• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Suggestion] Change Necromancer's BecomeDeath audio file

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
Become Death states:

BecomeDeath 25 50 30 sec For 2 minutes you appear undead: you become invisible to non-aggravated Skeletons and Zombies and you are able to breath underwater.

However, the audio for casting this sounds like a cat. Now, I can see how if the spell said "Become a Necromancer's Familar" how the sound of a black cat (think Pyewacket in Bell, Book, & Candle) would be appropriate, but otherwise it seems a bit tenuous to have a cat sound associated with becoming undead.

Back in Bastion, the sound of Become Death was a zombie; I would like to request that it be switched back to a rotating file of the various sounds that a zombie makes...with maybe even a baby zombie every now and then. ;)

Thanks much. :)

-yav

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
This confuses my wife and my cats when I use this skill... I support the change!

I had a similar experience! lol

I would also LOVE a way to metamorph my character into a zombie or skeleton when BecomeDeath was active (reverting back to my regular skin upon expiration or when it breaks b/c of attacking a zombie or skele). I think that would be way cool. ;)

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
I had a similar experience! lol

I would also LOVE a way to metamorph my character into a zombie or skeleton when BecomeDeath was active (reverting back to my regular skin upon expiration or when it breaks b/c of attacking a zombie or skele). I think that would be way cool. ;)
We can do this for you, but it'll cost you about 2 metric tons of lag for the entire server.

DO YOU ACCEPT?

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
We can do this for you, but it'll cost you about 2 metric tons of lag for the entire server.

DO YOU ACCEPT?

If the technology is out there to make it happen, it would be fun to see! Worst case, it doesn't work for HC but is marketable as a mod for someone else. :)

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Well, it does already exist. At least for servers.

It's important to distinguish here.

If you want to look like a Zombie on Your Computer, you need a Client Mod. This can be created to "work" with Herocraft, but it can work without it as well. This however, would only make you a Zombie on Your Computer. Nobody else would see this change, and the only "lag" that is caused by this, is the lag to your FPS. (Which is likely close to nothing)

If you want to look like a Zombie to Other Players, you need a Server Plugin. This can work with heroes to "transform" you into a Zombie for the server, and all clients connected to that server will see you as such. There is already a plugin that accomplishes this, and it is called DisguiseCraft.

Before Haven launched, I had actually re-programmed BecomeDeath to work with this plugin, and it was working on the Test Server for a couple of weeks. When you casted BecomeDeath, the rest of the server saw you as a Zombie. (The code is still in I believe, so it would take effect immediately if Kainzo ever added in the plugin...)

HOWEVER, there are / were issues with it.
Because it was a server plugin and not a client mod, You, The Player, were unable to see this change to your own character. You would appear as a zombie to every single player, except yourself. If I wanted to make it work for the caster of the ability, I would have had to create a Client Mod, something I am unfamiliar with and not really willing to learn. Additionally, Kainzo does not like forcing players to download plugins, so he wasn't exactly excited about the idea anyways.

I took a peek at the code for DisguiseCraft, and I saw what they were doing. It was...very clear that they came up with a hacky solution. (A damn fine hacky solution, and probably the only way to actually make it work, but a hacky solution nontheless.) I could tell it had potential to cause a ton of lag for HC. It also had a few bugs with nameplates, and server lag / server crashes caused additional wonkyness. It just wasn't in a state where I thought it would be a good idea to add it to the server, let alone convince Kainzo that we should do it.

And thus, the idea was scrapped. I wouldn't count on seeing it happen unless we get a slew of skills that wish to make use of the "DisguiseCraft" plugin. And if that time comes, you'll have one more thing to blame the lag on.