• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

First Herocraft Worlds Fair! (Architectural Contest) 11/22 8:00 AM PST

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Current Contest Roster

Team 1: Altar Ego
* time_warp1 (paid)

Team 2: (Nameless)
* Zachimon (paid)
* Starkillah (paid)
* bbear500 (unpaid)

Team 3: Orion
* xpeterc1 (unpaid)
* RumpTroll (unpaid)
* Trizze (unpaid)
* Alator (unpaid)

Team 4: (Nameless)
* Phantom195 (unpaid)

Team 5: Final!
* xFinalx (unpaid)

Team 6: Hydro
* Hydroking77 (unpaid)

Interest Shown, but no team officially formed:
* Diffuse (unpaid)
* agentjwall (unpaid)
* Phantom195 (unpaid)

We will soon be holding the First Herocraft Worlds Fair! It is to be an exposition of the highest creative and technical talent that all the Worlds of Herocraft have to offer. Come and delight as either a spectator or a competitor in what will be the first competition of its sort.

1304284824-99.jpg

COMPETITION

Contestants will have 2 weeks to construct a structure that fits within a 20x20x20 volume. The entire volume does not need to be used. It should have a purpose, a way to fulfill that purpose, a method of containing that purpose, accesibility for the use of that purpose, a unique approach to accomplishing that purpose, and be visually appealing as well as free from error.

RULES

1. Structures must be legit. No hax, no loaded blocks (such as portal blocks), no invisible blocks, etc. It will be built using materials you have either gathered or bought or have been donated to you by others.
2. Structures will be judged using default texture pack, so I recommend building using that.
3. Each structure will be contained within a 20x20x20 regioned, private volume provided by the admin staff, only the interior 19x19x19 of that volume will be judged, anything exterior to it will not be counted (for good or bad)
4. Every entry must post a sign or multiple signs the border or entry of their footprint that declares:
* The Team Number
* The Name of the Structure
* The Purpose of the structure.
* Number of players on the team.
The declaration signs will not be judged on appearance, but the entry will be disqualified if they fail to provide the above required info.
5. The entry must be completed within 14 calendar-days from the start of the contest.
6. ANY attempt by one team to sabotage the efforts of another team will be seen as cheating and the offending team will, if found guilty, be disqualified. Sabotage attempts include, but are not limited to: throwing eggs, snowballs, spells, grief-crowding, water dumps, lava dumps, attempting to spawn uncontained mobs that can enter your opponents area, blocking entry to their contest area, etc.
7. Attempts will be made to provide a relatively secret environment so that teams can work without fear of having ideas stolen, however, it is also up to each team to remain vigilant and block the entry to your work area as needed.
8. Teams may consist of 1-4 people, and they will be registered in advance of the contest beginning. Once the actual contest begins, at no time may any others be brought in to help, observe, or even provide feedback. No team members may be swapped out, either, though any team member can drop out of the contest at any time. Anyone who drops out of the contest may re-enter up until the moment the contest ends, but will not be granted any additional time to complete their work.

SCORING RUBRIC

Each structure will be judged according to the following rubric, on a scale of 0-10 for each criteria, in increments of 0.5, then doubled to arrive at an overal percentage. The perfect structure would thus be 100%.

FUNCTION: What is/are the purpose(s) of the structure (ex. dungeon, farm, dwelling, rail station, etc)? How complex is the idea? How well is it executed? Is it easy to activate the function? Is it easy to reset the function? Is it self-resetting? Can it withstand standard chaos (ex. player and mob traffic, crowded areas, day/night, etc)?

FORM: Is the overal form of the structure pleasing and appropriate? Does it lend itself well to the function of the structure? How well does the whole of the structure and surroundings work together visually? Is it contained without being constrained? Is there a definite point of entry and egress?

ERGONOMICS: How easy is it to move around? How well has the space been used? Does the absence of material (aka negative space, air blocks, transparency) play as important a role as the existence of material (aka positive space, blocks and items). Is the lighting appropriate to the form and function? How much traffic can it handle? Was the structure made safe (or dangerous) according to the function (ex. balconies having stop-rails, dungeons having traps, etc). If necessary, were instructional signs provided?

