• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

View Distance: Far

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
I didn't know where to post this since there is no tech support area on the forum so i hope this is okay.

Right now I play on View Distance: Normal and sometimes ill randomly crash, maybe once every few hours. Soon as i put the view distance to Far I crash every few minutes. Anyone know why this is and is there anyway to fix it so I could play with the setting on Far without crashing?

I'm currently running Windows 7 64 bit and the machine is pretty new and fast.

Solace

Banned
I always play on far. Sometimes i get the game go black and i have to use task manager to close it. This isnt really that common an occurring luckily. And its better than putting up with that foggy shit.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
Yea that's the kind of crash i get (black screen and opening task manager) only this will happen to me every couple of minutes :(

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
If you want to play on far render you may need to have java allocate more ram to minecraft, its capped by default. Which is because Notch is retarded.

How to fix this shit

This guy goes through in detail how to fix things up. If thats too TLDR for you then here's the text from the batch file I made, which is a little different than what this guy suggests but it worked for me.

Make a file with a .bat extension, like mcram.bat or something.

Edit that file, copy in:

@ECHO OFF
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" java -Xmx4096M -Xms2048M -jar "C:\Users\Capn_Danger\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\minecraft.exe"

You will need to edit the paths to point to your java.exe and minecraft.exe, depending on where you have them installed.

You may need to change the values, Xmx is the max memory MC will take, and Xms is the starting value allowed.

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
^^^

Don't forget that you need 64bit Java to do that and a 64bit OS, otherwise you're limited to 3GB or less so that fix won't work.
I tried this myself a couple of months ago to boost my fps but it didn't make a damn difference.

Being said that, I'm on a 4 year old PC (2,6GHz C2D ; 4GB DDR2 ; 9800GTX+ ; Win7 64bit) that runs Minecraft with render set to Far without crashing. I only get lag near Sanctum but that's probably because of the animated textures and the 128x128 texture pack I'm using.

Alternatively, you can try the Optimine mod that's supposed to boost fps by a great deal. Again, that didn't make a difference for me. Guess it's mainly for laptops and weaker systems.

Also, look into this topic: http://herocraftonline.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=581
I posted a few ideas on how you can make your PC run faster. Most of the time it's people installing all kinds of crap, 20-30 program running in the background and having an antivirus/firewall that brings the system to a crawl.

Neo_Exdeath

Destroyer Of Worlds
Legacy Supporter 3
Ive found that running minecraft on my linux (ubuntu) partition I can play on far and It almost never crashed. Thats not really an option for everyone but would help.

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
Captain Danger, With the .bat file do we run it before we run minecraft .exe? I'm a little lost, usually I am good with PC's but not java lol Thanks for the tips/link :D

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
ReedME said:
Captain Danger, With the .bat file do we run it before we run minecraft .exe? I'm a little lost, usually I am good with PC's but not java lol Thanks for the tips/link :D

I can't remember, try running it before you open MC and then while it's runningl, just for good measure.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
How do i know if i have 64 bit java installed? when i installed java i just went to the website and basically hit download and i got whatever it downloaded lol!

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
It has taken me at least 15 minutes before realizing that you cannot download the 64bit installer using Firefox! When you click on "download 64bit Java" and the fcking thing jumps back to the first page or starts to download the 32bit version!! :icon_rolleyes:

You can check whether you have it installed by looking at your C:\ drive's contents. If you see both Program Files (x86) and Program Files directories then you're on a 64bit OS. Next, look inside the latter. If you see a Java folder in there then that's the 64bit version.

Anyways, here is the link to the 64bit Java: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=43883 (had to use iexplorer to find it again but at least this time, I knew what to do)

Darroes

Legacy Supporter 6
On my newer i7 laptop i play on far all the time and have only ever crashed once or twice. However my brother who uses a desktop which is probably just as powerful crashes every few minutes on far and often enough on normal. the only difference between the two machines is that the desktop is older and 32bit Vista and my laptop is newer and 64bit Win7.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
I would just like to say that installing the 64 bit version of java alone seems to have stopped all signs of crashing on far viewing distance :D. Thanks for the help!

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Just make sure to keep the 32bit, some mods need that. I have both installed on my PC - maybe that's the reason why I never crash? Who knows :)
Glad that your problem has been sorted!

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
Yea, i just downloaded the 64 bit and never uninstalled what I had so i guess i got both now too :)