• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Custom Gaming PC Build

askmax

Legacy Supporter 4
Hey guys so I was just wondering if anyone has any advice to improve this build. I am not looking for the best cpus etc for another 300 dollars just alternatives that might perform better etc. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3br77

Last edited:

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
Well is this your first build? cause if it is you can definitely get it better and cheaper, but if its not your first build then idk wtf you're trying to do xD

askmax

Legacy Supporter 4
Well is this your first build? cause if it is you can definitely get it better and cheaper, but if its not your first build then idk wtf you're trying to do xD
Yeah it is :) xD only thing I won't be changing is the GPU im getting a evga 780 ti 3gb superclocked w/ acx cooler

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
Yeah it is :) xD only thing I won't be changing is the GPU im getting a evga 780 ti 3gb superclocked w/ acx cooler
Ok, well that seems like over kill for gaming, are you video editing or something else?

and an i7? you must be doing something than just gaming.

also you plan on OC'ing the cpu?

Last edited:

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
Holly cow... that thing has like 4x more ram than my computer, and I NEVER lag While running Minecraft and hosting a Hexit Server... , only network lag. So... overkill... ( I even freaking Bought mine for 500$ in a store XD )

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
Holly cow... that thing has like 4x more ram than my computer, and I NEVER lag While running Minecraft and hosting a Hexit Server... , only network lag. So... overkill... ( I even freaking Bought mine for 500$ in a store XD )
Definitely overkill for minecraft, or gaming alone.

My desktop build is just about done (got it down to about $1100 without cutting performance) unless any new parts come out in the next few months im fine.

Ellron23

Legacy Supporter 3
You dont need an i7 unless you are doing serious rendering (Blender, AE, etc)
Graphics card is overkill for pretty much anything.

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
That thing is just as powerfull as some serious rendering equipment T_T Minecraft couldnt even use 1/4th of its max cababilites if you modded the thing to death and did fancy renderingx100 XD

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
The build im getting is only $1100 and still plenty overkill for what ill be doing xD

and it could be $900 if i didn't go with a fancy case i liked + some other brand names.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Holy shit that graphics card. Are you also going to use it to cook eggs for breakfast?

I spent $400 on a Raedon R9 290 and it runs everything on max settings, and in a year or two when it starts feeling old I'll just buy a second one for cheaper and SLI them together. You should consider the same.

Like everyone above me said: You don't need an i7 unless you are doing more than just games, like virtualisation, rendering, etc.

Also, some may disagree but I would recommend buying Windows 8.1 Professional instead of Windows 7 SP1. There's very little reason to put Windows 7 on a new build, just like there is very little reason to upgrade an existing Windows 7 build to 8. Don't think just because Windows XP took forever to end support that 7 will last that long. 8.1 allows you to do away with all that start menu crap people always complain about - by allowing you to change your settings so log in to/return to your desktop instead of your start menu in cases where you would be sent there. With it set this way, you only EVER see that start menu when you go there on purpose. Everything else is the same as 7, if not better.

While I don't predict 7 will get support for too much longer, 8 probably will. This is because the next version of Windows will most likely be cloud/subscription based I'm guessing form the new CEO they hired. I don't think Windows will be a very viable platform for video games at that point, which is why Valve is pushing for Linux support now instead of later so they can be ahead of the curve. You might as well use 8.

Benji0904

Legacy Supporter 3
Hey guys so I was just wondering if anyone has any advice to improve this build. I am not looking for the best cpus etc for another 300 dollars just alternatives that might perform better etc. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3br77
Paying way to much for windows its a custom gaming computer you dont need spend 134$ on the OS. BUY A SOLID STATE DRIVE, you wont regret it.

Benji0904

Legacy Supporter 3
Holy shit that graphics card. Are you also going to use it to cook eggs for breakfast?

I spent $400 on a Raedon R9 290 and it runs everything on max settings, and in a year or two when it starts feeling old I'll just buy a second one for cheaper and SLI them together. You should consider the same.

SLI= Nvidia cards.[/
No, Single cards are better. cheaper and more efficient. A lot of games don't utilize the full capability of SLI/Crossfire

Crossfire=Radeon cards
quote]

Benji0904

Legacy Supporter 3
Totally messed that post up

No, Single cards are better. cheaper and more efficient. A lot of games don't utilize the full capability of SLI/Crossfire

Crossfire=Radeon cards

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
Here's my build i plan to buy in 3-4 months, if nothing new comes out im going with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3bIjX

Edit: One thing im not sure about is my 240gb ssd, its more than my laptop had and i never even used half of its space. I only download like 10 games... max, and i don't download anything else other than a few pics/few programs.

Last edited:

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Totally messed that post up

Crossfire=Radeon cards
I didn't tell him to get two cards, I myself have a single card. I was just saying you don't need a $700 card. Just get a $400 one and SLI/Crossfire them together later when you need a second one. Support for these things improves daily, by the time I need a second card the entire playing field will change.

Also:

Paying way to much for windows its a custom gaming computer you dont need spend 134$ on the OS. BUY A SOLID STATE DRIVE, you wont regret it.

100% right. Take that money you'd save by swapping that i7 for an i5 + a cheaper high end card to get a solid state JUST for your OS, and consider a second solid state drive JUST for your favorite video games. Get a high capacity hard disk drive for data storage/general use.

Benji0904

Legacy Supporter 3
I

100% right. Take that money you'd save by swapping that i7 for an i5 + a cheaper high end card to get a solid state JUST for your OS, and consider a second solid state drive JUST for your favorite video games. Get a high capacity hard disk drive for data storage/general use.
Just get one High capacity SSD

askmax

Legacy Supporter 4
No guys for one I dont want SLI and I already have the i7 I do plan on rendering etc and im not talking about just minecraft here but yeah theres a i7 in my current build so im not actually buying it.

Benji0904

Legacy Supporter 3
No guys for one I dont want SLI and I already have the i7 I do plan on rendering etc and im not talking about just minecraft here but yeah theres a i7 in my current build so im not actually buying it.
SSD or lower priced OS?