• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

*hypothetical* 1.8 ranger

Kikusaku

Glowing Redstone
with 1.8 the bow mechanics have been reworked extensively

reduced mobility whilst aiming + tunnel vision
increased dmg and range over charge time
and a different arrow arc

How will this play in Herocraft?
Will the arrows continue to do 10 dmg ea regardless of charge, rof, range?

or

will get a dmg boost, 20-25+ range for max charge and around 3-5 for minimum charge
so the ranger becomes an effective high alpha sniper?

while shortrange is rather suicide, due to minimum mobility and tunnel vision?

Well I'm pretty sure that criticals is coming into heros. Kainzo metioned that ranger dmg will be bumped a little bit, but honestly i think rangers being good at short range is stupid. The whole point of a archer would be to get targets from a distance.

I love the idea of rangers and the way new bows combat is going to be given to them. It will make them change and force them to be more skilled other then the spam a stack of arrows at a person to kill them. They will need to be stealthy and accurate. on 1.8 its been a lot of fun hitting from a long distance and the fact that you have that distance is going to be a huge boost in combat. Yes lag will effect it, but it goes the same with the a real life hunter now. You really have to pick you time to attack. Wait for hem to stop or go in a paticular direction. I have hated how rangers have been mainly because all they had to do is spam arrows out. Now a ton of rangers are freaking out because , oh my god now it takes skill.

So yea rangers will be getting a damage boost and if the critical isn't enough of a dmg boost I'm sure there will be fixes.

Kingtom404

Legacy Supporter 3
If you arrow spam half the arrows bounce off, because you can only hit a player so many times per few seconds.

oooh ok, yea in 1.8 the arrows actually stick into the target. Your can't arrow spam because they wouldnt go very far making each shot count, when you hit a target the arrow stays in it, atleast on he mobs

vudani

Legacy Supporter 4
No, you guys must not play a ranger or not play it very well. The only way to hit a target is hit it in the future.

I played a ranger a lot lol and I was good. Obviously your dmg isn't going to be instant so you have to shoot a head of them in order for them to get hit by essentially having them run into where the shot will be. So if they are running left you shoot farther left then they are to get them.

My point is now, instead of simply (and I can't stress that word enough) spamming ur right click and aiming roughly in the general direction of people and killing them. It will now force people to aim and really make each shot count. I'm sure that if its impossible to hit a target they will play around with plugins to fix the lag but, its not that hard to shoot a target from a decent ways away in 1.8

Doogler

Legacy Supporter 2
I look forward to 1.8, ill be using less arrows for sure. I admit to spamming a lot of the time now because..because I can and it works. Every ranger on the server spams arrows sometimes. I'm excited, and im staying ranger for 1.8

7thKnight

Legacy Supporter 7
I remember back in the old map when everyone had bows and the key to winning was who had the most arrows. I remember one fight where a guy charged at me with full diamond and I whipped out my bow and peppered him with nearly 200 arrows. Was hilarious.

1.8 to hero rangers though, will fire arrow be a fully charged shot or will it be just below fully charged? Will an instant fully charged shot be a skill? A skill that makes you fire as many fully charged shots as you can spam for a few seconds? With the addition of the slowdown in the coding will that be able to transfer to other skills like icebolt and root?

Rangers will be forced to go a bit more range and plan out attacks much better. I do believe that rangers should have a melee weapon as well, iron or stone sword so that they aren't completely useless close range. I wonder if skill traps are possible? Otherwise Rangers should get some practice laying down traps to catch their opponents off guard. Something simple like laying down some cacti or some 2-3 deep trenches in the off chance one of them might fall in, or even spend a bit more time and do some sand/torch pits.

jwplayer0

Legacy Supporter 6
well, my sugestion would be to calculate damage based on the distance the arrow travels, if possible. Since rangers are meant to shoot from ranged, but dificulty of shot increases the farther the target is, damage x distance travel will make a hard accurate shot worth it. and will also make shots made from short ranged take hella more arrows to get the kill.

I would agree with you jwplayer, but the problem would be the short ranger. Because if they had a bow fully charged walking incredibly slow and a target is now really close and they use it and it only hurts a little bit because they are close range. I'm thinking that it should be just the amount of how charged the bow is. Because with it pulled fully back they are walking slow and vulnerable. If they put them selves into that vulnerability they should be allowed the damage that comes with it. If they get that shot off they might have a chance to win the fight but if they don't they wasted a lot of time and distance between the target, when they could have ran away.

It balances itself out, just as long as the damage is balanced correctly

Hydroking77

Legacy Supporter 7
2 Ideas (these are for when the server goes to 1.8 and with the new bow)

1. I was thinking explosive arrows. Not overpowering but medium splash dmg like a creeper but not as powerful. I was thinking maybe 4 per minute.

2. Gillie suit - Consumes 5 wheat. I think wheat because it is the item I think of when think of a gillie suit in minecraft. It acts like vanish but it shouldn't announce the player used it. The skill wears off if the player moves in the x, y, or z fields so I believe that will allow turning for aiming or the player gets hit.

I do not know what the mana should be to allow the skill I will let you all discuss that.

Hydroking77

Legacy Supporter 7
Ooooh a thought. what if you stay invisuable until you get a hit on other player, get hit, or move and I think you should be able to use items like food for the hunger bar in 1.8.

Fire balls are the same projectile as a snowball i believe hence the snowball ( i think not completely sure) and Hydro I love the ideas! They sound really awesome! I love the idea of that Gillie suit, it would make for a very interesting playing style! All for it!