• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

turn protection into spells

McGreed

TNT
While having my "I-hate-PvP"-attack-post in another thread, I came with a suggestion, which I know after thinking more about, could benefit of being a proper suggestion for the server.

It all came from the threads where PvP people complaining about people protecting stuff and about the size of the areas they do it with. The problem for mods and admins is that its a real pain to figure out if some areas is too big, or going to places where they ain't allowed.

My suggestion might partly solve this problem by making all protection, instead of being an 'server-mod-function', intergrate it into something more part of the world: Magic. Redo the protection mods to become magic protection mod.

Oo if you like to protect an area, you need to do your thing and mark the area you want to protect. Then you 'cast the spell' and your area is protected.

Now, the size of the area determines how much regs it will use, so you could make a 5x5x5 size protection for 1 redstone, or 100x50x10 for 20 redstone (just examples, redstone cost needs work). So it will naturally limit peoples reckless protecting areas, now that it has a certain cost to it.

Of course, a 'normal' citizen doesn't have the 'power' of creating larger area, so if they do anything above something like 25x25 as it is now, they will get the message: *your spell fizzled, not powerful enough for a spell of this size*
While higher Tir and admins got more 'power' and can create larger areas. This could all be calculated in the spell mod componet.

Eventually have it so when you have marked out the area, and use the /spell cost protection, it will calculate the right amount of redstone you need to cast it. (Math comes in here, can always come up with a proper use-table, like x blocks protected * 0.1 redstone or something, or in levels, like 10-50 blocks=1 redstone, 50-100 = 3 redstone)

I know this would mean we need to create a new plugin, but I think it will work better then the flimsy way we got it now and easier to control when its done, since its all automatically done.

Something else for the PvP section is an option to cast an 'Decay' spell on the protection, which will make the protection fail in 5 minutes (or something, just to give the owners a chance to respond with an 'reinforce' spell) to make it accessible for a short time.

I'm just rambling right now.

Angusward

Gold
McGreed said:
Now, the size of the area determines how much regs it will use, so you could make a 5x5x5 size protection for 1 redstone, or 100x50x10 for 20 redstone (just examples, redstone cost needs work). So it will naturally limit peoples reckless protecting areas, now that it has a certain cost to it.
Possibly even add a redstone cost over time; not too much, but enough that you have to refill the redstone chest every few days.

Something else for the PvP section is an option to cast an 'Decay' spell on the protection, which will make the protection fail in 5 minutes (or something, just to give the owners a chance to respond with an 'reinforce' spell) to make it accessible for a short time.
This is to protect blocks. PvP should still be enabled in the protected zone, or double the timely redstone cost to disable PvP. Naturally, towns don't have this cost.