• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Alchemist Needs a Buff

Frozen_Panda

Stone
As an alchemist myself, I have realized alchemist isn't all that great. You are only able to drink a potion every 3 minutes, so to fight someone you have to choose whichever potion you want, which doesn't seem right for an alchemist. Also, the cauldron ability, however cool, is not very good itself. Most of the things you can make with cauldron are extremely overpriced and are no where near worth it (examples):

1 Glowstone block = 1 Gold ingot, 1 Diamond, 1 Redstone Dust, and 1 Netherrack. I'm baffled as to why that costs so much.

1 Slimeball = 1 Diamond, 1 Lapiz Block, 1 Sapling. Once again extremely over priced.

1 Chiseled Stonebrick = 1 Stonebrick, 1 Iron Pickaxe. 3 Iron for a single block?

1 Endstone = 3 Stonebrick, 1 Netherwart, 1 Diamond Block, 1 Blaze Rod, 1 Ender Pearl. This totals up to over 80 souls for 1 block.

1 Netherbrick Fence = 8 Obsidian, 1 Netherbrick Block. 2 obsidian alone is worth more than this.

(There are others, just look at the wiki - http://herocraftonline.com/wiki/Cauldron)

Now, I understand with cauldron you can make normally unaccessible blocks, but aren't the prices a little bit absurd?

Another thing that is massively over priced is the transmute ore ability.
20 : 12 Lapis Blocks into 1 Diamond - Really pricy honestly, 12 Lapis blocks is 108 lapis ores (about 25 lapis ore blocks)
30 : 64 Coal into 1 Diamond - Unefficient to say the least - probably one of the better ones of this ability however.
40 : 18 Iron Ore into 1 Gold Ingot - Absolutely horrible deal.
40 : 20 Iron Ingot into 1 Gold Ingot - Even worse than the one above.

Overall, alchemist is in need of changes. Since there is a 3 minute delay on using a potion, it forces you to choose one potion, which isn't very good. Cauldron is horribly inefficient in its conversions, and needs price reductions. Transmute Ore is also inefficient for all 4 options. Since these 3 abilities are basically all an alchemist has, I think they're in need of an upgrade. Although I haven't proposed any changes specifically, I do think someone needs to rework alchemist.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
What? You can drink speed + HP potion without the cooldown affecting the other.

monkeyfatzer

Legacy Supporter 3
Alchemist is a perfect class, they can transmute plus use potions. They do not need any changes in my opinion as all the professions are completely fine right now except maybe miner, but miner is still really useful.

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
The only issue with alchemist is the cauldron recipes are pretty stupid and pricey for a small amount of something useless like netherbrick other then that the potions and everything else are great.

Frozen_Panda

Stone
Alchemist is a perfect class, they can transmute plus use potions. They do not need any changes in my opinion as all the professions are completely fine right now except maybe miner, but miner is still really useful.
Transmuting ores is insanely inefficient, just look at the ratios.

What? You can drink speed + HP potion without the cooldown affecting the other.

I don't believe that is true, testing currently.

Tested - it does work, previous test was flawed because if you hold down right click for a half of a second, it thinks you drank the entire potion - needs fixing as well.

Last edited:

Popeyepoop1

Legacy Supporter 7
Another thing that is massively over priced is the transmute ore ability.
20 : 12 Lapis Blocks into 1 Diamond - Really pricy honestly, 12 Lapis blocks is 108 lapis ores (about 25 lapis ore blocks)
30 : 64 Coal into 1 Diamond - Unefficient to say the least - probably one of the better ones of this ability however.
40 : 18 Iron Ore into 1 Gold Ingot - Absolutely horrible deal.
40 : 20 Iron Ingot into 1 Gold Ingot - Even worse than the one above.

quote]

I do agree that the ratio is terrible and also cauldron recipes take a ridiculous amount of materials for almost no gain. I don't think being to use one extra potion is worth the tradeoff.

Dreamcycler

Legacy Supporter 5
Isn't potions enough? But yes the recipes are kind of "overpriced"
But I like the current transmute ore.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3

In my opinion, the current transmute ore (iron to gold) is terrible due to the value of gold dropping to almost nothing. In the past it was a neat way to make money, however currently there is no real practical use for it.

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
Transmute ore is garbage professions are a huge factor to make you money by next months pot prices will be down to like 1s a pot since by then everyone will have a huge abundance of those mats.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
Transmute was a really good skill before gold prices dropped. I made over 5k of it last map barely doing anything. I transmuted all the time, while brewing, mining, and pvping.

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
Alch is fine..... The recipies may be overpriced but you don't need those materials, unless you want to make a town (I don't know if u need some reagents made by alchemists but I think you might) and in that case you should have to spend money

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
Transmuting ores is insanely inefficient, just look at the ratios.

What use is lapis? transmuted all my lapis and extra coal into diamond last map...... made some good money, just transmute the items you don't need and you can make money.

Frozen_Panda

Stone
Considering strength potions do not work, regeneration most likely heals 1 health per tick (basically nothing), and everything else is overpriced, I"m pretty sure alchemist is in need of help.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
Considering strength potions do not work, regeneration most likely heals 1 health per tick (basically nothing), and everything else is overpriced, I"m pretty sure alchemist is in need of help.
Health pots and speed pots are really good. People also use splash poison to be annoying and slow people down. Fire resist is also used to counteract fireballs

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
wow after reading this about the transmute prices i am rethinking my profession choice... :( and to be honest i was looking forward to alchemy thinking it would be useful like in World of Warcraft

Northac

Obsidian
i dont much care for the iron to gold, and the lapis to diamond is kinda expensive. i do not have an issue with the coal to diamond though, since coal is abbundent. the cauldron recipes do need some adjustment, some of the items are too expensive for what you get in return.
For example, some of the items you can create that would normally be found in the nether cost items from the nether in order to make it in the first place. which would reqiure a trip to the nether were you could gather them anyways. As an example for a new cauldron recipe
Obsidian(6) = 5 lava buckets and one water bucket

Just my two cents

Frozen_Panda

Stone
Really looking for a reply from someone that has the power to change this. It's pretty evident the only 2 potions you can make are speed and fire resist (Strength, regeneration don't work and health potions are mediocre at best). Debuffs are also okay, but really aren't very good. Transmute ore is either very outdated or just plain out ridiculous, and cauldron is way too expensive to be practical.

Last edited:

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
Yes, alchemist's costs are pricey for making things in a cauldron and stuff. Potions are useful for many things too. Alchemist is a good class but it isn't the class to be if you are looking to make a fortune or a lot of money.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
Potions don't need a change at all.

Cauldron Recipes probably could use a small rework. I think the Endstone one you used as an example should stay tho as its use in town upgrades and kingdom tax make it a very important block.

Transmuting recipes were fine last map. The lapis to diamond one could maybe use a look at. Iron to Gold is the way it is because of the old currency system. Even with the new system I think the rate is okay tho.

This is coming from a someone who's been a fully mastered Alchemist for 3 maps in a row.