• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Tutorial Island

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Just continuing my spree of suggestions :p

Alright I'll try keep this one simple.
Based on my own observations, 90% of incoming players(Which btw, are a LOT of incoming players) quit because the servers too confusing.

Now we have 2 choices I see here. One is what we've already been doing. Turn them away claiming the server is a hardcore server and its too confusing, they leave. Our second option, is to admit the server isn't actually hardcore, it's actually quite simple, and give new players a better learning situation.

To be honest, no one wants to exit their minecraft go on their browser and browse a site to get information about a game, especially newer players. Not saying the wiki is a bad thing the wiki is one of the greatest things about this server, it's just not the best way to portray the information about this server to newer players.

Our current tutorial consists of floating text, and no interaction. It's almost like the tutorial itself is just telling you "Just run past me just run past me" And players do indeed, just run past, then they ask in help chat, then they get rightfully ignored, and then they leave.

@Kainzo not too long ago stated that there are over 2000 unique players per week. Yeah most of em are bots, so lets even take the number down to 1000. Could you IMAGINE, if we had 1000 recurring players? That would fucking rock, well maybe the lag wouldn't, but i'm sure we'd evolve to fit the standards of 1000 recurring players. unfortunately though, most of them turn their back and leave.

Like I said earlier, a huge reason that players quit is that the server is too confusing. So far we've just told them gtfo this servers too confusing for you owe well. It's time for us to accept the people in y'know, and NO we don't need to hold their hands and guide them through the server. There's a simple way to clear up all confusion in new players, and it's an interactive tutorial.

To be honest, a tutorial island has become a baseline in all RPG's (Runescape, Tera, EVO, Blade and soul, SkySaga, Even WoW) I think it's time we give new players a reason to stick around, and give them an interactive, and informative tutorial. The age of floating text should be a thing of the past, lets have a mini arena for new players to test how abilities work, lets have crafting simulations to teach them how crafting works, lets have them trade in souls for coins to teach them how to make money. These are just some of countless ideas for a tutorial island.

The server is hardcore i get it, but that doesn't mean we should just give confused players the boot. We're all human, we'll get confused. The only time we should give players the real boot is when they go through the tutorial island and STILL ask questions.

That's about it. Today someone in chat was talking about how they wish they saw players in the wild. I totally agree man the feeling of seeing a player in the wilderness is so thrilling and in explainable. Should you kill them? befriend them? follow them? Talk to them? It's just an amazing feeling. But sadly, there are no players to see in the wilderness because they don't exist. Lets begin to welcome players and introduce an eye catching tutorial island to give players that 'Wow this is cool' Feeling.

Last edited: