• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Bump Mapping mod is here!

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
Has anyone else been following daxnitro's mods?

Check it out, he's got parallax occlusion working.

It's a little tricky getting to it work, you need a texture pack with files specifically for the bump mapping. I'm going to throw together a modified .jar with this mod, zan's, chat and mrmmods AO lighting/grass. I'll upload it and post a link when I have time to fiddle with it.

Someone named Misa is working on a really promising tex pack for this mod, its almost done apparently. Check the screenies:
sz4mH.jpg

lylC4.jpg

VB8SV.jpg

dLzik.jpg

Okay folks, here we go. This mod is not easy to get working unless you're willing to do a lot of feckin around and editing files. The mod only works with Aza's, John Smith, and another tex pack that is pretty shitty.

This is a rar with all the mods I'm using in my .jar. It has Aza's Arid pack w/ bump mapping and depth of field, Zan's minimap, chat mod, UI resize, AO & better grass. The bump mapping with Aza's pack is fairly subtle, playing with AA/AF turned on really helps. You can turn on AA/AF by using your GPU control software (I'm using Nvidia Control Panel) to override javaw.exe, at least on Win7 64-bit. Other OSes might require a different solution.

1) Install aza's arid tex pack using mcpatcher-1.1.11
2) Install bump mapping with INSTALLER.exe
3) Install zan's (install.bat) and better lighting/grass (mcpatcher)
4) Last, move everything from that dump folder into your minecraft.jar.

I tested it and it works, let me know if you have problems.

Bump Map pack

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Yep, noticed it yesterday: http://herocraftonline.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=558&pid=4103#pid4103

I will give up on Aza's and my compilation as soon as Misa is releasing this. Not that I'm a big fan of his items because they kill the minecrafty atmosphere for me (real life photos resized to 64x64) but those can be replaced. Easily. However, this GLSL is just sick.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
Ilsyde said:
Yep, noticed it yesterday: http://herocraftonline.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=558&pid=4103#pid4103

It says I don't have permission to access that page when I click the link. Same thing with other links you've posted, like in the HC mod thread.

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Capn_Danger said:
It says I don't have permission to access that page when I click the link. Same thing with other links you've posted, like in the HC mod thread.

Then you're missing out on a LOT. Anyone experiencing the same issue, please read this http://herocraftonline.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=559 and apply for membership!

Capn, I'll add you myself so you have access to the other half of the forum.

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
You do know that sharing Minecraft files is copyright infringement, right?

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
Ilsyde said:
You do know that sharing Minecraft files is copyright infringement, right?

Didn't know that. Well, hmmm... maybe I'll make a batch file that does the work, or something.

pyrokinetic

Legacy Supporter 4
:( it gets to 'simulating world for a bit, freezes, my screen goes black and I'm told that my AMD driver crashed and restarted (from a balloon in my taskbar), minecraft sits there on a white screen frozen.

Any ideas? Using Win7 x64

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Look around on the official forum. There are major problems with most ATi cards.

Aesi

Legacy Supporter 3
Someone better post when Misa's new texture pack is up! :p

pyrokinetic

Legacy Supporter 4
Ilsyde said:
Look around on the official forum. There are major problems with most ATi cards.

Yeah I posted on there earlier and someone else had the same problem too, haven't gotten a response yet though :<

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm running a phenom II x4, nvidia GTX 460, 4gb ram on Win7 64bit.

Works perfectly for me, but seeing as how this is all very experimental at this point I'm not surprised that it doesnt work for some hardware setups.

Like I said, the bump mapping for aza's arid pack is not a very pronounced effect; I find it makes the texture of the blocks pop out and look more life-like, but it isn't as jaw-dropping as it could be. If it doesn't work you're probably not missing out on as big a thing as you might think.

I expect Misa's texture pack WILL be draw-dropping, however, so stay tuned for that.

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Capn_Danger said:
Didn't know that. Well, hmmm... maybe I'll make a batch file that does the work, or something.

