• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Dynamic Economy

Yesterday Kainzo was talking about how he wanted the economy to change, and I thought implementing something like this would be cool. The DHX could be changed into a Dynamic shop, that maybe merchants would exclusively use, which would create fluctuating prices throughout Herocraft based on supply and demand. I think it would be interesting, and more fun.

I don't know if it's possible, but it'd be cool nonetheless.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
The problem with this is that people don't exactly follow Fair Trade regulations. I would imagine monopolies and price inflation would be rampant. If it where to be added, I would totally cheat the system.

I could see that loan system to be very useful though.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I guess that is true, however it would make the server more player driven, and I was thinking it could be like EVE Online, with it's completely player-run economy.
Selling 1 dirt for 500c.
Buying 64 dirt for .000000001c.
That'd be the economy.
UNLESS: This was implemented at a map reset, then the current economy giants wouldn't be giants and the economy would have to work itself out for anyone to make money

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
I could see that loan system to be very useful though.
During the planning staged of Braavos, I was going to make a player run bank with a loan system. It never got running due to the fact that loans are not enforced by staff, therefore I would get scammed out of a lot of moolah.

I had discussed something similar about the economy with Kainzo some time ago. My suggestion was based around the idea of the DHX being a stock exchange.

The unfortunate thing about a player run economy is that anyone can get anything. One of the few ways I make money is by simply not buying anything. It is difficult to maintain a player run shop as well because everyone undercuts EVERYONE, and in order to stay in competition, you have to spend 50c to remake a shop, which sometimes nulls all profits. A stable economy cannot be achieved when item prices do not fluctuate and players constantly drive prices down (exception for Gold Ore).
I also firmly believe in taxing sales.

Long ago I knew of a plugin that would fluctuate prices based on the stock in the chest (I have not looked into your link yet, but it looks similar).

All in all, I have always believed a free market in Minecraft does not work, and that Herocraft needs to stop focusing on PvP, and fix the economy.

Long ago I knew of a plugin that would fluctuate prices based on the stock in the chest (I have not looked into your link yet, but it looks similar).

All in all, I have always believed a free market in Minecraft does not work, and that Herocraft needs to stop focusing on PvP, and fix the economy.
That plugin had chestshops planned, but he never got around to doing it.(Nor will he, since he must have abandoned development.)
However, this plugin is very similar, along with a sales tax, and chestshop compatibility.
I'll play around with this one later.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
My main dislike of this plugin at present is that you can buy from any location in the work removing the need for trading locations. This will also removed the need for players to leave the safety of their towns. However I would be more inclined to agree with the implementation of this plugin if any kind of chest shop integration or some other form of structure to force players to move to a few set locations.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
My main dislike of this plugin at present is that you can buy from any location in the work removing the need for trading locations. This will also removed the need for players to leave the safety of their towns. However I would be more inclined to agree with the implementation of this plugin if any kind of chest shop integration or some other form of structure to force players to move to a few set locations.
(Note: The following is not something I'd suggest doing, just that it exists)
You could use regions with a command based economy to allow use of economy commands only in designated areas, though that's more restricting than current chestshops.

Zephael_

Legacy Supporter 3

The features of the plug-in lists:
  • Extensive region control! Select your own 3D regions in which users can buy and sell items!
As I understand it, that would allow you to set regions in which players have to be in order to buy and sell. I agree with 0xNaomi though that this is more restrictive than the current chestshop system, and it will also eliminate pricing for convenience (ex. redstone prices) since the prices will be global.

HyperConomy, the plugin I linked in my response to Jonsoon, supports chestshops.