• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion How to make the world feel more populated.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
I don't necessarily agree with you here. If you compare the start of this map to what we have currently the issue is that there are towns that are dead but are kept active by 1-2 players keeping taxes up. I personally think we need to police whether players are active or not, however the issue then arises that this takes a significant amount of time from the staff. Other problems I foresee is that you cannot easily remove players from towns that are inactive because of the way the plugin is designed (not being able to change states while a player is offline) and that we currently have no way to track when a player last logged in and for how long.These towns are the reason that we needed to expand the town cap and why some towns are low population.

However this isn't the only problem I see. Some players don't want to go through the hassle of applying to a town (which all towns currently do for their own protection since when joining a town that player now has access to everything) while other people just don't want to join an existing town regardless and want to build their own setup. While everyone knows of a solution to the town safety issue it's not an easy fix to implement as we both know. As for the other reason there isn't really a solution to it and is something we're going to have to deal with one way or another.

What plugin are we using for towns? Is it a custom Heroes plugin? I know Towny ,which is used on many servers, has plenty of permissions that can restrict what players can do even within the town, as well as having a way of checking for last login built into it. One of the downsides is that the way Towny works is that it's a bedrock to space protection, meaning you can't have vertical 'apartments' the way we have now.

my opinion keep greyson the same and then add warshard and forgelight together You would solve the problems of people arguing about what its about or you could add it so people could spawn in beds or have certain TP points around the map

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
We're using our own plugin. Towny is not a well written plugin and is not something we would place into our server as every plugin we're running is designed to be as lightweight as possible to reduce lag.

my opinion keep greyson the same and then add warshard and forgelight together You would solve the problems of people arguing about what its about or you could add it so people could spawn in beds or have certain TP points around the map
Beds just insite spawn camping so unless we build an entirely new system that won't be happening.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
We're using our own plugin. Towny is not a well written plugin and is not something we would place into our server as every plugin we're running is designed to be as lightweight as possible to reduce lag.

Understandable, but it does have a few things you could use as inspiration. The way of tracking last logins, for example, and permissions for players in the region.

Put your bed inside a town or somewere safe you always have to have that you could also make a town spawn or somthing like that

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Put your bed inside a town or somewere safe you always have to have that you could also make a town spawn or somthing like that
Either way I don't think the issue here with the world feeling less populated is the cause of the graveyards. Take a look at what spawn was like last map when compared to this map. There are fewer people traveling to spawn and because no one travels to spawn there is no trade hub which in turn attracts fewer people to spawn.

This is what I believe is one of the major problems we need to solve. Trade is almost non existent anymore, it seems to have died out as the map has progressed.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
Either way I don't think the issue here with the world feeling less populated is the cause of the graveyards. Take a look at what spawn was like last map when compared to this map. There are fewer people traveling to spawn and because no one travels to spawn there is no trade hub which in turn attracts fewer people to spawn.

This is what I believe is one of the major problems we need to solve. Trade is almost non existent anymore, it seems to have died out as the map has progressed.

I agree with this. And I think partly the fault is that there isn't a dedicated no-PvP area for trade, and people are also getting better at Minecraft to get their own goods. I was just walking to spawn not five minutes ago, and I didn't stop at any of the shops despite a bit of curiosity as to the prices because if I did, I was afraid I'd get ganked from behind. When gabizou and the Architects finish the trade area at spawn, it might increase trade.

When you think about it there really isn't much need for trade. A good town will have every profession available, which means Diamonds (Alchemist), Pistons and Redstone (Engineer), Tracks (Ranger), Lifts and Gates and Bridges (Mason), Repairs (Smith), etc. They'll also have a bunch of farms, and a good number of people also mine in both Bastion and Forgelight. This means that a good town will almost never really need to trade. If you're going the route of decreasing town caps to increase town sizes, this will actually LOWER trade since the towns will have more people able to do all these things.

I'm currently drawing a blank on ways to actually increase trade aside from the no-PvP trade area, but eh. xD

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
Instead of many towns consider far less, each with the ability to add districts, pretty much mini towns that just connect to a base town. This would promote a more populated feeling at least for people in towns. As for in the wilderness, there should be a feeling of solitude when you live out there.

Make each district added twice as expensive as the last to keep the town sizes in check. Also with each district added a higher tax is incurred, one where it requires each district to contribute.

This way if a district isn't pulling its weight the rest of the town can elect to let it fall into ruins (removing all protection from it). This would lower their taxes. Which would keep it from going under. The key is high enough taxes per district to make it not manageable by just 1-2 people with a lot of money.

I think this would make it more organic.

Cut out the extra maps, have a tutorial area that leads into a freebuild pvp off area (a place to make friends and learn the commands) After you level up to a certain point you leave the freebuild area to the main map.

As for the mining world, you could get rid of it by making mining zones on the main map. Perhaps an area with pvp off, but requires a "mining permit" which costs coin. This area is reset periodically. Or even have the Mining Permit allow for an amount of time on a mining map with pvp off that costs money to buy.

Just a few ideas, Probably would require a complete overhaul, but as it stands that seems inevitable anyway.