• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Battle Mage - Revamped Class

Lepita

Gold
This suggestion has been revamped to nerf my prior suggestion.

Skills colored green have been modified from the original.
New skills are colored in red and are modifications, or original new skills.

The Class Battle Mage at level 60+:

Can wear:
Helmet - Gold
Chest - None
Leggings - None
Boots - Leather, Chain

Special Armor Restrictions:
Cannot wear enchanted Chainmail (any piece).

Weaponry:
Primary Weapons: Sword, Hoe
Tools: Wood, Stone, Iron, Gold, Diamond Hoe
Wood: 5-10 Damage
Stone: 7-15 Damage
Iron: 10-20 Damage
Diamond: 15-25 Damage
Gold: 20-25 Damage
Stone Sword: 5-20 Damage
Gold Sword: 5-35 Damage

Skills:
Tumble: You are able to fall (0.1 per agility point) additional# blocks without taking damage.

Fireball: You summon a ball of fire, instantly launching it dealing (45 + 1.5 per intellect point) damage and setting your target on fire (doing 60 damage per fire tick). Cooldown Timer: 3 seconds. Mana usage: 40.

Shock: You strike your target with a ball of lightning, doing (10 + 2.5 per intellect point) damage and regaining 10% of the damage you dealt in mana. This skill has a 10% chance to deal damage to opponents near by the affected target (within 5 blocks)

Replenish: You are refreshed by regaining (30 + 1.5 per wisdom point) percent of your mana.

Root of Evil: You root your target (within 8 blocks) in place for 3 seconds. While rooted your opponent takes 15 damage per second.

Bolt: With lightning, you strike your target within (15 + 0.1 per intellect point) blocks and dealing (80 + 2.5 per intellect point) damage. 1 second warmup timer, 15 second cooldown.

Megabolt: You strike your target within (10 + 0.1 per intellect point) blocks and all enemies within 10 blocks of your target for (65 + 2.125 per intellect point) damage. 3 second warmup timer, 25 second cooldown.

GroupTeleport: You summon your current party to your location. Party members are not teleported if in combat. Takes 15 seconds to warm up.

Ode to the Storms: You begin to sing a song that calls forth a rain storm and increases lightning based damage by 50 but decreases fire damage by 40. This skill remains active for 60 seconds. Has a 2 minute cooldown. This skill effects everyone within a 20 block radius of the song.

Glass Shield: Summons a shield of glass around you for 15 seconds (this skill is coded, but not released)

Evade: You have a 50% chance to avoid being hit by physical attacks for 8 seconds, this skill has a 5 minute cooldown.

Lightning Step: Within a 4 block radius, enemies take 5-20 damage and are knocked back. This skill requires no casting time, This skill lasts for 10 seconds with a 2 minute cooldown.

Blink: You are teleported up to (7 + 0.1 per intellect point) blocks in the direction you are looking. Can be used through 1x1 holes. Can not be used while you are rooted.

Burst of energy: Allows you to run at the speed of (speed 2) - This skill is passive and only activates when you are below 40% health

Call of the Storm: You can only use this skill while Ode to the Storms is active. Bolts of lightning will rain down from the sky striking random locations and targets, This skill can hit you and your opponents, Deals a base damage of 50 per lightning bolt and is increased to 100 per lightning bolt due to the effects of the Ode to the Storms, This skill lasts for 30 seconds and has a 3 minute cooldown.(level 60 skill)

Last edited:

nick B

Glowing Redstone
I'll just list what i think.
1. Theres a high amount of CC spells in combination with mobility spells. A 5 second root is a lot of time, especially when this class has high burst (mainly aoe burst that, in combination with a 5 second root, would devastate the health of most classes). The knockback on lightning step is similar to pulse, but it looks like it could use a duration shortening. In addition to these CC spells, there are 2 mobility spells - blink and quantum leap. It seems like this is too much mobility for one class.
2. The fireball timer seems too short.
3. The mana regeneration on spell hit from shock is a cool effect. Good to have replenish as well. This class seems like a mana hog.
4. Ode to the storm- is lightning damage modifiable? If so, a 50 block range seems crazy far.
5. Glass shield better get a 10 min cooldown or it seems straight OP- 20 seconds is almost enough time to recall away.
6. Call of the storm would be interesting to see. No comment at the moment.

Not bad overall. Seems like an extreme class. Low armor, high burst, tons of CC, tons of mobility.

Lepita

Gold
to explain, "Ode to the Storm" does not allow spells to affect 50 blocks distance, but gives a buff/nerf to players within 50 block distance/radius.
Ode to the Storm does NOT allow someone to bolt 50+ blocks away, that's just dumb. if that's what you meant.

As for mobility, i wanted the class to have a higher end mobility due to the fact it has almost 0 armor. even less than a wizard considering yes, it can use chain boots... but you're not going to because you cant wear enchanted chain boots. so... meh...

Also, for glass shield, there are holes in the shield in which you 'can be hit through' although its not guaranteed to be a perfect defense.

with my response, i hope you'll reply with a few more feedback comments

Also i took some of your comments into consideration such as root being too long, and such, and adjusted those skills accordingly.

