• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Ditch item upgrade requirements - reintroduce building requirements

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
I miss the old days of Zeal where there were required buildings for townships. While I do like the item requirement for townships and upgrades, I feel like they could be managed in a better way. Instead of just throwing the items away, for every township level, there should be two or three required buildings. This will help to provide citizens with needed services, and hopefully will make towns be a little more creative with their planning.

These buildings could be related to classes, or just to government uses. To create each building, items will be needed.
In the days of Zeal, these buildings were checked out by Admins, and/or Mods to ensure they met the requirements. Doing this again would move backwards with the effort to automate everything.

To make this automated, items should still be placed in the town back, then use a command such as:
/town build library
The items would then be removed from the town bank, then the building will automatically begin construction and finish over a course of time. Once the building is complete, it will notify HeroTowns that a new upgrade requirement is finished.

The area of construction should be relatively small, no bigger than 10x10x10, so it can be built over and there can be a sense of customization with it still. They could also be upgraded for every township upgrade.

Ideas for buildings:
The required items were thought of very quickly from looking at the current item requirements on the wiki, and is a very rough idea how they should pan out.

Granary - Hamlet
10,000 Cobblestone
1,000 Oak Log
500 Coal
2,500 Wheat
50 Cookie
250 Steak
250 Pumpkin
15 Diamond Block

Town Hall - Town
250 Bookshelf
20,000 Cobblestone
10,000 Stone
500 Clay Brick
4,000 Oak Log
500 Glowstone
150 Obsidian
250 Steak
250 Pork
100 Diamond Block
50 Emerald Block
Barracks - Town
10,000 Cobblestone
1,000 Oak Log
500 Clay Brick
200 Obsidian
100 Moss Stone
100 Mossy Stone Brick
200 TNT
100 Diamond Block
500 Cooked Fish
500 Cooked Porkchop

Library - City
25,000 Cobblestone
1,000 Stone
1,500 Clay Brick
15,000 Oak Logs
1,000 Bookshelf
500 Glowstone
640 Torches
4,000 White Wool
500 Lapis Block
50 Diamond Block
50 Emerald Block

Blacksmith - City
75,000 Cobblestone
3,000 Stone
10,000 Gravel
5,000 Oak Log
128 Lava Bucket
2,500 Coal
100 Moss Stone
100 Moss Stone Brick
1,000 Iron Block
100 Diamond Block
100 Emerald Block

Bank - City
100,000 Cobblestone
4,000 Stone
5,000 Oak Log
1,500 Glowstone
25 Endstone
1,500 Iron Block
350 Diamond Block
350 Emerald Block
64 Gold Block

This is just a very rough suggestion

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter

Right from an automated perspective this isn't possible. Purely because what's to stop someone from building a cobble box and claiming it to be a "Bank" within the plugin. It's far too vague to be of any use as a requirement without requiring staff to come take a look and accept the structure before hand.

Now don't get me wrong I like the idea behind this suggestion but I do not see it being possible.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Maybe down the road we will get a Town Mod who's responsibility is to monitor towns for activity and to ensure they have certain buildings / items for their size. Like a Capital should have a small park - maybe only 1 chunk in size, but still a park for its people. Would make designing a town a bit more tricky but add fun. Perhaps we can even run a contest every couple months of the best looking town - to inspire people to build nice buildings and not cobblestone boxes.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Right from an automated perspective this isn't possible. Purely because what's to stop someone from building a cobble box and claiming it to be a "Bank" within the plugin. It's far too vague to be of any use as a requirement without requiring staff to come take a look and accept the structure before hand.

Now don't get me wrong I like the idea behind this suggestion but I do not see it being possible.

Perhaps have it so it sees what blocks are used... so in the 10x10x10 box it wants at least 'x' air, 'x' wood/panks 'x' (cobble)stone and so on? Just my train of thought...

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff

I think he was suggesting the plugin build the structures itself.

Drastikos

Legacy Supporter 3
I like the idea! I just don't see how the automated building could be coded.
The only way I see to do this still requires a mod to check the buildings.

The "required materials" could be used in the construction of the buildings. Have players build the buildings themselves, ensuring the minimum of each of the "required materials" is integrated.

It's not automated building, but it provides the benefit of giving citizens something to do, a goal/task to strive for, something they can be proud of in the end and see with those mats instead of having them thrown away to pay taxes.
It also creates opportunity for more conflict as people will raid towns to kill people building these structures, and possibly get some of those "required materials".

Again, a mod would still need to check these buildings. :(
All that's really needed is a quick world edit (or equiv) to get a count of the "required materials", and to ensure the building falls into whatever guidelines are set - so the building looks like a building and not a pile of blocks.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I think he was suggesting the plugin build the structures itself.
If the plugin were to build the structures itself what is the point in adding it in the first place as a requirement. All it would do is add a pointless structure to a town that probably doesn't fit in with the aesthetic.
I like the idea! I just don't see how the automated building could be coded.

It's not too horrific as long as you hook into world edit and use schematics.
Perhaps have it so it sees what blocks are used... so in the 10x10x10 box it wants at least 'x' air, 'x' wood/panks 'x' (cobble)stone and so on? Just my train of thought...

Again how does that solve the issue you can just build a box in the area containing the required items amd having enough air around them to fulfill the requirement. Personally I think this idea is either too vague it can't be coded in a useful manor or too restrictive architecturally.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
If the plugin were to build the structures itself what is the point in adding it in the first place as a requirement. All it would do is add a pointless structure to a town that probably doesn't fit in with the aesthetic.

The building of it should be automatic to ensure the proper materials are used and so that it is functional on the inside. My suggestion was to keep it relatively small so that you can build something over top of it. Think of it as just the inside of a room and you build the frame

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
The building of it should be automatic to ensure the proper materials are used and so that it is functional on the inside. My suggestion was to keep it relatively small so that you can build something over top of it. Think of it as just the inside of a room and you build the frame

Maybe but even with that method it still requires next to no work from the town itself to construct said room so as a requirement it is pretty pointless when compared to the rest of the requirements.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Maybe but even with that method it still requires next to no work from the town itself to construct said room so as a requirement it is pretty pointless when compared to the rest of the requirements.
No offense, but the current requirements are pretty pointless. It is an endless grind for materials. At least this way there would be some point behind it.

Okay so maybe have the item requirements, but you can build the structure whatever way you want.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
This is a very well thought out post and I support it in its entirety. Towns aren't "towns" without public buildings in the real world.

Kyren_

Stone
Great idea! I wouldn't go for any modded implementation, though, that's simply not worth the trouble. We've got a town limit of 40 towns currently, having someone trustworthy (guides, proctors, mods?) check them officially once they announce that they've got the required buildings to advance and confirm their status? Half of the towns surely will have suitable buildings already (or not plan to advance further), for the others it'll take a while as well to build everything, so there wouldn't be a rush on it.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
If only it could be automated :p

I really like this idea and miss the days when towns had required buildings. So many towns these days are just single buildings with vast undercities. Sure you can build your required buildings underground, but I'd like to see it used against towns that are a single building, forcing them to build on the surface like an actual town.