• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Allowable minimap mods

Do you think we should add JourneyMap FairPlay (or another map mod) to our allowed list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Osmodian

Legacy Supporter 9
First off, I realize that adding mods to our 'approved' list will obviously require some testing and reviewing by staff -- and they have a lot on their plate to deal with already...but I'm hoping that this suggestion will be taken under serious consideration.

So we all know and love REI minimap, which is currently the only 'approved' minimap mod. However, it is also horribly out of date, may not have reliable updates in the future at all, and so far as I know, it needs to be installed manually to even work with Forge currently, and thus work with macromod/etc. I've seen many players admit to using Zan's minimap as an alternative (with radar/etc disabled -- which I think can be disabled with a config on server side? not sure...). But Zan's is kind of old too though and I'm not sure if there is going to be a reliable port to 1.8 when we get to that point.

The only other decent minimap that I'm aware of is JourneyMap, which for a long time was fairly cheaty. Recently though, they have divided it into 2 separate versions: the Unlimited/cheaty one, and the FairPlay version. The Fairplay one doesn't even have options for 'cave mode' or radar at all, so is essentially a more robust version of REI's in a lot of ways. The main difference being the scroll-able client-side map that Journeymap creates.

While I do realize it is difficult to enforce the rule that players use the proper version (and I have no idea if there is a server-side config available to limit the cheaty aspects of the Unlimited version), I was wondering if we could add the FairPlay version to our allowed list?

Also, as a side-note, is there any server-side way we can enforce what mods/texture-packs players are allowed to connect to the server with? Such that if they even have them in their mods/etc folder it will simply fail to connect?

P.S. As I was submitting this, I thought: why not make it a poll and see what player opinions are about this topic. So make sure you vote! :D

Or if you know of a comparable minimap mod instead of Journeymap, feel free to comment with your suggestion!

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
First off, I realize that adding mods to our 'approved' list will obviously require some testing and reviewing by staff -- and they have a lot on their plate to deal with already...but I'm hoping that this suggestion will be taken under serious consideration.

So we all know and love REI minimap, which is currently the only 'approved' minimap mod. However, it is also horribly out of date, may not have reliable updates in the future at all, and so far as I know, it needs to be installed manually to even work with Forge currently, and thus work with macromod/etc. I've seen many players admit to using Zan's minimap as an alternative (with radar/etc disabled -- which I think can be disabled with a config on server side? not sure...). But Zan's is kind of old too though and I'm not sure if there is going to be a reliable port to 1.8 when we get to that point.

The only other decent minimap that I'm aware of is JourneyMap, which for a long time was fairly cheaty. Recently though, they have divided it into 2 separate versions: the Unlimited/cheaty one, and the FairPlay version. The Fairplay one doesn't even have options for 'cave mode' or radar at all, so is essentially a more robust version of REI's in a lot of ways. The main difference being the scroll-able client-side map that Journeymap creates.

While I do realize it is difficult to enforce the rule that players use the proper version (and I have no idea if there is a server-side config available to limit the cheaty aspects of the Unlimited version), I was wondering if we could add the FairPlay version to our allowed list?

Also, as a side-note, is there any server-side way we can enforce what mods/texture-packs players are allowed to connect to the server with? Such that if they even have them in their mods/etc folder it will simply fail to connect?

P.S. As I was submitting this, I thought: why not make it a poll and see what player opinions are about this topic. So make sure you vote! :D

Or if you know of a comparable minimap mod instead of Journeymap, feel free to comment with your suggestion!
Do you have a list / config that can go server-side? we run CLientPermissions - but not sure if this is through the plugin.

Osmodian

Legacy Supporter 9
If your question is regarding Zans aka Voxel map, I know we had the cheaty options disabled on a FTB server I used to play on, but that was way back in 1.5.x and I've no idea if they still have support for server configs to be honest. I tried looking it up just now and apparently they have a .litemod version now too, but I'm not finding anything for server-side options, that might have been removed somewhere along the line...

--edit--

Just found this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1aavqe/disable_voxelmap_radar_for_pvp/

So the config for radar/cave mapping can be disabled by using a MOTD plugin such as Essentials or Mod Config such as ForgeEssentials with this included in the message:

§3 §6 §3 §6 §3 §6 §e or §3 §6 §3 §6 §3 §6 §d