• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Gaming Laptop

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm not really going to play high res games, only like gmod minecraft and rust
Then a 1200 dollar laptop is overdoing it. If you plan to play weaker games you could just invest in a 600 dollar laptop. I'm only generalizing, but if you spend more than 600 dollars on a laptop for that activity, you are getting ripped. Unless you plan to use it for school or work in the near future. Otherwise, just get a desktop.

This thread was a great laugh. Gaming Laptops exist only in title. They over heat fast and they have a fairly short lifespan. Most laptops used for gaming die out after 4-5 years where most desktops can last 10-20 depending on how well you care for it. My laptop began to physically melt on itself because I played League for 4 hours a day. Glued on pieced fell off because the glue reactivated, motherboard eventually gave up and the ram is all warped. Mind you, I was rocking a 300 dollar store bought, but give it time and your laptop will start overheating at the very least.

Laptops are better for school and working on the go. If I had one, I would be using it to write, down at a local coffee shop. I highly suggest you invest in a 600 dollar PC and love it for 6 years without any problems (Unless you bring them on yourself).

Oh and to hop on the topic of Mac books, they are meant for work and work alone. And not just any work, work like film editing and similar. Using that to game is like buying a 3000 dollar Alienware gaming laptop. You are paying over 50% more money for a brandname.

My mac pro over heats so much and i can usually fell the heat through my desk which is is like 1cm thick
ANd i got my mac from school so yeaaah

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
This thread was a great laugh. Gaming Laptops exist only in title. They over heat fast and they have a fairly short lifespan. Most laptops used for gaming die out after 4-5 years where most desktops can last 10-20 depending on how well you care for it. My laptop began to physically melt on itself because I played League for 4 hours a day. Glued on pieced fell off because the glue reactivated, motherboard eventually gave up and the ram is all warped. Mind you, I was rocking a 300 dollar store bought, but give it time and your laptop will start overheating at the very least.

Laptops are better for school and working on the go. If I had one, I would be using it to write, down at a local coffee shop. I highly suggest you invest in a 600 dollar PC and love it for 6 years without any problems (Unless you bring them on yourself).

Oh and to hop on the topic of Mac books, they are meant for work and work alone. And not just any work, work like film editing and similar. Using that to game is like buying a 3000 dollar Alienware gaming laptop. You are paying over 50% more money for a brandname.
If your laptop is melting perhaps its time to clean the heat sink

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
If your laptop is melting perhaps its time to clean the heat sink
I had to clean it fairly often, but that was because the fans were on the bottom and enjoyed eating dust for breakfast. That was a design flaw of the particular laptop, but even with me elevating it and doing all that, it still was hardly any better, though the damage had already begun by that point.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
FOR THE CASUAL GAMER:

Get a computer with additional RAM slots, which is also easy to disassemble and clean (or u pay a shop to clean it every once it a while).

With these two powerful tools in hand, I have managed to run WOW, LoL, and Minecraft, mostly SIMULTANEOUSLY with streams loading/playing for ~3 years per comp (I buy new comps pretty often as a lifestyle/budget choice).
TBH, I never/Rarely run LoL, MC, WOW, AND a movie. I almost always play both LoL and MC while watching a movie or just WOW while watching a video, though.

I have had 3 Dells, all with these options. Any comp that can add more RAM and has the ease to clean out any dust and keep it running COLD. All of these laptops have been super easy to keep in like-new order because I was able to update the capabilities/run speed as was needed.

Ultanian

Portal
I don't care too much about FPS on mine, 50 is good enough for me. I prefer the better hard drive, on this thing I can have like 8 tabs and programs up with minecraft not losing a single frame rate. Good if your planning to record things :)

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't care too much about FPS on mine, 50 is good enough for me. I prefer the better hard drive, on this thing I can have like 8 tabs and programs up with minecraft not losing a single frame rate. Good if your planning to record things :)
Well having 8 tabs and programs up and still being able to run games has nothing to do with your hardrive. It has to do with your ram and partly with your processor.

kenster1092

Legacy Supporter 1
I'm going with @Johnbaur on this one...

Once I move to America by early 2015, I will hand this old HP Pavilion dv6000 to my mother (it's lasted a good 8 years of gaming and abuse from raging and ragequitting when I was younger and still ongoing, lol) and start using my $500 monthly pension investing in building my own desktop PC

TL;DR Don't even bother nagging me about ordering parts from overseas. Chances are, when they arrive in the Philippines, they're either broken or stolen (had a package sent from overseas get stolen in Manila whilst changing delivery vehicles).

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Well having 8 tabs and programs up and still being able to run games has nothing to do with your hardrive. It has to do with your ram and partly with your processor.
Um.. It has a lot to do with your hard drive. Slow hard drives have been the bottle neck of even high end computers for years. Your computer is only as fast as its slowest part and for most computers that part is the hard drive.

An SSD or even a Hybrid drive using the new SATA3 at 6gbs vs the old SATA2 at 3gbs will make a huge difference in boot speed as well as your ability to access multiple segments of information simultaneously. If your mobo has the compatibility