• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Increase Minecraft Performance

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to increase MC's performance, it's been the major problem for a long time that's prevented me from hanging out in servers with larger populations. I can run the game just fine in Single, and a few multiplayer servers that rarely get over 20 but to do it I have to have everything turned down to the minimum settings.

Which confuses the hell out of me, because I can run League of Legends on high and it still gets at least 30 fps (which I consider minimum for playable). I can run Rift with everything at average and it runs faster than Minecraft sometimes.

I was informed by a friend I know from college that it might be something about my computer not allowing Java to use enough memory, and that I might need to update my Java. I've already updated Java, but does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to increase the memory allocated to Java?

Joka10

Soulsand
I'm not sure how to increase Java's memory, but try downloading and installing Optifine. It doesn't work for everyone, but at least in my case, it drastically increased FPS.

Kwong050

Holy Shit!
Apparently you can use the config the task manager(control+alt+del) to make the computer put more RAM into running minecraft. I got this from Rumblestikk I believe.

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
You can use the tank manager and set the memory allowance to High or Realtime, effectively making your computer run Minecraft higher over any other programs.

This could take its toll if your using MC while doing other things however.

Kwong050

Holy Shit!
You can use the tank manager and set the memory allowance to High or Realtime, effectively making your computer run Minecraft higher over any other programs.

when I get on ts, tell me how to do this please

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
when I get on ts, tell me how to do this please
Open task manager Cntrl + Alt + delete, right click minecraft, click go to process, right click java.exe, hover over set priority, click what you want; above normal, high, realtime etc...

Falker57

Legacy Supporter 8

Dont you have to do this every time you open minecraft?

I_Love_Miners

Legacy Supporter 5
ive read that setting it to real time can do permanent damage to your system.

anyways, settings for minecraft seem to be different for everyones computer. it's very difficult to find advice that works for everyone and youre best off just understanding your own system, its capabilities, googling information and trying a bit of everything. Optifine is definitely something that works for everyone though, but is certainly not a 100% solution for some people. also possible that some people are just destined to suffer from server lag which is not really something can tweak a setting for. you should update your java, update your video card, get optifine, defrag your computer, turn off unused programs, possible download magiclauncher which has a handy feature where you can set the amount of ram you want minecraft to use so its not wasted causing your computer to lag. by default it was set at 512mb but i decreased it to 256 and it runs good.

ive spent countless hours messing with settings to the point that my game runs very smooth now, even though im not getting insane fps like most people do. the only problem is ive done so many things, i dont know which one was the x factor or if the server was just running really great recently or whatever. good luck

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
''Error: The java virtual machine could not be created''

The biggest problems people have with this are often:

1) not putting down the full/correct path to their minecraft folder
2) having their minecraft.exe file named something like "minecraft(2).exe due to downloading minecraft multiple times.
3) not having the 64bit version of Java installed while using a 64bit version of windows
4) using Windows 7 and not capitalizing the first "x"--case matters!

Also, if you scroll through the comments in that thread they discovered that the copy line has the wrong (-) symbol so you delete those and add your own. It needs to be a - (minus sign) and not a (long dash) sign.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
The biggest problems people have with this are often:

1) not putting down the full/correct path to their minecraft folder
2) having their minecraft.exe file named something like "minecraft(2).exe due to downloading minecraft multiple times.
3) not having the 64bit version of Java installed while using a 64bit version of windows
4) using Windows 7 and not capitalizing the first "x"--case matters!

Also, if you scroll through the comments in that thread they discovered that the copy line has the wrong (-) symbol so you delete those and add your own. It needs to be a - (minus sign) and not a (long dash) sign.
1) It is correct
2) It is called minecraft.exe
3) I have a 32 bit system
4) I have a Vista

I did change all the characters aswell.

The increased ram option worked for my single player, but I think there's just too many people for me to play on Herocraft. I'm going to ask them to remove my whitelist.

I_Love_Miners

Legacy Supporter 5
the increased ram thing is weird. minecraft shouldnt even be using much more than 256 ram in the first place. The first thing I'd figure out is why is your minecraft using more ram than other users? I'm using a computer with windows xp, a shitty video card, and a processor from 2007 and using magic launcher I only allocate 256ram to be used with minecraft because it never uses more than that when I run f3 in game. I would have to assume theres something conflicting in your system causing minecraft to burn so much ram, and its likely java related. so like someone mentioned, make sure you have java 64bit downloaded if youre running a 64bit system. if you dont know what system you have you can right click my computer(properties) and it should say x64 under system somewhere if youre running 64 bit. Also, make sure you have all previous versions of java uninstalled using the remove programs tool. I had about 2 or 3 old versions of java all installed at the same time until recently which seems dumb on java's part that their updates didnt properly uninstall previous versions, but it definitely could have caused a conflict.

theres a site you can google that allows you to input your computer specs and it will give you a score out of 10 on how well your system will run minecraft. just search minecraft compatibility or minimum specs or something like that. I received 3 out of 10 for processor and video card and I run herocraft at anywhere from 50-100 fps, so I think most people given the right settings can run herocraft just fine. finding out what works for you is the difficult part I guess