• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Big ol Attribute Guide

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
JUST FYI - 10/01/2013 - alot of things have changed on test, especially the number of points required to raise attributes per level. Will update this guide with accurate info once the reset is live.

So with attributes coming with the restart, I am going to go out on a limb and assume they may be confusing for a large number of the players who never touch the test server. This guide is a work-in-progress description of what attributes do, how to spend them, and general ideas on wisely spending your points. I will try to update this guide whenever attributes change significantly, the descriptions detailed in this guide are valid as of 9/28/2013.

1) What do attributes do?
Attributes are a new system allowing you to customize the strengths and weaknesses of your character. Previous to this, a wizard was a wizard was a wizard - they all had the exact same health, mana, mana regen, damage, etc. depending on level. Attributes allow you to change this by assigning points to 7 stat categories in order to customize your character to your liking. The categories you can spend points on are:

STRENGTH - Increases damage with melee weapons and physical abilities. Pretty self explanatory. If you want to do good damage with your left click action, or you are any kind of physical damage based class, you will want to spend points on strength. Appears to increase melee (left click) damage by 0.35 dmg per point. Please note that not all traditional melee class abilities are based on strength. If the ability sounds "magical-ish" there is a good chance its damage is based on intellect instead (ninja-blitz, almost all dreadknight abilities, runeblade sword runes, etc). Also, not all abilities are increased by strength at the same rate - so if you really love a few skills, check to see how much they increase in damage before spending too many of your points here.

CONSTITUTION - Increases hitpoints, and provides a slight resistance to magic (in future may also be related to equipment restrictions?). Currently each point of constitution will grant you 7.75 hitpoints and increase your magic resistance by 0.2%. Due to the way hp is configured (no fractions), if you raise con by four points, you will gain 7 hp once, and 8 hp three times, with this pattern resetting every four points. Every class seems to get the same bonus from con, but each class starts at much different base con / hit point levels (for example, wizard starts with 671 hp, paly with 966).

AGILITY - Increases damage with ranged weapons, base movement speed, and distance traveled with some abilities (generally movement related abilities). This stat increases the damage of bows for all classes that use them, and shuriken for ninja. With a fully drawn bow, n
inja's gain 0.593% extra bow dmg per point, and Rangers gain 0.479% extra bow dmg per point. Also increases base movement speed by 0.37% per point for all classes, and effects movement based abilities to varying degrees. Currently does not increase damage of most ranger abilities (explosive shot increased by intellect, aimed shot dmg is increased by agility though).

ENDURANCE - Increases stamina regen, and increases your equipment weight capacity, allowing you to equip more / better armor. This is probably the most complicated stat at the moment. Each point of endurance raises stamina regen by 1 and increases weight capacity by 0.75 for every class. However, each class has very different starting weight capacity and stamina regen, so points desired here is very class specific. For example, a beguiler starts with a weight capacity of 22.75, while a paladin starts at 65.25. Each piece of armor has a different weight requirement due to the different protection they provide (leather boots / helm have 5 weight requirement, while diamond chest has 40). Currently, no one can equip full diamond armor, although paly can get darn close (up to 96 out of required 100 weight capacity) by spending all attributes in endurance. As a general rule, if you dont need stamina regen, increase this stat to exactly the weight limit you need to equip what you want, and no more.

INTELLECT - Increases damage of magic based abilities, and increases mana pool. Increases mana for all classes by 5 per point. Similar to strength, the damage increase provided by this stat varies from skill to skill. For example, for a wizard, increasing intellect by 30 over baseline will increase fireball damage from 114 to 166 dmg (~46% dmg increase), but pulse will only be increased from 104 to 115 dmg (~11% increase). A lot of this is probably for balance reasons (single target vs AOE). It is important you check on the damage changes and make sure you are getting a good return on investment on this stat depending on what skills you use. Also, different classes start with much larger / smaller mana pools, so you may want to invest here just for increased mana (as a paly, for example).

WISDOM - Increases mana regen, and increases healing based abilities. Similar to endurance, this stat increases mana regen by 1 for each point increased for all classes. Classes start with different mana regen rates (with healers starting lower than casters, assuming for balance reasons), but all increase the same per point spent. For healing, just as with str and int, the bonus to each ability varies and you will need to check this on each individual class. For example, by raising wisdom by 30 over base level, a cleric can increase the healing of sacredtouch from 224 to 351.5 (57% increase), but divine blessing only increases from 168 to 235 (~40% increase). Alot of this is probably for balance reasons (single target vs group heals).