Last edited:

Mischevity

Legacy Supporter 8
Cool concept, here's some stuffs
Instead of having the class be without armor, let it have chain or leather mostly, and no enchantments are slightly odd imo. The class does have a bit much mobility, I've played casters a bit and even a small amount of mobility goes a long way, maybe reduce it to only blink. A 15 block root seems super powerful, and for 5 seconds nearly? That gives this battle mage time to launch off a buncha combos. Evade would be more useful and less powerful if it was a lower % like 50% or so, and if it was with all attacks in like 5-7 seconds, because if you can block all arrows for 30 seconds, that ranger is screwed. Lightning step sounds like dreadaura, which sounds awesome, but maybe reduce it to 4 blocks highten the duration to 10 seconds and keep the damage the same. That's all for now atm.

As a side thingy, how are you coding the skills, I'd like to learn some stuff.

Lepita

Gold
@Mischevity
Reduced root of evil to 8 block distance for 4 seconds as per reasonable/agreeable request.
Changes have been made to Evade to make it so you dodge 50% of all physical attacks for 20 seconds (arrows and melee, not spells)

Could you provide more feedback as a re-review?

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Sounds a lot like a highly mobile pyro. Sounds like it'd be easily outplayed by pyro, too. Except for possibly root of evil, and some of skills on this list, which are extremely overpowered for why they are. Ode to the storm seema like it would never be used, to be honest. And it almost seems like you took the capabilities of a rogue, the quantum leap and blink of a wizard and a beguiler, along with all the Magic damage in the world. Evade needs a time drop, curse is a similar skill and 20 seconds is WAY too long. And Evase just isn't needed. You have two ways to get out of tight situations with both Quantum Leap and Blink, which both have a much shorter cooldown than evade, and completely guarentee that you won't take any more damage. This class has enough Magic damage that it won't go melee unless it runs out of mana, which makes this skill useless when it has so much mobility. Curse works well on Pyro because pyro has to work in close quarters, and therefore curse it a lifesaver.

Root of evil is just straight overpowered. 4secons root? Seriously?

Glass shield sounds interesting but I'd have to see it in game to know.

Written on mobile, typos will be common, be wary.

Last edited:

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Removed QuantumLeap and added Burst of Energy
Burst of energy is a nice skill on its own, although 20 seconds is a bit long, since it would essentially allow you to utterly crush warriors that could not keep up. Possibly limit it to 10 seconds?

Also, the ode to lightning and lightning storm skill seems like an city and powerful combo on the surface, but its shot, and here's why: You could easily kill you self with this skill. Like, very easily. Possibly make it like blizzard, where you can select a certain part and pelt that spot with lightning, because its a more focused and useful Attack and not a waste of mana in order to commit suicide.

Root of evil is an odd idea. Everything I know about roots is that while they're in effect, they break if the targeted person/mob takes damage, so a DoT on a rooted player would work against the skill itself, and 4 seconds is a long ass root for all the damage this class dishes out. This class isn't wizard, the only thing it needs to use root for is bolt, and that's it. The root would only come in handy for stopping an enemy to get away, or land other easy skills otherwise, and to be honest, with all the burst it may be a bit much anyway.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Burst of energy is a nice skill on its own, although 20 seconds is a bit long, since it would essentially allow you to utterly crush warriors that could not keep up. Possibly limit it to 10 seconds?

Also, the ode to lightning and lightning storm skill seems like an city and powerful combo on the surface, but its shot, and here's why: You could easily kill you self with this skill. Like, very easily. Possibly make it like blizzard, where you can select a certain part and pelt that spot with lightning, because its a more focused and useful Attack and not a waste of mana in order to commit suicide.

Root of evil is an odd idea. Everything I know about roots is that while they're in effect, they break if the targeted person/mob takes damage, so a DoT on a rooted player would work against the skill itself, and 4 seconds is a long ass root for all the damage this class dishes out. This class isn't wizard, the only thing it needs to use root for is bolt, and that's it. The root would only come in handy for stopping an enemy to get away, or land other easy skills otherwise, and to be honest, with all the burst it may be a bit much anyway.
Forgot to add this bit, this class should be named spellsword, makes more sense imo, and should not weild a blaze rod. Instead it should weild a sword so it feels less pyro-ey to me. Because right now it's lining up to be a pyro that works around thunder instead of fire, and has one root.

Also, seriously, let the guy have his pants back, there's a breeze!

Last edited:

Lepita

Gold
@iAlchemist

Revamped burst of energy to be 10 second duration, reduced Root of Evil to 3 seconds, removed blaze rod and added golden sword and stone sword.

For the Swords, i gave it a wide damage spread to not guarantee it to be "OP"

Although i did not change how root of evil works, as i feel it'd be a nice change to the normal snare.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
No
@iAlchemist

Revamped burst of energy to be 10 second duration, reduced Root of Evil to 3 seconds, removed blaze rod and added golden sword and stone sword.

For the Swords, i gave it a wide damage spread to not guarantee it to be "OP"

Although i did not change how root of evil works, as i feel it'd be a nice change to the normal snare.
I mwan root if evil would have to be scripted as an entirely new skill, because normal roots break on damage, it could be scripted like a stun, which makes more sense.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Not sure what the intention of this was. I always thought a battle Mage was just a tankier Mage that did a little less damage than the squishy ones we're used to. The skills I read above just make it look like a better version of wizard