Long-ass answer. I might make this a sticky or rule somewhere in the future:

If you only want to share modded files then I'm absolutely fine with that. Bear in mind though, modders take pride in their work and usually don't allow their creations to be available anywhere else but the main site/forum they can follow. That's the reason I moved UMP from the Public category and into the Members only area.
This way, only Herocraft users have access to it. You might get some angry letters if you post your pack here where it's available to everyone.

Ever wondered why modders never release their modified minecraft.jar files or why no one else is allowed to? Sharing original Minecraft files is copyright infringement. I know it looks harmless as most MC files (like the minecraft.jar) are really easy to access and share due to their size but that action is still on par with uploading and sharing e.g. the second disk of Dead Space 2 on this forum. Which would equal piracy - although it's not EA who would be after your balls.

On top of that, Notch frowns upon anyone who decides to share modded MC files (.class files, for example). That's the reason why installers keep popping up that inject the code into the existing, original files instead of simply replacing them with their modded counterpart. MrMMods and GLSL (the one this topic is about) are two examples.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Oh dear god the lag. I went into single player to test it and the screen was all blurred and then stuff un rendered or something, when I moved everything turned blue until I stood still.

Looks amazing though, can't wait till I build my new computer and can run stuff like that with ease.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
wolfgang784 said:
Oh dear god the lag.
Looks amazing though, can't wait till I build my new computer and can run stuff like that with ease.

We are doing things to Java that god nor man have ever intended.

I've got a pretty damn good rig, on most games I crank the settings to ultra high on 1920x1080. I tried using an SSAO + Bloom shader and that made even my compy groan in pain.

Apherdite

Queen Bee
I can't get this thing to work. I'm not sure if it's the incompatibility with my graphics... HD5850, or what? Everytime I load up, it gets past the mojang screen and then just goes black and stops working. I even tried JUST putting the Aza's pack in my texture packs folder in .minecraft, and that causes MC to crash flat out... any relation?

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
ATi lol :icon_mrgreen:

GLSL has an installer, that should automatically take of everything for you. However, try applying it to a clean minecraft.jar if you're having problems.

As for Aza's - and every other texture pack that's larger than the default 16x16 - you need an application called mcpatcher. You can't just drag&drop the texture files because they aren't supported by default.
You can read the general installation instructions here http://herocraftonline.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=558 (bottom of my first post) and download the pack while you're at it.

Oh and black screen is usually caused by leaving the META-INF/MOJANG_C.SF file intact inside of minecraft.jar. But don't worry about this, both mcpatcher and GLSL have their own built-in workarounds. And so does UMP if you ever want to installing that.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
Ilsyde said:
GLSL has an installer, that should automatically take of everything for you. However, try applying it to a clean minecraft.jar if you're having problems.

As for Aza's - and every other texture pack that's larger than the default 16x16 - you need an application called mcpatcher. You can't just drag&drop the texture files because they aren't supported by default.

The reason I packed it all up is because the GLSL mod doesn't just work without some tweaks, and the mod is not at a very user-friendly stage right now. If you started with a clean .jar and followed the directions using the files I provided it should work, barring hardware compatibility issues. There were a lot of people on the forum with ATI hardware experiencing serious problems, nothing they did could get it working properly.

If you want to use a texture pack other than Asa's, here's what you'll need to do. If you don't have a terrain_s.png file (I couldn't find one) for the specular map, you have to comment out the specular shader line in the base.fsh file. You also need to pick the right line for "vec3 interval", depending on the size of the texture pack you're using, and then you need to dump the alternate shader files into contents/files/shaders/. The bump mapping files aren't included with the texture packs or the mod itself, you have to download them from the wiki, rename them to terrain_nh.png, and manually drop them in the jar after you've done everything else.

Or you could just come back in a month when the mod has had more time in the oven. I spent a couple hours on daxnitro's wiki and the forum thread before I got it working.

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Capn_Danger said:
The reason I packed it all up is because the GLSL mod doesn't just work without some tweaks (...)
Oh, I didn't notice that link until now... or that Aph was talking about your installer. Thought she meant the official installer from MC.net :icon_razz:

@Raetac you and me both. I'm already using Misa's to get used to it. Though I had to tweak it just a bit (brightened it all up, removed clouds and vignetting). But other than that, can't wait.