• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion trapper

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
I have an idea for a new profession or something: Trapper
the trapper would be able to "catch" mobs or slow players with their ability. What could be done is the player lays a "trap" on the ground, which just changes the block they are standing on to iron fence or iron block or something, and when something walks over it, it "catches" them, turning them into a spawn egg!
to incorporate leveling up and such to this, you could make a trapping system.
level 1: basic prof skills: mark, recall, etc

level 5: traps; lays a trap on the ground which can catch mobs or players (read on)
level 5 zombie
level 10 skeleton
level 15 spider
level 20 creeper
level 25 enderman
level 30 passive mobs
level 35 villagers
level 45 players (just a slow effect)
level 55 nether mobs
all traps require 2 iron fences to place, semi-long cooldown, say, 1 minute
only 1 trap can be placed at any time, any extras will "reset" the old trap, converting it back to its previous block.

level 15: domesticate; has a chance per level to have mobs spawned by you, be friendly and not attack you, but other mobs and players. ie, 15%chance by default, 1%chance per level

level 20: explosion egg; left click throws the creeper egg you're holding to create a small explosion (does not kill, small damage) at the impact site.

level 30: passive mobs spawned have low chance to spawn 2

level 40: chat; similiar to merchants ability to trade, but only once and it opens the trade screen on spawn of the villager, as in, you only can trade with 1 villager once.

level 50: fire trap; when used, the next trap placed will not "catch" a mob, rather it will ignite them, dealing a little bit of damage in the process.

level 60: combine; a cauldron use, allows you to get other mobs. ie, 3 chicken eggs and a pig egg for a cow egg, 2 zombies and a skeleton make a villager, 5 creepers, 2 enderman, 1 zombie pigman, and a normal zombie for a ghast... something like that

just an idea, im really tired and may not have thought this through well...
the mobs/players have to actually come in contact with the trap for it to activate.
maybe add a message: you have successfully caught a [mob type]
to prevent people from exploiting the "chat" skill by recapturing the villager, maybe you could make it so mobs spawned by spawners cannot be caught, and just have mobs spawned by spawn eggs have the data value of a spawner mob.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
Ive seen a server that used chicken eggs to catch mobs, then they turned to mob eggs, I would love to see something like this added. Imagine if a group of people go out and catch a bunch of mobs, bring them back to town and share the xp. or save the mobs for defending their town.

JDFinal

Legacy Supporter 5
I must say. I like the idea. Using chicken eggs to catch mobs would be amusing.

malmenca

Diamond
The issue is that it involves far to much combat to be a profession, I do like it though :)

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
These are creative ideas. As stated above, traps would directly affect combat which is normally avoided with professions. I've seen fire and slowing traps given to rogues in other games, so it would make a great fit for HC rogues.

This would also destroy the price of spawn eggs by making them really common.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
how could you get spawn eggs otherwise? and yeah, you're right, this does seem a bbit combat related...

EDIT: also! the plugin for chicken spawn eggs is called mobcatcher, i had it on my sh*tty server for awile

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
well you could change the stack size of mob eggs to 1, that would make it so you can only catch so many, as well as having certain mobs off limits, ie creepers and spiders. Furthermore you could have it linked to a profession such as scribe, I know the logical profession would be farmer but i think scribes would be able to use rune etched eggs to catch mobs and release them. The mobs would still agro on the player throwing them if they are too close. You arent getting anything new out of it you are just moving one thing from one place to another. Will it decrease the value of spawn eggs? yes. will it increase the value of scribe? yes.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I love this idea, simply for the capability of being able to spawn monsters before (or maybe during) combat. It would make traps so much more effective if the foe falls in a swarm of creepers instead of lava/suffocation roof.