• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Herocraft 3.14 Patch Notes

DThielke

Retired Staff
Also, are splash/regular potions on a single cooldown, or two separate ones?

They have a share a cooldown, but don't necessarily trigger a cooldown of the same duration. If you use a splash healing potion for example, you won't be able to use any other healing potions for two minutes. If you use a normal healing potion, however, you won't be able to use other healing potions for a minute. (These cooldowns are purely for the purpose of this example).

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
3 minutes is a rather high duration of a cooldown for potions =/ Perhaps some tweaking is in order?

Also, restricting splash potions gives the alchemist profession a "PvP advantage" that Kain strictly is trying to avoid.

Not to mention, it eliminates half of an alchemists marketable wares when it comes to brewing.

@Kainzo

Your feedback, thoughts please.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
3 minutes is a rather high duration of a cooldown for potions =/ Perhaps some tweaking is in order?

Also, restricting splash potions gives the alchemist profession a "PvP advantage" that Kain strictly is trying to avoid.

Not to mention, it eliminates half of an alchemists marketable wares when it comes to brewing.

@Kainzo

Your feedback, thoughts please.
All of this is configurable - its the first run of balancing cooldowns, I'm of course all ears

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
Okay, well you can see my concerns from the above post. :)

I believe it would make economic sense as well as keep PvP balanced to allow splash potions to be used by all. If you have ever seen a thrown poison potion tested you will know what I mean.

I know that you are trying to prevent any one profession from having a PvP advantage, and me being the only one able to lob flasks around seems a bit unfair to others.

Also the cooldown of 3 minutes seems a bit high. What are your thoughts on 1:00-1:30?

@Kainzo

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Three minutes sounds good to me. Rather than potions being skills almost and doing large amounts of damage, a nice splash poison can simply be a quick attack on several people before your party attacks them. Not sure on the damage, but even if its low it would be unexpected damage and every bit helps you guys win.

One person uses poison splash, maybe two. They are casters which then back off from the fight and shoot fireballs. Now that the enemy is weakened in that second where you attacked them the warriors/rogues go in with a healing potion each and trash them. They have less health to start off with from the poison potions and your party has healing potions.

They shouldn't be able to turn the tide of a battle completely with one potion, but help little bits like the above situation. If the cool down was low enough to use multiple times in a fight, pvp would turn into both sides spamming poison potions as fast as they could while running around each other in circles.

EDIT: Also, with a three minute cool down it does not really give them a large advantage. Everyone should travel in small groups when moving, I almost always do. With a three minute CD they could only use the potion once, giving a SMALL advantage, but a group could take them especially if you are prepared for pvp at all times as you should be and have a healer or potions of you own.

Well, wolfgang, now that you put it like that, 3 minute cooldowns actually seem pretty agreeable. I can perfectly understand, and visualize, potions being used as such.

stronghold: Just google it, it should be the first result. Tis where I downloaded it.

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
Even if the cooldown were reduced to 1 minute, no battle will ever come down to two people dancing around each other, lobbing potions, this is because:

1. Poison cannot outright kill a player.
2. 60/180 seconds is far too long for anyone to completely stop engaging in a fight.
3. Skills are vastly more effective.
4. Damage can always be tweaked if it's felt to be too high.

jwplayer0

Legacy Supporter 6
3 mins is good enough, its about the average amount of time for the instant potion use in most mmo's. Their not really meant but to be used once in battle, even if its prolonged, which is why 3 mins is about the time you want it.

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
3 mins is good enough, its about the average amount of time for the instant potion use in most mmo's. Their not really meant but to be used once in battle, even if its prolonged, which is why 3 mins is about the time you want it.

We aren't try to copy other MMO's I give not a single damn what WoW/Runescape/SW:TOR or any other major game does. We are our own. Why are potions only supposed to be used once per battle?