CHARISMA - increases the potency of bard songs, and increases the duration of some crown control effects. This is currently least valuable stat for most classes. If you have no crowd control, and are not a bard, this stat is probably useless for you. Even if you do have crowd control, the increases in duration can range from underwhelming to very good, so check the increase before investing heavily. For bards, well, bards are kinda fubar on test and i dunno what they will end up like. At the moment, charisma does seem to provide some increase for most bard songs, but with bards up in the air for now I will update this stat more once reset is live.

2) How do i get / spend attributes?

There are a few new commands on test related to attributes.
1) /stats - type to see your characters current statistics, including attributes scores
2) /attributes - bring up an attribute point spending interface. Not sure if this is working 100% yet, so if it isn't working for you, you can instead use commands below.
3) /attribute add <stat> <number> - type this to increase a given attribute by a certain number of points. Once typed, you will be given a message stating how many attribute allocation points you will need for the desired increase. If you agree with the cost, type /attribute add confirm. If you do not, you can cancel the investment by typing /attribute add cancel.
4) /attributes reset - type this to reset all attribute points to baseline for your class. There will be a coin cost for this on live, but i have no idea what it is. Similar to /attribute add, you will need to /attribute reset confirm or cancel before this command will go through.

Currently, a character on the test server is granted a total of 512 Attribute Allocation Points at lvl 65. It is assumed that characters will be given some number of attribute allocation points as they level, however, this is unknown by me. Attribute allocation points are not the same thing as attribute points - it takes a certain number of allocation points to raise an attribute by one point, depending on what your current attribute score is. This is referred to as a diminishing returns system, where you get less and less bonus per attribute allocation point the higher an attribute goes.
Below is a breakdown of how many attribute allocation points you will need to invest based on the attribute score you currently have:

<Attribute Score> <Increase Cost (allocation points>
Negative - +2 1 per increase
+2 - +5 2 per increase
+6 - +7 3 per increase
+8 - +10 4 per increase
+11 - +12 5 per increase
+13 - +15 6 per increase
+16 - +17 7 per increase
+18 - +20 8 per increase
+21 - +22 9 per increase
+23 - +25 10 per increase
+26 - +27 11 per increase
+28 - +30 12 per increase
+31 - +32 13 per increase
+33 - +35 14 per increase
+36 - +37 15 per increase
+38 - +40 16 per increase

I am assuming this pattern will repeat indefinately. With 512 total attribute allocation points, it is currently possible to raise a stat that starts at 10 to 50 max, but then you would basically have no points to put in anything else. As you can see, the system promotes spending points in different attributes - if you try to spend all in one attribute, you will end up with much fewer total attributes than someone who spends points accross multiple stats.

3) General Guide on How to Spend Points Wisely

-Every class can make good use of at least four attributes - a few could technically use all seven.

-Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you do not try to increase any one attribute beyond 30-35, because you will have very few points left over for other attributes if you spend beyond that number.

-On the positive side, it takes very little allocation point investment to increase a stat out of the negatives to +10 or so. Therefore, if an attribute has any value to your class, I would strongly recommend increasing it to at least +10.

-Attributes that are valuable to all classes include constitution, agility, and endurance. If you know what kind of armor you want to wear, figure out what weight capacity you will need to wear it, and increase your endurance until it grants that exact weight capacity number.

-Attributes are not the only major change to classes this patch - many new abilities were added, and almost all were changed in some minor to major way (in terms of scaling at least). Would recommend checking these changes out before choosing a class, or you may miss out on some of the cool additions implemented.

Last edited:

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
Whats the maximum amount of points you can spend in a category.
How many points does a level 65 class have?
How does bloodmage work. It has heals based on spell damage. Like siphon blood heals for 110% spell dmg and +4% per level of blood bond. Same thing with blood ritual it heals for up to 40% health. So will the only heals that are affected by wisdom be blood gift and infusion? I never really use these skills in PvP btw.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
How does bloodmage work. It has heals based on spell damage. Like siphon blood heals for 110% spell dmg and +4% per level of blood bond. Same thing with blood ritual it heals for up to 40% health. So will the only heals that are affected by wisdom be blood gift and infusion? I never really use these skills in PvP btw.

Currently, the healing for blood mage lifesteal abilities is increased by only intellect, while pure healing abilities are increased by wisdom. I would suggest wisdom also increase healing of lifesteal abilities by increasing the % of health return on siphonblood / bloodbond, but currently that is not the case. If you dont want to use infusion or bloodgift much, you could probably do fine with a low wisdom score. Wisdom does also increase mana regen though, so you would need to transfuse less by having a decent wisdom score. Blood ritual healing is also effected by wisdom, but is still pretty good even at low wisdom score

ShadowRavynn

Max Legacy Supporter

LOL he wasn't done yet silly ;p

richfish57

Legacy Supporter 6
I was trying to work out a lot of this myself but didnt get as far as you have. Awesome to get it all laid out nice and clearly. Most importantly I didn't notice you could add multiple points at once >< I was increasing things 1 point at a time.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
There is no max amount you can spend, you have diminishing returns so it becomes not so "smart" to spend all in one category. There's a soft-cap of sorts.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
There is no max amount you can spend, you have diminishing returns so it becomes not so "smart" to spend all in one category. There's a soft-cap of sorts.

