• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

How do you play/Setup pictures

TimForReal

AdminForReal
Rules Council
Architect
Herald
Event Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Cant u just open other tabs on one computer though?

Game center screen, browser left screen, TS/Voice Chat + mIRC on the right. One example of 3 screens, I could go on.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Cant u just open other tabs on one computer though?
Yeah, but for me it's really handy to be able to look left and see monster info/initiative/DC checks for skills, or even just let youtube play while I play on another console/do work.

I don't have a 3rd screen, but I know I'd use it.

TimForReal

AdminForReal
Rules Council
Architect
Herald
Event Team
Max Legacy Supporter
4e5f25918c.jpg

My setup.

That's a mini fridge under my desk to the right, don't be too jealous.

youtube on one, forums on 2 and game on another. Remote connections on all three allows me to work on three clients at once. Homework on one, research on another, and email. The level of productivity is insane.
That's kinda stupid.
The first scenario you need one for game then the other screens can just be on a phone (what I do, 0 flaws).
The second scenario you can just, y'know, have tabs.

I think it's less about what you actually do with three monitors, which can easily be accomplished without three, but more about having your station look cool, which makes you feel like a pro-gamer. Some say I just think like this cause I'm cheap af, but I say I'm practical.

It's like how I'm driving my 5K used Nissan more effectively (faster/in a more fun fashion) than all these people in their new BMW's and Mercs.

How much does a monitor go for nowadays anyway? I know they're not ridiculously expensive, but there's still a good chunk of change involved in getting three of them.

Paul_Bakken

Obsidian
...and here I am, still using my single CRT monitor from the 90's...

Can't really complain, though: awesome refresh rate, no ghosting. Definitely a step up from what it replaced, which was an 80's era IBM monochrome "green screen" monitor.

BeasttRecon

Legacy Supporter 4
That's kinda stupid.
The first scenario you need one for game then the other screens can just be on a phone (what I do, 0 flaws).

I think it's less about what you actually do with three monitors, which can easily be accomplished without three, but more about having your station look cool, which makes you feel like a pro-gamer. Some say I just think like this cause I'm cheap af, but I say I'm practical.

It's like how I'm driving my 5K used Nissan more effectively (faster/in a more fun fashion) than all these people in their new BMW's and Mercs.

How much does a monitor go for nowadays anyway? I know they're not ridiculously expensive, but there's still a good chunk of change involved in getting three of them.
this is what someone who doesnt own a bmw/merc would say

w0nd3rb0y

Legacy Supporter 5
That's kinda stupid.

Yes, most of what you are saying can be completed on one screen. But, that greatly reduces productivity. Working in IT would be much harder with just one screen. You also said 0 flaws with using your phone, however my screen is 24" versus a 4-5" screen. In terms of cost, you can buy the left and right monitors (RL2455) for about 200 right now, and the center monitor (RL2460) for about 220 USD that is. Monitors can get pricey though. These are not very note worthy in terms of specs. 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms RT. Eventually I will probably have 3 27" ROG swifts but those are about 700-800 a piece. Trust me when I tell you, 3 monitors is worth every penny. It is not just a "visual" thing.

Yes, most of what you are saying can be completed on one screen. But, that greatly reduces productivity. Working in IT would be much harder with just one screen. You also said 0 flaws with using your phone, however my screen is 24" versus a 4-5" screen. In terms of cost, you can buy the left and right monitors (RL2455) for about 200 right now, and the center monitor (RL2460) for about 220 USD that is. Monitors can get pricey though. These are not very note worthy in terms of specs. 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms RT. Eventually I will probably have 3 27" ROG swifts but those are about 700-800 a piece. Trust me when I tell you, 3 monitors is worth every penny. It is not just a "visual" thing.
I have no issue with the screen size of my phone, because I can just zoom to make anything bigger. Problem solved. Plus, a phone is highly portable, so you can continue to access certain data while on the move without lugging around a bulky laptop. And, y'know, the majority of people (in the US at least) already own a smartphone, so it wouldn't cost extra to set up.

I think you underestimate my productivity with one screen.

Also, what do you do as an IT that requires three screens?

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I have no issue with the screen size of my phone, because I can just zoom to make anything bigger. Problem solved. Plus, a phone is highly portable, so you can continue to access certain data while on the move without lugging around a bulky laptop. And, y'know, the majority of people (in the US at least) already own a smartphone, so it wouldn't cost extra to set up.

I think you underestimate my productivity with one screen.

Also, what do you do as an IT that requires three screens?
It's 1000x more convenient and actually useful having a 2nd monitor. Either YT on one screen and games/work on the other, or for D&D where I can reference notes and initiave rolls on the 2nd, with the main map and player info on the main. Sure I could use my phone but it's inferior to the 2nd screen. Most of the data I access on the 2nd screen I'd never need to access on the go, so the portable part is irrelevant (And laptops are not that large if you get a newish one, only older ones are really large.)

The 2nd screen is far superior to when I tried using my phone (And I did for a while before my parents gave me the 2nd TV as a gift since they were gonna throw it out).

It's 1000x more convenient and actually useful having a 2nd monitor. Either YT on one screen and games/work on the other, or for D&D where I can reference notes and initiave rolls on the 2nd, with the main map and player info on the main. Sure I could use my phone but it's inferior to the 2nd screen. Most of the data I access on the 2nd screen I'd never need to access on the go, so the portable part is irrelevant (And laptops are not that large if you get a newish one, only older ones are really large.)

The 2nd screen is far superior to when I tried using my phone (And I did for a while before my parents gave me the 2nd TV as a gift since they were gonna throw it out).
For D&D we just got the handbook.

But for real though, multiple monitors versus tabs is mildly more convenient, but is it $200-$800 a piece more convenient?

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
For D&D we just got the handbook.

But for real though, multiple monitors versus tabs is mildly more convenient, but is it $200-$800 a piece more convenient?
If I was in person I'd agree, handbooks. But we play on Roll20, and the books are really expensive, take up a lot of space, and on the computer I have screenshots of what I need, not 300 pages of information.

Tabs are alright if you're only working in 1 application. Working across Chrome, Word, Notepad++, Acrobat, or whatever else is open, tabs do nothing. I can't open a new tab in word to keep my chrome page up.

It all depends on if you have the use for it. I use the 2nd screen a ton, and it's definitely been worth it for me, even I had to have payed for it.

If I was in person I'd agree, handbooks. But we play on Roll20, and the books are really expensive, take up a lot of space, and on the computer I have screenshots of what I need, not 300 pages of information.

Tabs are alright if you're only working in 1 application. Working across Chrome, Word, Notepad++, Acrobat, or whatever else is open, tabs do nothing. I can't open a new tab in word to keep my chrome page up.

It all depends on if you have the use for it. I use the 2nd screen a ton, and it's definitely been worth it for me, even I had to have payed for it.
I'll typically work in 3 different applications depending on what I'm doing and have no organizational issues on just my laptop.