• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion What makes servers so popular?

Ultanian

Portal
Have you noticed most servers go unnoticed or have a small community, and when someone decides to post videos regularly there is a massive jump of people? All that HC needs is a single, good quality video explaining what HC is all about, maybe even a series on what to do. If some youtuber or even one of our own community members made a series, I'm sure we would see a jump of players of at least 50 at all times. There just doesn't seem to be enough publicity for HC.

Mustardmanmcgee

Legacy Supporter 3
I remember talking about wanting to make a video series to me Ult?

You could do it as I do my lore. Just release a new video every weekend on a definite date! Not that hard! Oh, and make sure you don't sound depressed when you talk, speak up, sound excited, plan out an activity for the video, and get a good mic!

@BaBomba @EtKEnn @UltNachopony I'm sure one of you guys can do something like this.

Ultanian

Portal
As soon as I'm active again on the server and I have fraps or something similar, I think I'll be making videos ;)

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
You could do it as I do my lore. Just release a new video every weekend on a definite date! Not that hard! Oh, and make sure you don't sound depressed when you talk, speak up, sound excited, plan out an activity for the video, and get a good mic!
"Release a new video at a definite date every weekend"
Homework, tests, end of terms, exams, social life, sport activities and spending my weekends at my vacation home with no computer. These are all reasons why your statement is wrong.

"Make sure you sound excited"
For a player who has been around for two and a half years and been a herald for two, not too much makes me very excited.
Also worth mentioning that I never really use english for anything but debates at school and competetive CS: GO & LoL.

Then there is the job with the video.

You have to come up with new ideas every week for what you can record. You have to spend hours finding good enough videofootage. Then spend another few hours compressing and cutting all of it into the clips you need. Then put it all together and do final editing. This easily takes up an entire day just the editing, and getting the footage even longer since it requires a bit of luck aswell.
When I made the "25 ways to die on Herocraft" video, it was for the video competition a while back and I had to make it on the deadline day itself. Even though I spent my entire day doing it, I only had enough time to compress all my clips into 480p quality before editing. If I had used HD I wouldn't have made it within the deadline.

Making Herocraft short videos of just epic/funny moments would be easier, but that requires me to record at all times. If it was to work out, then the community would have to contribute with footage aswell.

If a video series had been easy to do, someone would have done it already.

RagingDragon5

Portal
"Release a new video at a definite date every weekend"
Homework, tests, end of terms, exams, social life, sport activities and spending my weekends at my vacation home with no computer. These are all reasons why your statement is wrong.

"Make sure you sound excited"
For a player who has been around for two and a half years and been a herald for two, not too much makes me very excited.
Also worth mentioning that I never really use english for anything but debates at school and competetive CS: GO & LoL.

Then there is the job with the video.

You have to come up with new ideas every week for what you can record. You have to spend hours finding good enough videofootage. Then spend another few hours compressing and cutting all of it into the clips you need. Then put it all together and do final editing. This easily takes up an entire day just the editing, and getting the footage even longer since it requires a bit of luck aswell.
When I made the "25 ways to die on Herocraft" video, it was for the video competition a while back and I had to make it on the deadline day itself. Even though I spent my entire day doing it, I only had enough time to compress all my clips into 480p quality before editing. If I had used HD I wouldn't have made it within the deadline.

Making Herocraft short videos of just epic/funny moments would be easier, but that requires me to record at all times. If it was to work out, then the community would have to contribute with footage aswell.

Well, just have all the heralds have footage and have a couple of editors. You guys are heralds for a reason

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Well, just have all the heralds have footage and have a couple of editors. You guys are heralds for a reason
That would imply that the Herald team actually exists in more than just the name. That is not the case at this point.

Egorh

Outcast
Legacy Supporter 7
We need people to record themselves building magnificent structures and people that record PvP, win or lose. I would do the latter but my computer can't handle it

DefaultTexture

Legacy Supporter 4
Have you noticed most servers go unnoticed or have a small community, and when someone decides to post videos regularly there is a massive jump of people? All that HC needs is a single, good quality video explaining what HC is all about, maybe even a series on what to do. If some youtuber or even one of our own community members made a series, I'm sure we would see a jump of players of at least 50 at all times. There just doesn't seem to be enough publicity for HC.
Even if a youtuber made videos, there wouldn't be that much of a jump. HC isn't p2w, so for most people seeing it through a youtube video, it won't really be worth the time it takes to level and whatnot.

RagingDragon5

Portal
Even if a youtuber made videos, there wouldn't be that much of a jump. HC isn't p2w, so for most people seeing it through a youtube video, it won't really be worth the time it takes to level and whatnot.
It may not be a drastic change, but it will bring in more people. It depends on the quality of the videos.

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
We need people to record themselves building magnificent structures and people that record PvP, win or lose. I would do the latter but my computer can't handle it
PvP videos, yes. Just about the only thing i think people would watch and maybe care to come check us out.

It cant just be a 7 minute video of you chasing someone then running away, you need to record lots of pvp then edit it and make a 7 minute video thats 6 minutes of pvp.

@Bobby848 Has been uploading some pvp videos, but he or someone else needs to edit it to make it more pvp and less running/chasing.

PvP videos, yes. Just about the only thing i think people would watch and maybe care to come check us out.

It cant just be a 7 minute video of you chasing someone then running away, you need to record lots of pvp then edit it and make a 7 minute video thats 6 minutes of pvp.

@Bobby848 Has been uploading some pvp videos, but he or someone else needs to edit it to make it more pvp and less running/chasing.

I could edit videos to make a montage???
Thoughts?
I'm still an Adobe noob so it’ll be a while until I have some very high quality and engaging videos.
I do however get the problem when I export the edited video I notice that the quality has been dramatically lessened.

w0nd3rb0y

Legacy Supporter 5
I could make an explanatory video on how to get started with HC, however I would probably need to use an Alt account to start fresh on the server for demonstration purposes.

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
I could edit videos to make a montage???
Thoughts?
I'm still an Adobe noob so it’ll be a while until I have some very high quality and engaging videos.
I do however get the problem when I export the edited video I notice that the quality has been dramatically lessened.
Yes basically a montage, One of sam's videos was edited very well, it was quite long but it was 90% pvp.

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
What makes servers popular is "Player acceptance" or the percentage of players that enter the server ( Which is like 5 daily here ) that stay on the server ( So around 1 of these 5 players ), with high Player Acceptance numbers the server can grow fairly quickly, so in a year with 1 permenent player per day we could become a 400 person server T_T

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
What makes servers popular is "Player acceptance" or the percentage of players that enter the server ( Which is like 5 daily here ) that stay on the server ( So around 1 of these 5 players ), with high Player Acceptance numbers the server can grow fairly quickly, so in a year with 1 permenent player per day we could become a 400 person server T_T
Also, we have an age requirement, most servers are filled with 7-13 year olds, while HC is 13+