• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Biome Environment Effects

bearcat99

Sir GrowlMeow
Legacy Supporter 2
I have no idea if this is able to be coded, but I thought of it and it seems kinda cool.

My idea:
Make Snow and Desert biomes hurt you. (only on surface and above)

Why:
More hardcore. Additionally, it can give towns based in these biomes an advantage to be protected from raiders.

In detail:
Tundra/Snow - You are technically freezing. You lose a couple of hearts every few minutes. However, the more armor you have on, the reduced amount of damage you take. You can fully stop the damage if you are a certain distance from a light source.

Desert - You are getting dehydrated in the burning heat. You lose a couple of hearts every few minutes. You take less damage with the least amount of armor you have on. If you have no armor, you take the least amount of damage. To stop all damage, you have to be in shade (under a roof or something). Also, maybe to stop damage for ~10min, you have to drink a bucket of milk.

My explaining:
Towns within these biomes will experience a little difficulty to survive, but also an advantage because raiders will need to become fully prepared to survive the environment. This will overall make Herocraft more hardcore.

Please give ideas/comments/opinions. No bullshit or I will delete your posts. Once again, I have no idea if this can be coded, or if it will be a bitch to code. I am already expecting Kainzo to say this can't be done.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
I like this, but I think it should be turned off in towns. It keeps the inside safe. If you had to go out to do something you could still take damage.

c12095

Holy Shit!
I like this, but I think it should be turned off in towns. It keeps the inside safe. If you had to go out to do something you could still take damage.

I disagree, what sense would it be to step inside a region and the freezing cold/blistering heat instantly vanishes? That would ruin this idea, I think that the towns that live here and receive the defensive bonus should model their town to fit with the environment. Overall I love this idea, makes people think where they will travel and what they need to do insidetue environment.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
I think milk would work, because currently, the only two uses for milk are cake, and taking off poison. (Not sure if that is enabled in HC or not.)

Northac

Obsidian
Interesting idea (the cold one would affect me as thats where I have a base at lol) As for the desert, shouldnt getting in water help you too? hell it stops zombies and skeletons from burning it should do the same for us as well.
I think this would be an interesting hardcore addition

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
I disagree, what sense would it be to step inside a region and the freezing cold/blistering heat instantly vanishes? That would ruin this idea, I think that the towns that live here and receive the defensive bonus should model their town to fit with the environment. Overall I love this idea, makes people think where they will travel and what they need to do insidetue environment.

Makes sense, I just it just might discurage desert towns or snow biome towns.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
It could be done, but it might be a performance nightmare.

I have never worked with chunks or biomes so there may be a faster way to do this, but you may have to cycle through every online player, check if they're in a biome, calculate an armor value, and apply a damage based on the armor value.

If you're applying this effect every 5 seconds, and you have a DoD in a desert biome, then the server may lag badly every 5 seconds.

Edit2: You could probably split up the number of players that the effect is applied to over several "tasks". Check 20 players, wait a few ticks, check the next 20 players, wait a few ticks, until you run out of players, then schedule the process again (possibly based of the time it took to check all players). This should reduce load when a lot of players are online, but at the cost of the effect being guaranteed to happen every 'x' ticks (which isn't really a problem).

Edit: note I'm not volunteering to code it, just giving ideas

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
In this sense then you should get a toxic debuff in swamps and suffocate in extreme hills.

Edit: rather, suffocate once above a certain elevation which would be accessible in extreme hills.

Kwong050

Holy Shit!
I think that armor should not effect the dmg done because Casters would have a major disadvantage vs a pally

bearcat99

Sir GrowlMeow
Legacy Supporter 2
For a beginning code, the armor would not have to be added yet. This would make things easier.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
What happens to towns, such as those in a dessert, who wish to have open surface cities? The same goes for towns in snow biomes, will they still get hurt?

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Mother Nature can be a bitch.

Yeah but it sucks for the towns that wanted to make awesome buildings in set biomes. Take Paragon for example, we want to make an awesome looking desert city, which would be difficult to do under these conditions.