• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [General] Engineer: Getting XP from crafting engineering materials.

Babibab

Legacy Supporter 4
Hello everyone,

It has occured to me, while looking for ways to travel cheap around the map, and for ways to make Engineering xp, that creating raliroad tracks generates no xp. After further crafting, I noticed that making repeaters, powered rails, activator rails doesn't generate any engineering xp, when these objects are, for the most part, engineering class specific.

It seems to me that the crafting of these objects should generate engineering xp, it would encourage their crafting and thus their use, making a slight change in the engineer's way of leveling. And be a little more RP.

For example, crafting an Iron pick takes 3 iron ingots and two sticks, it generates 9 xp. Crafting a set of 16 railroad tracks cost 6 ingots and a stick, but doesn't generate xp. The ressources used are doubled for the tracks and generate no xp. It seems to me there is a slight paradox in this.

On another note: I noticed that crafting gold chestplates, which uses 8 gold ingots generates 150 xp, which is massive imo.
As an engi, this craft should not generate xp for me, but for a smith or miner only.
Miners get xp from smelting ores, which is absolutely RP and logical, in the wake of the mason's fusion with the engi, shouldn't the engi be making small amounts of xp from making bricks, hardened clay, stonebricks? (like 5 xp for a stack maybe?)

Thanks
Babibab

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
From what I can throw my guesses at based on the wiki, the XP source is just "CRAFTING" or similar.
Any class granted crafting xp is granted that source, which has all of the values set.
Could be wrong, but it seems to be the case.

Babibab

Legacy Supporter 4
Thanks for that link, cleared up some things in my mind.

It might be because I haven't been around the server for so long, but, why is gold such an XP gainer? Gold is as rare as diamond in vanilla generation standards, but dayum! A diamond chestplate is worth 50 xp to craft, and a gold one 120?

I understand that gold used to be the monetary standard for the server, before we had souls, such a gap in xp gain might have been linked to that ressource being a money also?.... Would you explain?

Bear with me here...so if the way for a profession to gain xp is by "allowing" that prof to access xp from differents skillsets (farming, mining, etc) , and you don't have specific "xp sets" (meaning an item only craftable by a profession at level X will not generate xp) Shouldn't rails and powered rails be attached to the crafting group?

I've made a list of the items that I think should generate crafting xp. The items featured on this list are generally items that are quite ressource heavy, and thus appear illogical in the fact they don't give xp, but use as much ressources as other objects that do, like a pickaxe:

- Minecarts (5 iron ingots for 1 piece)
- Railroad tracks (6 iron ingots for 16 pieces)
- Powered Rails (6 gold ingots for 4 piece)
- Compass (4 ingots for 1 piece)

This list could go on, these where the one that came to mind, I do not mean for this post to be invasive or aggressive in any way ( I can already feel the people saying" how dare you!111") I just feel that there is a paradox in not getting xp from crafting many of those late-game objects.

Thanks,
Babibab

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
This makes a lot of sense to me as well and I noted much of this while trying to level crafter and now enchanter.i believe though @Babibab that much oft his may be in the works as I have seen enchanters adjusted for their crafts and Xp gains

Ultanian

Portal
Thanks for that link, cleared up some things in my mind.

It might be because I haven't been around the server for so long, but, why is gold such an XP gainer? Gold is as rare as diamond in vanilla generation standards, but dayum! A diamond chestplate is worth 50 xp to craft, and a gold one 120?

I understand that gold used to be the monetary standard for the server, before we had souls, such a gap in xp gain might have been linked to that ressource being a money also?.... Would you explain?

Bear with me here...so if the way for a profession to gain xp is by "allowing" that prof to access xp from differents skillsets (farming, mining, etc) , and you don't have specific "xp sets" (meaning an item only craftable by a profession at level X will not generate xp) Shouldn't rails and powered rails be attached to the crafting group?

I've made a list of the items that I think should generate crafting xp. The items featured on this list are generally items that are quite ressource heavy, and thus appear illogical in the fact they don't give xp, but use as much ressources as other objects that do, like a pickaxe:

- Minecarts (5 iron ingots for 1 piece)
- Railroad tracks (6 iron ingots for 16 pieces)
- Powered Rails (6 gold ingots for 4 piece)
- Compass (4 ingots for 1 piece)

This list could go on, these where the one that came to mind, I do not mean for this post to be invasive or aggressive in any way ( I can already feel the people saying" how dare you!111") I just feel that there is a paradox in not getting xp from crafting many of those late-game objects.

Thanks,
Babibab
Gold gives the most experience for crafting because gold tools/armor is the strongest in Herocraft.

Babibab

Legacy Supporter 4
This makes a lot of sense to me as well and I noted much of this while trying to level crafter and now enchanter.i believe though @Babibab that much oft his may be in the works as I have seen enchanters adjusted for their crafts and Xp gains

Let's hope so! Can any staff confirm that this is in the works?

Thanks

Babibab

Legacy Supporter 4
It occured to me that ever since the merger with the mason class, the engineer doesn't get building xp. With the upcoming update to 1.7, i'd recommend adding that to the class. It seems natural, and upon reflexion, it' would also be a way to make the engineer even more of the builder profession it already is in the rpg sense. Besides, building xp isn't that much of a profit, with 2 xp for placing glowstone as it's maximum payload, so you would probably just make engi more attractive for town builders!

Also, if you could consider adding more items to the list of blocks that give xp when crafted, would complexify a bit the player crafting grind, but in a good way, players would find more ways of using their ressources in crafting for grinding xp, and in turn, use tose created blocks to embelish the server ( I might be a little optimistic there :) )

Thanks
Bab