• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Hero gates

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Because they opened up the map, in a good way. They prevented people from being isolated, they allowed exploration and also being far from spawn did not necessarily mean you were in the middle of nowhere.
None of those things are happening at the moment. The map is already quite open. People will isolate themselves if they want to. Exploration is already done, no new areas...

While I'm not opposed to the return of the main-gates, lets make sure we know why we want them ;)

c12095

Holy Shit!
None of those things are happening at the moment. The map is already quite open. People will isolate themselves if they want to. Exploration is already done, no new areas...

While I'm not opposed to the return of the main-gates, lets make sure we know why we want them ;)

These are the reasons... As of now it requires you to be one of two classes to teleport, which restricts the amount of people that can really "explore". Everything near spawn has been demolished or defiled in some way by players, being able to just run around and see what has yet to be touched and what people who isolate themselves have built is one of the great things about this game. I for one explored constantly when Herogates were in because it allowed easy access out of the "known" areas of the map.

Don't take everything said at face value... There are many underlining meanings to many things said in short.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Kainzo the reason Herogates are popular is that they allow people to remove the least important and most discouraging aspect of world pvp, travel time.

World pvp is best when people can and do commonly use the same types of transportation. As long as there are multiple options for travel (ie take the road expecting to run into people versus take the wilderness and expecting a more peaceful trip) we will not see issues with camping. Transportation hub and method implementation in Herocraft should have similar effects to Irl, it will increase interactions both economical and combat.

Edit: Kainzo I believe the thread you refer to, that says Herogates would be detrimental to pvp, largely deals with camping. Therefore it is important to note that if implemented, they should be in a graveyard sized area with a one way exit, and the Herogates should not be overly attractive as a form of travel. How do we place limiters on Herogates potential? We add in coin/reagent cost. We keep alternatives like spec ports and roads maintained at good levels. And the big one, we find a way to stop campers.

What if going through a Herogate cost 15c, and gave you Strength 1 and Resistance 1 for 30 secs? That would discourage people camping within ~100 blocks of the Gate. Buffs would not last long enough to be used in anything other than camper fighting.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I think that Herogates would reduce the exceptionally high amount of Wizards currently.

I would say the Herogates look like a good idea (as I understand from reading up on them, they're gigantic sword shaped structures that can teleport players in a network across the map?), connecting key hub areas at parts of the map so it's evenly spread.
However, this nullifies much of the reason to become a wizard or mystic. Then, you're just there for your offensive and ranged spells. Hmm.

If we had infinite potential with mods, something like the first Fable game's Cullis Gate system wouldn't be too unbalanced.
You get permission to teleport to a town's Gate by the owner via the Gate network, which randomly shunts you to your unlocked Gates. Gates are created by extremely high level wizards and mystics (possibly other classes too, necromancer could work) or perhaps at the discretion of anyone who builds the map or is a admin, but are capable of being used for great things under good mayors... And great evils under the reign of traitors slipping in enemies to kill his or her townsfolk. Like a Palantir from Lord of the Rings, only as safe as who has access to it.

It kinda gives a quest type thing for players: explore the world and unlock each Herogate for yourself, and hope no raiders have been given access to one near your base.
I would suppose that some Gates would be placed unattended in the middle of the deepest wildernesses. Those ones could be accessible to anyone once they have been in close proximity to it, but if a town is established on it, it becomes under the control of the town owner, but not erasing access to those who gained access to it before.

That's my suggestion on how Herogates could return as I understand the basic logic for why they existed in the first place.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
I would say the Herogates look like a good idea (as I understand from reading up on them, they're gigantic sword shaped structures that can teleport players in a network across the map?), connecting key hub areas at parts of the map so it's evenly spread.
However, this nullifies much of the reason to become a wizard or mystic. Then, you're just there for your offensive and ranged spells. Hmm.

If we had infinite potential with mods, something like the first Fable game's Cullis Gate system wouldn't be too unbalanced.
You get permission to teleport to a town's Gate by the owner via the Gate network, which randomly shunts you to your unlocked Gates. Gates are created by extremely high level wizards and mystics (possibly other classes too, necromancer could work) or perhaps at the discretion of anyone who builds the map or is a admin, but are capable of being used for great things under good mayors... And great evils under the reign of traitors slipping in enemies to kill his or her townsfolk. Like a Palantir from Lord of the Rings, only as safe as who has access to it.

It kinda gives a quest type thing for players: explore the world and unlock each Herogate for yourself, and hope no raiders have been given access to one near your base.
I would suppose that some Gates would be placed unattended in the middle of the deepest wildernesses. Those ones could be accessible to anyone once they have been in close proximity to it, but if a town is established on it, it becomes under the control of the town owner, but not erasing access to those who gained access to it before.

That's my suggestion on how Herogates could return as I understand the basic logic for why they existed in the first place.

On the previus map there were 4 gates, and wizards were still vital for raiding since the spires are at different locations.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
Note: I read the first page and kind of skipped a bit on the second, so what I'm about to say might have been said before. If so, sorry :3
Also, it's pretty late for me right now, so this turned out to be a pretty confusing post. Have fun!

----

I was there when township Herogates were in effect and I was PVPing quite heavily at the time. In fact, it was pretty much all I did on MC. What we saw back then was that everyone just used their towns' Herogate instead of walking where they had to go. Finding a player in the wilderness was extremely rare.

More instant travel will only lead to shorter ways, less travel as a result and less PVPers that care enough to prey on the lower amount of moving players. Furthermore, they encourage camping (bigger groups).

Gates in any form actually do the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve. They don't open up the map but reduce the active parts of a map to the routes between gates and towns. There won't be more PVP, it will just be elsewhere and it will only lead to PVP parties focusing on those active parts which in turn leads to massive clusterfucks that are entertaining but not what you seem to be looking for.

Basically, if PVP parties are too much to take on for you, you are too late to the party or you don't want to kill noobs, then I'm afraid the reasons for you finding nobody to PVP lie solely in your own person and can easily be fixed by being in a PVP party, being in said party ON TIME or killing the noobs respectively.

Advantages 2, 3 and 4 OP stated are not worthy of discussion and I already stated my opinion on 1 and 5 above.

On the subject of PVP arenas:
The thing here is I think that everyone needs to decide whether they want open world PVP or skirmish-style PVP since many players seem to like both and both also have their advantages over the other.

Personally, I think that the current ranking system is unnecessary and that it discourages conventional Minecraft PVP. Furthermore, arena type matches make it pretty much impossible to sneak up on an enemy as everyone expects to be attacked anyhow. I agree with the notion of entirely taking out these instant-action systems for PVP.

My reasoning is that if everyone currently fighting in arenas was forced to find enemies in open-world scenarios, there'd be more open-world PVP overall, right?

TL;DR: If you want solo PVP, delete all forms of instant travel and instant arena action.

You probably still won't have a lot of it, but the chances of encountering a single foe will be higher with all arena and skirmish prOs out in the wild.

Heroes still sucks!