I grabbed what I could and ran and was found and slaughtered while hiding in a small hole in the ground I had dug outside in an effort to just MAYBE salvage the few things I shift clicked out of a chest in my rush to escape. I had no chance from the beginning, not in living inside a mountain, not in combat, and not in hiding like a wee baby to save a few measly things.

So what my wall of China is ACTUALLY about is this...

Is this supposed to repeatedly happen? Is every time I log in to play and have a good time, slinging fireballs at monsters, minin' stuff, etc going to be ruined by random and unpredictable death by which I have no means of controlling? Because it currently looks like I'm meat until I grind out max level to defend myself at all. Which from looking at the exp I gain from killing a monster, going to be a long time?

Just curious, because currently the desire to log in AGAIN to get everything AGAIN is dwindling because I know before I gain even 2 levels I'll probably be hunted down at random AGAIN and lose everything and have to start over AGAIN. I'd prefer not to mine for a bit only to have someone waiting to kill me for it.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
It's up to the townships to enforce a tax or not. However the protection the township provides will keep pvpers like that guy who destroyed you from just walking in and taking everything. And you don't have to spend all your time in a town either, you could just use it for storage.

If you want to continue living in the wild, I suggest traveling to the edge of the map, or a few hundred blocks inwards of it (to avoid miners). Since the only people who will find you is sheer luck and people who use track on you (if it's personal usually is the only time that happens)

I think spawn should give advice like that on signs, but you can really only get advice like that from public chats. I full-heartedly suggest you live as far away from spawn as possible, or join a town that will accept you, even if it's just a safe place to store stuff and not die.

JDFinal

Legacy Supporter 5
The only way you will survive is to join a town. As far as town taxes go they are usually around 20-30c. You can get this amount of money from just voting everyday (total of 14c per day). You pay off the tax in 3 days then that leaves you 4 days of voting for Yourself!

Also not all towns make you pay taxes. One of them being my town Adamantium.

[CORE] Motav

Stone
Apart from some of that information being important for a wiki page (there's already a newbie section in it) the protection costs currency for the chests doesn't it? (was told it was a couple hundred) For the record living as a hermit (well 3 hermits counting my hermit friends) isn't what I had in mind but some of the applictions for towns sound rather much, none of which seemed ridiculously new user friendly. After all I don't know a whole lot about Herocraft aside from avoiding any player because they want my stuff and they know I can't stop them so how would I even begin to comprehend on what I could do for a town? (aside from workin a corner or dancing for shinies)

It's not that I hate pvp either, I was just worried if getting railed was going to be the whole experience. And from your server reputation I didn't want to believe it.

JDFinal

Legacy Supporter 5
Please explain as to what aspect of the town applications, that you find "rather much"

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Apart from some of that information being important for a wiki page (there's already a newbie section in it) the protection costs currency for the chests doesn't it? (was told it was a couple hundred) For the record living as a hermit (well 3 hermits counting my hermit friends) isn't what I had in mind but some of the applictions for towns sound rather much, none of which seemed ridiculously new user friendly. After all I don't know a whole lot about Herocraft aside from avoiding any player because they want my stuff and they know I can't stop them so how would I even begin to comprehend on what I could do for a town? (aside from workin a corner or dancing for shinies)

It's not that I hate pvp either, I was just worried if getting railed was going to be the whole experience. And from your server reputation I didn't want to believe it.

For non-donors an LWC is 500 coins. You earn money by selling gold to town bankers, who are privelaged to sell it at DHX (staff bank at spawn) where the staff take the gold out of the economy and generate coins in its place.

Again, if you must hermit it out, move closer to the map's edge. The radius of the map is 3500 blocks and there's still plenty of ores at the very edge, so be careful miners, don't live THAT close to the edge and try to find a secluded place. Also keep in mind the nearest grave yard and how convienient it would be to die and walk back, and how that might work out when under attack and you kill your attacker (you don't want them to spawn on top of you!)

Try consulting the dynamic map.

[CORE] Motav

Stone
The bits about paying taxes and saying how I would benefit town X. As a new player I have no money and can't even help myself. Afterall I tried that and next time I log in me and my brother will be at a graveyard with no home, no items, mere pocketchange, and little hope. It'd be nice if the towns I looked at on the forum were maybe smaller or less advanced so I wouldn't feel so out of place trying to apply to one.

Regardless I appreciate the tips but it's 5 am where I live. I'll try and apply to a town that seems like it would be best for me (and convince the other hermit bridge club members to do so as well) tomorrow and hopefully getting "thug-lifed" on a regular basis won't be a repeating issue.

KrunknMunky

Legacy Supporter 3
The reason that a lot of towns have 'complicated' application forms is because we want quality members. Now judging from the insight and maturity in your posts, I cannot think of a town that wouldn't want you, but they would ask you to fill out an app first. Towns very rarely ask for taxes, and as it stands at the moment, I cannot see any valid reason for demanding taxes, as the only purpose towns have for money is to expand their region, and that can easily be funded by larger donations from long time players. That said, if you have set your heart on joining a town that does enforce taxes, perhaps consider talking to the mayor before joining, and explain your situation. We are (almost) all humans, and I'm sure most players would be happy to give you a little free time, to help you get on your feet.

Be aware that the issue with joining smaller or less advanced towns is they are also often the target of raids, as they often have less well established defences, or high level players.

A lot of the suggestions posted above are very useful, and should definitely should be taken account. If you decide to continue living in the wild, and getting raided still occurs regularly, there are some steps you can take to avoid losing items, or even being found in the first place. Hiding chests is always a good idea, use natural blocks to disguise their location, and put them in surprising places, like 2 blocks into the ceiling. Secondly, make sure there is little evidence of player activity in your area, as that will always attract raiders.

I hope all of this helps, and that you don't decide to rage HC, as you seem like a great guy, who could genuinely contribute to our community.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
The bits about paying taxes and saying how I would benefit town X. As a new player I have no money and can't even help myself. Afterall I tried that and next time I log in me and my brother will be at a graveyard with no home, no items, mere pocketchange, and little hope. It'd be nice if the towns I looked at on the forum were maybe smaller or less advanced so I wouldn't feel so out of place trying to apply to one.

Regardless I appreciate the tips but it's 5 am where I live. I'll try and apply to a town that seems like it would be best for me (and convince the other hermit bridge club members to do so as well) tomorrow and hopefully getting "thug-lifed" on a regular basis won't be a repeating issue.
My town Canterlot doesn't require taxes or anything from the citizens. You and your friends will all get your very own plot to build on free of charge. We have many new players that are unexperienced like you, so you'll fit in.

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
I think a melee class would be far better for gaining money. Fireball doesn't give coin unless the impact damage kills the mob which almost never happens, for me.

ddrheretic

Legacy Supporter 4
Hide a chest in the ocean or a river. Mine for gold on the outer edge of the map. Put the gold in your deep sea chest. Sell that gold asap and buy your first lwc. Or if you would like I will hold your gold for you.....

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
The way the server works these days forces any new players to decide between joining a town, donating or getting fucked on a regular basis. Choose one.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
It's a rough world.. You can always live at the MA's though, every good round pretty much pays for the diamond it costs.

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
MAKE FRIENDS!*
GET MONEY!
BUY SOME SHIT!
LEVEL UP!
MASTER SPEC!
RINSE AND REPEAT! (excluding Step 1)

*(Step 1 is subject to your likability and social skills. Terms and conditions apply.)