CREATIVITY: Have blocks and items been used to provide a non-standard look (ex. using fences to create chandaliers, using trapdoors as flower-pots)? How unique was the approach used to accomplish the function? How unique was the form used to accomodate the function? How unique was the approach to solving ergonomic problems such as space, traffic, and lighting?

DETAIL: How much attention to detail has been given to the overall structure? Were there any interior furnishings, decorations, exterior facades, treatments, or landscaping? If so, how appropriate was it to the formal, functional, and ergonomic needs of the structure? How well do creative embellishments blend into the overal form? Do they seem natural or forced? Is it tasteful or gaudy? Were there any mistakes, gaps, or other problems left in the final product that could have otherwise been avoided?

Scoring ideology,

10: Mastery of that criteria. For example, a farm that harvests an optimum amount of wheat, automatically, with minimal interaction by the player, and is channeled to one easy-to access spot, and resets itself (except for the replanting), and is protected from wandering mobs and players walking on it might get a 10 for Function.

7.5: Noticably exceeded the criteria. For example, a house that wasn't just a box with windows, but rather looked like a real house, with peaks, gables, roof, a yard, a containing fence, etc, might get a 7.5 for Form.

5.0: Met the bare minimum for that criteria. For example, a room with 2m in clearance, providing just enough space to move around in, with a light planted in the middle of the room to prevent mob-spawns, and a 1x2 hole to get in and out of the room, might get a 5.0 for meeting the absolute minimum requirements for Ergonomics.

2.5: Noticably failed to meet the criteria. For example, the same exact room mentioned above, with a torch planted on the floor in the middle of the room, no door, just a hole, ceiling only high enough to be able to pass through, with a painting stuck on the wall, would get a 2.5 for Creativity.

0.0: Completely disregarded criteria altogether or failed spectacularly. For example, a large box-structure made out of dirt and little else would achieve a 0.0 in Detail.

(example: Fun Bobby's House of Death scores a 8.5 in Function, 9.0 in Form, 5.0 in Ergonomics, 7.5 in Creativity, and a 3.5 in detail. His score is 2 * (8.5 + 9.0 + 5.0 + 7.5 + 3.5) = 67%)

POSSIBLE PRIZES

Rather than a defined first, second, and third, prize, let the 1st place winner take his or her pick of possible prizes, then 2nd place can choose from what's left next, then 3rd, etc.

The title of Architect*
The 25,000c Estate Plot
A big shop on Sator Square
A noble plot in Zeal
A massive stock of Coins
A double-chest of any non-rare material (eg. sandstone, stone-brick, fences)
A single-chest of any semi-rare material (eg. clay blocks, obsidian, arrows)
A stack of any rare (non-gold, non-hell) materials (eg, diamonds, iron blocks, mossby cobble, ender-pearls, etc)
16 of any combination of gold, diamond, or chain weapons, tools, and armor.
4 of any ultra-rare blocks (lightstone, pumpkins, mossy stone brick, etc).
Having your structure copied anywhere on the map.

The prizes are for the entire team as a whole, not per member of the team. The title of Architect is contengent on approval by the staff that the structure was actually worthy of such a title. Obviously if there were only 3 entries and the winner was a mud hut because the other two sucked so bad, it wouldn't be awarded. Also, just as with the other prizes, only ONE title of Archiect would be given, and it would be the only prize given to that team. This ensures that whoever chooses it REALLY wants the title more than anything else, and that if it is a team effort by multiple players that they are mature enough to choose one person among them to receive the title. The title would be permanent insofar as it travels from map to map.

Note that these are only POSSIBLE prizes. Kainzo will weigh in on what the actual prizes are, and what the amounts will be.

HOW TO ENTER AS A CONTESTING TEAM

1. Your team may consist of 1-4 people. You must reply to this thread with your team name, the number of people on your team, and the members.

2. There is a fee of 100c per person on the team. This is to help equalize the playing field, and also to help keep the entries down to serious contestants only. Later in this thread you will be directed as to who to render payment to. It will probably be an Admin or myself.