Right, there is sort of a max limit though because you only have so many attribute allocation points, so by default, the max you can raise an attribute is by pumping all allocation points into it.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Just wondering @WitchOnaRampage are the armor values in the wiki yet?

-also nice guide
So glad someone tagged me :D. And no, Lightning, I don't have info on armor values for the wiki as yet.

Dakinara your guide looks great. It has all the advantages of personal experience. Would you consider expanding the info I put in the wiki a couple of days ago, please? It would be much appreciated. Alternatively, could I work with you to take some of your wording into the wiki page?

Hmm... perhaps when I put a new page in the wiki I should post it as a thread so it can get more feedback and contributions ... good idea!

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
So glad someone tagged me :D. And no, Lightning, I don't have info on armor values for the wiki as yet.

Dakinara your guide looks great. It has all the advantages of personal experience. Would you consider expanding the info I put in the wiki a couple of days ago, please? It would be much appreciated. Alternatively, could I work with you to take some of your wording into the wiki page?

Hmm... perhaps when I put a new page in the wiki I should post it as a thread so it can get more feedback and contributions ... good idea!

You are free to use any of this info in the wiki, or if want me to add somehow i can. I think some of these stats may be subject to change before reset but i will try to update it with launch info as it comes available.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Dakinara, it's great you've given attributes such a thorough workout :D.

A few thoughts:
  • there's another command: /attribute info. Interesting to hear an attribute interface is planned.
  • /attribute reset - I wasn't aware of the coin cost (but it makes sense of course). My understanding is you get the full pool of attributes back - something to keep an eye on.
  • I understand the per-level grant of AAP (attribute allocation points) is constant. That would be currently 8 points per level (@ 64 levels after the first one). Not sure if I've got that right, and the amount will likely change as things get adjusted.
  • I'm finding the terminology a little tricky. You see, everyone has the 7 attributes, it just might be that some have zero or negative values, which I guess means they aren't active. So one doesn't spend AAPs to buy attributes but rather to activate them or to increase their value.
  • Have I understood your table correctly that, for example, to raise an attribute value in the area of +13 to +15 will cost 6 AAPs per one point increase in value?
Disclaimer: My knowledge of attributes is purely academic and not experiential ;)! That's why we need PvPers contributing to the Wiki :D.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
Dakinara, it's great you've given attributes such a thorough workout :D.

A few thoughts:
  • there's another command: /attribute info. Interesting to hear an attribute interface is planned.
  • /attribute reset - I wasn't aware of the coin cost (but it makes sense of course). My understanding is you get the full pool of attributes back - something to keep an eye on.
  • I understand the per-level grant of AAP (attribute allocation points) is constant. That would be currently 8 points per level (@ 64 levels after the first one). Not sure if I've got that right, and the amount will likely change as things get adjusted.
  • I'm finding the terminology a little tricky. You see, everyone has the 7 attributes, it just might be that some have zero or negative values, which I guess means they aren't active. So one doesn't spend AAPs to buy attributes but rather to activate them or to increase their value.
  • Have I understood your table correctly that, for example, to raise an attribute value in the area of +13 to +15 will cost 6 AAPs per one point increase in value?
Disclaimer: My knowledge of attributes is purely academic and not experiential ;)! That's why we need PvPers contributing to the Wiki :D.

Yeah the current respec cost is 100 coins on test - wasnt sure how concrete that number is since it was 25 coins yesterday, will keep an eye on and add whatever the live value is once it comes up.

Everyone does have all seven attributes, its just difficult to really say the base attribute score effect all classes evenly, because they dont. For example, mystic and cleric start with wisdom around 10, but actually have lower mana regen at base than casters with wisdom around 0. I assume this is for balance reasons. In addition, paly starts with more constitution than wizard, but no where near enough to make up for the nearly 300 more hit points it has compared to wizzy. For that reason, i dont really pay much attention to the base attribute scores other than for determining the cost to raise to a desired level.

Yes that is correct interpretation of the table. Basically, it is a repeating pattern resetting every 5 points raised - first two cost n each, next three cost n+1 each, then next two cost n+2 each, then next three cost n+3 each ... to infinity (and beyond? :eek:) The only exception is points that start in the negative - any negative score up to positive 2 requires only one allocation point to raise the attribute by 1.

Last edited: