• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Axes and Anvils

What do you think should be changed?

• Total voters
Many classes in Herocraft use axes, and I'm totally on board with that. For two reasons, (A) It looks awesome (very awesome), and (B) there needs to be some method of evening out the melee damage between classes. Swords do the most damage (and you can block with them, which I"ll get into), followed by Axes (can't block, or be enchanted with Sharpness), and then Spades (shovels(can't block or enchant with Sharpness)) and Hoes (cannot block, or be enchanted at all).

In minecraft, weapons and tools deteriorate faster when they are used for something other than their original purpose.For example if you break a wooden plank with a diamond sword, it will lose 2 durability points rather than one. If you use the diamond sword for combat, it will only lose the 1 durability point because swords are meant for combat. Axes and Shovels on the other hand are not used for combat in minecraft. They are used to break wood and dirt. So when you hit a mob or player with them, they lose 2 durability points. This means a diamond axe with ~1500 durability points really only has 750 when you use for combat, which many classes do. They break doubly fast, and axe classes are already spending more diamonds making the axe than a sword class is making a sword. Hoes don't lose durability unless you till soil with them, because they aren't considered a tool, and only do fist damage in minecraft anyway.

Enchanters can enchant swords and bows with epic enchantments. In fact they can even put them on books now. But you can never get Sharpness, or Smite, or Fire Aspect on an axe or a shovel or a hoe (can't enchant at all). I agree this seems logical for minecraft purposes, but on Herocraft these tools are used as weapons. I notice anvils are completely disabled for some reason. While I don't know why, I do know that with anvils, a smith could use enchantment books and put them on their weapons.

A bukkit plugin will likely be the solution to the durability issue. While I can't find one at the moment (one probably does not exist), one could probably be written. The blocking thing I don't mind much. When I fight with swords, I do block hits as much as possible, It doesn't make much of a difference in Herocraft, where everything is scaled up. But it does mean a Runeblade has a potential advantage over a Dreadknight. The enchantment problem I do think needs to be fixed. A skill for enchanter would allow them to utilize the books, as would anvil access for smiths (could someone tell me why anvils are disabled in the first place). I think they should both be added.

Sanogono

ICE ICE ICE!
I think that anvils would allow Smiths to be able to somewhat take on the role of Enchanters with Enchant Books, which goes against the role of Smiths, to fix, deconstruct and name tools and armor. The other options I wholeheartedly agree with.

Moralsk

Gold
Yeah, most of what you said here are points I and others have already brought up. In my opinion it's a really big problem that classes like berserker, dreadknight, and pyromancer have to spend tons upon tons in order to constantly get new axes while some other classes have almost no cost involved at all.

I totally agree.

Does anyone know exactly why anvils are permanently disabled? My friend is trying to become a smith, and use of anvils was one of the reasons he wanted to be one. It's a bit silly they're not enabled. It's a part of the game. I don't see how it could be broken that badly.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I totally agree.

Does anyone know exactly why anvils are permanently disabled? My friend is trying to become a smith, and use of anvils was one of the reasons he wanted to be one. It's a bit silly they're not enabled. It's a part of the game. I don't see how it could be broken that badly.
If I remember right it was something to with being unable to restrict them properly. I could be totally wrong however. I do know it was/is an issue with bukkit

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
well first, classes that use hoes axes or shovels can get enchants on them if they get a rare drop like The Great axe of slaughter or the Spear of Kain, and if anvils were enabled it would also make engrave useless because with them you can rename items aswell as add enchants

many of these classes that use hoes or axes also have skills that go straight through armor such as Dragoon's piercing strike
I think its fine how it is and doesn't need to be changed

The Anvil would only be usable to the smith, and then engrave would be useless. But then they can still combine enchantment books.

I think instead of having separate skills for engrave and enchant, they should just earn the ability to use anvils at an earlier level.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
well first, classes that use hoes axes or shovels can get enchants on them if they get a rare drop like The Great axe of slaughter or the Spear of Kain
The problem is that while these items are usually very good, they are rare item drops from mobs, while as swords can get theirs straight from an enchanter

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Anvils are disabled due to a bukkit Issue I believe XD
The last time I checked. Anvils can't be manipulated because Bukkit has no events /api for them. Which means that Minecraft itself has anvils completely "client sided" so we cant adjust the exp used to repair/create items - we can enable them but they would be infinite without any way to restrict usage.

We "may" be able to charge-X souls to even open the anvil and just go from there.

Kimsgrim

Legacy Supporter 5
It bugs me to no end that swords users can have enchanted weapons, and shovel users cannot. I am aware of rare items, but that is not comparable when the cost of a common enchanted sword is 2 diamonds vs 200+ souls for a spear of kain.

Kimsgrim

Legacy Supporter 5
I think enchanters should be able to create sharp, fire, or fortune items. Just make it cost a massive amount of XP. Like 20 levels for a fortune 3 pick. Would make them rare.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
I think enchanters should be able to create sharp, fire, or fortune items. Just make it cost a massive amount of XP. Like 20 levels for a fortune 3 pick. Would make them rare.
if it costs that much it would be very expensive, but yet you wont just buy a spear of kain for 200s?

The last time I checked. Anvils can't be manipulated because Bukkit has no events /api for them. Which means that Minecraft itself has anvils completely "client sided" so we cant adjust the exp used to repair/create items - we can enable them but they would be infinite without any way to restrict usage.
We "may" be able to charge-X souls to even open the anvil and just go from there.

Hm... This explains why you would disable them. However I don't like the idea of it charging souls. Perhaps charging Iron? The only reason I want anvils to be usable is so that Enchantment books become in some way usable. I think both an enchanter's ability should be able to combine enchantment books from weapons. This way Axes Shovels and Hoes can become enchanted with Sharpness, Fire Aspect, Smite, and Bane of Arthropods. I don't care that these things are already rare drops. The ability for them to be player crafter is necessary.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
lol, you're funny. first of all, enchanters cant choose which enchant they get currently, and second, 20 levels is completely insane. the price of a spear of kain is completely market based, not monitored by the server. if enchanters wanted to, they could create a union of sorts and drive up the prices of enchantments, thus rendering sword enchants expensive as well. we all know that won't happen because human's are naturally greedy and they will all eventually undercut each other back down to prices currently.
Hm... This explains why you would disable them. However I don't like the idea of it charging souls. Perhaps charging Iron? The only reason I want anvils to be usable is so that Enchantment books become in some way usable. I think both an enchanter's ability should be able to combine enchantment books from weapons. This way Axes Shovels and Hoes can become enchanted with Sharpness, Fire Aspect, Smite, and Bane of Arthropods. I don't care that these things are already rare drops. The ability for them to be player crafter is necessary.
when advanced crafting comes in, I can see them becoming reagents for the advanced items.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
HotFix: Make the /skill Repair cost for a smith to repair a Diamond Sword 2 Diamonds, and while an axe requires 1 and a shovel requires 1.

Because Repair-ing Shovels is currently only used to save enchants (costs 1 to repair, costs 1 to make a new one), this would not be lowering Sword Repair utility to an unheard of level just to the level of Shovel Repair utility. It would also make Axes more efficient in terms of material costs, which will help make up for the durability costs.

How does that help anyone but smiths. The purpose of this thread is to get the durability equal. How is it equal if only smiths can take advantage of repairs?

The whole idea of smith is to repair and create armor and tools. Not to be the go-to profession for any class with an Axe or Shovel. If that is going to be the fix, then every profession needs to be able to /skill repair. It just wont work.

The durability of Axes and Shovels needs to be doubled.