3. You should check this thread as often as possible for updates on the contest. You will be responsible for knowing the rules and keeping abreast of developments.

4. All contestants must be registered and paid for by Sunday, November 20th, at 9pm Central Standard Time. At that point the teams will each be assigned a number, and we will apportion regions to the team members at their designated spots. After all regions have been set, we will post the official start of the contest. At that point you will have 2 weeks from the start to complete your structures.

TIPS

1. Remember that your structure is being contained WITHIN a 20x20x20 volume. This means the maximum dimensions of your actual structure will be 19x19x19. If you plan your structures ahead of time, be certain to remember this or it will throw your blueprint off.

2. Expensive materials are not the same as good materials. A house made of diamonds and gold that looks tacky will be judged much more poorly than a fine-looking house of sandstone and wool.

3. If you don't use default texture pack, switch to it now. It will be judged in default texture pack, so it's best to get a solid idea of what colors and materials look like together as how well they merge.

4. You don't HAVE to use all of the 19x19x19 volume assigned to you. The Tempietto of San Pietro in Montorio is widely considered by architects to be one of the most perfect buildings ever made, and its interior is only 15 feet across.

5. Think outside the box. It doesn't have to just be a temple or a house. You could just as well make a complex redstone device that does something impressive, a clock, a calculator, a music box, an amusement ride, a thing that breeds mobs and kills them in amusing ways, a sculpture, a ship... but remember, what it will ultimately be judged on is how well it fulfills the five rubrics.

xFinaLx

Legacy Supporter 7
Awesome! Looking forward to this...

One question:

So if we wanted to utilize, say, pistons and we weren't an engineer, we would have to have an engineer on our team otherwise the person would not be allowed to help?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Awesome! Looking forward to this...

One question:

So if we wanted to utilize, say, pistons and we weren't an engineer, we would have to have an engineer on our team otherwise the person would not be allowed to help?
Correct - you would need an engineer on your team in order to use pistons.

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
what is the time frame for this I have a lot on my real life plate this month?

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Answers:

1. Pistons, yes you would not only need an Engineer, they would ALSO need to be a Level 50 Engineer (as you have to be 50 to place pistons).

2. Airbus, I know the OP was TL;DR, but it pretty clearly laid out the timeframe. 1 week to register, followed by 2 weeks to complete your entry.

3. You can pay entry fees to me or any admin (ie. Kainzo, Apherdite, etc.) but you need to post in here who you paid it to, and at what time and date and make sure they know when you pay them what you're giving them money for. I don't want any instances of entry fees being unaccounted for, since I plan on spending the whole thing on hookers and blow using it to help mankind!

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
Great idea! I have too much else HC-wise on my plate, so I'll just be observing this one. Good luck to all the contestants!

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
Ok I understood the 1 week to register and 2 weeks to complete in the rules. but I didn't see a official start and end date I didn't know if your original post started the clock on registrations. thus the official start on the entire clock.

I might enter to get that Architect title I want 2 of them!

time_warp01

Legacy Supporter 6
I plan on incorporating some redstone circuitry in mine. Can we dig down a block or two and and subtract that from the height above the ground? Like have a structure 17 blocks tall that goes 2 underground?

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
1. We don't have an official start date for the contest yet, only that it will begin shortly after registration. More than likely it will begin next Sunday Night, but I can't guarentee that.

2. The containing cube-room will leave 19x19 space to work with inside of it. I apologize for the confusion.

3. If you need sub-levels to do redstone circuitry, incorporate this into your 19x19x19 design, and build a new floor accordingly. Thus if your first buildable level in your cube is at elevation 70, and you need two levels of sub-floor for redstone circuits, then you need to build a floor at 72 or 73, and at some point, designate an entry point.

4. So far I've only seen one team declared, and none paid. If y'all are interested, I need an official declaration of your team and all your team members. If your team wants to participate, you need to make payment to myself, Kainzo, Apherdite, or anyone they designate.

xpeterc1

Legacy Supporter 7
So the building is all ingame?
-Cuz I want to build some redstone thing and 20x20x20 is perfectly fine for a small and fun redstone project.
-I want to see your redstone people!