• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Heroes (RPG) - Your thoughts?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
First off - I will say this was rushed out a little on some aspects. We'll be fixing them.

Secondly, - this test was mainly a "here - this is how it will be" more than a balance test.

There are several issues with some of the skills that are getting ironed out. The main portions to be tested are the inventory restrictions and exp / leveling process.

Let me know what you think. You can make balance suggestions - but please do not focus only on balance - since it has barely been touched on our side.

Heroes Issues Report -> http://redmine.dthielke.com/projects/heroes

Raktus

Air
One suggestion, maybe rename Crafter to Miner? Their XP gain is directly from mining and not crafting, seems like a slight misnomer. That or give them XP for creating stuff? Dunno, just throwing that out there.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Raktus said:
One suggestion, maybe rename Crafter to Miner? Their XP gain is directly from mining and not crafting, seems like a slight misnomer. That or give them XP for creating stuff? Dunno, just throwing that out there.

Crafter will be directly gaining exp from mining/logging/crafting unique pieces - beds/armor/etc - it's just not in yet.

Figgis

Legacy Supporter 5
Actually really enjoying this so far. Everyone that has been apart of coding this is doing a great job so far. Keep it up yo.

AfroDave

Legacy Supporter 3
My only request is make it a bit easier for mages to level up. As compared to other classes it is really hard to level up.

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
well, mages are like that in every rpg: hard to level, but they can almost one-shoot you from a distance in pvp with lightning, fire and other stuffs

carmeops said:
well, mages are like that in every rpg: hard to level, but they can almost one-shoot you from a distance in pvp with lightning, fire and other stuffs

Three block distance isn't much. Plus it only works about a 1/3 of the time its used. The range of an arrow would nice or It would be cool if you could bind it will the bow and shoot them with arrows that explode. The Mage has great potential though over all.

On another note the classes are really cool and add a depth to the game that is greatly needed.

Oh and fireball hurts players in no pvp zones.

Drastikos

Legacy Supporter 3
AfroDave said:
My only request is make it a bit easier for mages to level up. As compared to other classes it is really hard to level up.

QFT!

Between the wood only tools, my fireball working 10% of the time and it hitting the target 10% of that.. There's only so many pigs and cows I can farm points from! :icon_lol:

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Mages - getting a new skill to use mana more and have a range effect "Flaming Snowballs" or "Flaming Magic Arrow"

In either case - for the time being - Mages now have the ability to use STONE weps - for the temp under their new ability is in.

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
One thing I have noticed is its a bit annoying when crafters mine normal stone since the +1EXP pops up all the time. Perhaps have exp from mining normal stone not show up?

Punisher79

Support the Death Penalty
Legacy Supporter 5
Diavolo1988 said:
One thing I have noticed is its a bit annoying when crafters mine normal stone since the +1EXP pops up all the time. Perhaps have exp from mining normal stone not show up?

YES! THIS is very annoying. It has to have the ability to toggle that. Almost impossible to see where you are mining!

Also, I hope that HEROES plugin is implemented as soon as the Newer Server is back up and running...

Im not gonna be able to go back to the way it was before this Plug.

XxPhogxX

Air
First off, I would just like to say that I am loving the new RPG system and can't wait to use it on a real map. While I was playing an idea struck me. What if every player had a combat skill and a non-combat skill. So people could be mage-crafters, or rogue-miners, or warrior-woodcutters. People would have different levels for their combat and non combat skills. So if you wanted to just focus on being a fighter and not a crafter, thats fine. If you want to mainly be a miner, thats ok too. The implication of this system would be in towns and guilds. For a town to really work you would have to have a good mix of people with different skills. So, you couldn't just have all crafters or all miners, you would need a good mix of classes for your town to be successful. This is just a suggestion so, I would like some feedback on it.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
XxPhogxX said:
First off, I would just like to say that I am loving the new RPG system and can't wait to use it on a real map. While I was playing an idea struck me. What if every player had a combat skill and a non-combat skill. So people could be mage-crafters, or rogue-miners, or warrior-woodcutters. People would have different levels for their combat and non combat skills. So if you wanted to just focus on being a fighter and not a crafter, thats fine. If you want to mainly be a miner, thats ok too. The implication of this system would be in towns and guilds. For a town to really work you would have to have a good mix of people with different skills. So, you couldn't just have all crafters or all miners, you would need a good mix of classes for your town to be successful. This is just a suggestion so, I would like some feedback on it.

We won't be doing secondary professions at the moment. There's not a need for it at this time.

Raolan

TNT
Andwey said:
The only thing I dislike is the high exp loss rate. Level 3 and you lose 124 D:

Yeah, this will end up like Aion. The game that aims for PvP but everyone is too paranoid to do it because they lose a ridiculous amount of Abyss Points whenever they die.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I think I like the idea of losing levels occasionally. Your exp is something that needs maintaining, rather than hoarding. And we have plenty of mobs to murder between PvP battles. Couldn't really comment on how much were losing per death now.

Luke Strife

Legacy Supporter 3
Dazureus said:
I think I like the idea of losing levels occasionally. Your exp is something that needs maintaining, rather than hoarding. And we have plenty of mobs to murder between PvP battles. Couldn't really comment on how much were losing per death now.

It is quite bad at the moment though. At level 1 you lose 25 points, which is rather extortionate when you've only just started out and killed a few things really. I agree that the penalty should get proportionally higher as you level up, but not so huge so quickly.

A few percentage of your current amount of exp would be sufficient. Not a big deal at first, but at the higher levels (where you technically should be a more skillful player) it's a greater loss that you can actually feel. For example, Ragnarok Online has a 1% exp loss when you die, it feels fair in the lower levels, and a lot of work in the higher levels. A death at level 10 would just be a few minutes to recoup your loss, whereas a death at level 98 would be an hour or two's work (of grinding, that is).

Raolan

TNT
Dazureus said:

I do like how you pretty much quoted everything wrong with Aion.

You grind mobs to get your AP up whilst being shit scared of a PvP fight that will take it all away.
You use that AP to either get better items or to rank up.
The only time you ever PvP is when the admins are nice and hold an event that halves AP loss at PvP death.

Only in this case it's worse, because you lose some levels and thus lose some skills. So instead of in Aion's case it just being a matter of whether you care about it or not, in HC's case it would be a matter of life and death or how much more you have to grind before you can enter PvP without being wtfpwnt by that Wizard that throws a million lightning bolts your way while you've been knocked back to whatever shitty skill you never used when you got bolt.

Drastically reduce PvP experience loss, make all hostile mobs miniature Chuckie Norrichan's that are actually harder to kill than sheep and make death from them cause high experience loss.

As you should be able to tell, that was a joke idea. Please don't put it in. I don't want a Creeper with the face of Chuck Norris sneaking up behind me.