• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Bring back custom attributes!

Should we be able to change our attributes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rhombu

Wood
BRING BACK CUSTOM ATTRIBUTES!

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, or if it has already been deemed an unbalanced or inferior system. Anyways..

With the release of the new map, custom attributes were removed. I think the reasoning was that they weren't noob friendly. In my opinion, one could have easily referred to the wiki or an attributes guide if they really needed help using their attribute points. So it (maybe) wasn't a huge issue.

With the removal of attributes, I feel like there is a lack of variety or creativity with some classes. For instance, if you wanted to be more of a support bard, you could change your attributes to do that. If you wanted to be a damage bard, you could also do that. You could even try some crazy things like full damage paladin or tank wizard (even though these kind of things were mostly for fun and laughs).

Some classes have attribute points in certain stats that they don't really need. For example, I don't really need strength on my beguiler, but I have it. This also applies for other classes that much rather be tankier/faster/whatever, but cannot change their attributes to be so.

I don't like being limited to a specific set of attributes. If I want to play a glass cannon beguiler and run 45+ intelligence, then I say I should be able to. It's very silly (and pretty dumb), but at least I'm having fun while doing so. Don't limit creativity or variety.

Some potential options:
  • Give people the attributes like they are now, but allow for them to be reset for customization.
  • Just make them like they were before, but give easy access to a guide/the wiki.
  • Other stuff. If you want to add, please contribute.

TL;DR: Don't limit creativity, I want to do (more) nuclear damage as beguiler and have fun.

P.S, I don't know how to incorporate this with the new T2 classes. Just give them like 5 more attribute points or something like that. I dunno.
Reminder: please keep the conversation civil and well mannered. If this is a stupid/terrible/idiotic/etc. suggestion, please explain why. Please always explain yourself.

EDIT: Some people are concerned that people who play classes like ninja will stack strength to make a skill OP. My opinion is that the scaling should be reduced on the skill, but raise the base damage. This will prevent extreme scaling on certain skills, and discourage stacking a certain stat. (Stacking certain skills would, however, make a certain class more lacking in an other area. If, for example, you stacked intelligence on beguiler, you would have god-like damage, but would incredibly squishy and immobile, while also having the skill piggify's (which scales off charisma) duration decreased.)

Last edited:

Ice_Burner

Legacy Supporter 1
So you're essentially saying bring back the meta of paladin and disciples and overpowered ninjas right? k.

Rhombu

Wood
So you're essentially saying bring back the meta of paladin and disciples and overpowered ninjas right? k.

Could you elaborate? I didn't pvp much last map, but when I did, I never had a problem with these classes. Of course it was mostly just 1v1s in the arena place or whatever. But after playing on the server more and gaining more experience, I can definitely see the potential of custom attributes.
Also I'm sure something could be done to balance these classes. I don't think reworking/changing the entire attribute system is the best way to balance a few overpowered classes. (I could be wrong though).

Ice_Burner

Legacy Supporter 1
Thing is, people had the uncanny ability to do wonders with math and what-not and come up with over powered builds for certain classes, AKA paladin disciple, etc etc... It was just harder to balance classes that way. This way, its easier to balance and pvp comes down to pure skill instead of who has the better attribute build. @Rhombu

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
@Ice_Burner is mostly right on this one. Customizable attributes were a bitch to balance because even if you nerfed a certain part of the class you could focus on something else. It was hard to balance when everyone was using something different; each build had different strengths to it. If you are looking for more customizability you hopefully shouldn't have to wait to long. The new enchanting system will allow you to add stats to armor/weapons.

And even if you were able to customize your build it probably wouldn't vary much from what was considered to be the most efficient; if it was you were naturally at a disadvantage. Unless the difference was big this barely affected PvP. The people that blamed the difference in attribute build for their loss are dumb (@xMJay its your attribute build mang)

_DELETED_10000

Legacy Supporter 3
I've never been a fan of stacking stats.

Right now, it seems that classes are being balanced around their /skills and armor values. Stats are pretty irrelevant. They grow with level, and it is what it is. We're all the same within our classes. It allows damage and defense to be focused solely around skills and armor values, which allow for balancing a more controlled environment.

The most I'd suggest is 1 point a level (or interval) you could place into a stat of your choice, or something similar. Just the slightest bit to provide a surprise to your attacker when you hit harder than he expects, or don't melt instantly under his blade, etc.

T2/3 sounds like a good place for it, especially since last I heard, you don't match lvl 60 T1 until 54~ish T2? It's all a grind for 1 skill atm, might give it some substance...

Then again, the enchanting system mentioned could replace all that attribute mathy jazz while giving players customizability, and still keep numbers predictable enough to not have to balance too much around them...

xMJay

Portal
@Ice_Burner is mostly right on this one. Customizable attributes were a bitch to balance because even if you nerfed a certain part of the class you could focus on something else. It was hard to balance when everyone was using something different; each build had different strengths to it. If you are looking for more customizability you hopefully shouldn't have to wait to long. The new enchanting system will allow you to add stats to armor/weapons.

And even if you were able to customize your build it probably wouldn't vary much from what was considered to be the most efficient; if it was you were naturally at a disadvantage. Unless the difference was big this barely affected PvP. The people that blamed the difference in attribute build for their loss are dumb (@xMJay its your attribute build mang)
lol ya my attributes were the reason i won by 1000 hp

Rhombu

Wood
Alright, thanks for the information. I guess I never understood why they were removed. I understand that they can hard to balance and that the system could be easily exploited.