• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[Heroes] Don't spread content too thin

pyrokinetic

Legacy Supporter 4
So let me just start by saying I think the heroes mod is AWESOME and I think the coders have done a great job making a mod with more potential than any other I've seen.

Now I'm not sure if it's official but I've heard that soon a new class (or mage spec) "Alchemist" will be the only one able to use/make cauldrons

While this sounds good, it seems that content will be spread too thin. Instead of limiting cauldrons to just the people who pick that path, why not make it so 50+ Casters (including specs) can use/make them? This lets a wider audience use a mechanic/feature rather than limiting it to the few people who chose to specifically go for that while being less efficient in everything else.

I'm against one person being a jack-of-all trades but if abilities are spread out too much people will get really bored. It's better off to give everyone a decent amount of abilities than just a few.

There's a balance with class-based RPG content, and to me it feels like it's going to sway towards the end where you dedicate yourself to use one mechanic while nearly abandoning everything else. It seems to me the current classes/specs make a fine tree with lots of room for content, but if you go too far down that tree, everyone will have less mechanics of the game to use.

I'm sure you're still working on content as the whole mod is new and I have no idea of what your plans actually are so this whole thread may be moot, I'm just expressing my concern that this potential doesn't get ruined by silly things such as too few abilities spread over too many classes.

sheddi

Legacy Supporter 3
in my opinion it seems like a good idea so me as a mage if i want leaf blocks i gotta buy them from alchemist and it will ad more diversity to the classes

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
All games do it, because it is a good idea. Each class/profession/w.e gets its own perks and things its able to do which allows them to have something to sell to others. If they don't have that the class is useless as a crafter. The one class gets redstone circuits, which makes that class useful. Another gets armor/tool/wep repairing, which makes that one useful.

Without the cauldrons alchemist wouldn't be a class anyone would want to be.

pyrokinetic

Legacy Supporter 4
Yeah I agree with you guys, but my point is that it will be frustrating to dedicate your character to something so that they can do just one thing, there really should be a little more diversity to what people can do with their specs. Yes relying on eachother is good but it gets kind of stupid when it goes too far. Other than to use cauldrons, why would anyone want to be an alchemist? Sure, people will need you to use cauldrons, but what can you do after that? Even if they pay you, you're now an alchemist who can't enjoy pvp or faster/better mining/crafting due to other classes doing it so much better. You now have money but don't really have anything to do with it (unless you save up to get a class change - in which case, why not choose the other class in the first place?)

If you think of the system as a tree, i'm saying there should be less branches and more leaves per branch.

Doing something like moving the alchemist's abilities to be unlocked along the caster levelling will give all casters more to do while not making someone choose a dead end path as an alchemist.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The alchemist will be getting Transmutation skills via Heroes - when and if that time comes - we may be giving cauldrons to max level specializations of Crafters.

pyrokinetic

Legacy Supporter 4
The alchemist will be getting Transmutation skills via Heroes - when and if that time comes - we may be giving cauldrons to max level specializations of Crafters.
Ok so as I'd hoped it sounds like there's a lot more content planned. :)

Since that's the case, disregard this whole thread.