• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Smart XP display

Prior Note
This idea is designed to improve the experience for players, yet if implemented wouldn't at all force players to change the way they do things. If you really like the idea of part of this suggestion, but wouldn't use other parts, please still mention your interest, you won't be forced to use it all.

Introduction
I know many people have resorted to turning off experience points being displayed in their chat, simply because of the verbosity of the messages it gives you when doing simple day to day playing. Of course, to deal with this, there is the "/hero verbose exp" command. Many people also want to get an idea of how they are going (progress wise) with their class or profession. For this, there is the "/lvl toggle" command to switch which one the experience bar shows.

The system may have some ways to help players assess their exp. progress, but really it could be better.

"I want to see the experience i get for killing mobs, but not all my mining!"
"I wish i didn't have to manually switch my experience bar, and it would just show what i'm doing"
"I want chat to display the experience i get, but does it have to be so dang verbosive?"

The suggestions

Allow for the hiding of just one of the experiences (only hide profession exp,or only hide class exp)

/hero verbose exp class
/hero verbose exp profession

Of course the current "/hero verbose exp" command would toggle both still
Would probably end up being used most to hide profession experience, but display class experience.

Implement an option to automatically change what your experience bar shows, according to the last experience source

/lvl autotoggle

Using the existing "/lvl toggle" command would toggle the display still, regardless of whether autotoggle is on or off.

This allows players to get a good idea of how their going in both profession and class. For example, if a player kills a mob, then goes "oh i wonder how close to levelling up i am", they don't have to switch manually.

Note: This should only swap for experience generated by the player. If they are in a party and it worked off all sources of experience, it would end up swapping madly!

Allow for experience updates at set intervals

Either have a single interval which everyone can use (say, 1 minute), or allow the player to choose the interval

/hero verbose expinterval [seconds]

This would count up the experience gained since the start of the current interval. This means players can still be updated with their experience gain in a numerical way, without having it spam their chat ridiculously. Also, i'm sure most people struggle adding up a couple hundred "+0.1"s. Larger numbers are more friendly.

Show profession experience details in the /stats command

Class information is shown, but profession information is not.

Last edited:

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Prior Note
This idea is designed to improve the experience for players, yet if implemented wouldn't at all force players to change the way they do things. If you really like the idea of part of this suggestion, but wouldn't use other parts, please still mention your interest, you won't be forced to use it all.

Introduction
I know many people have resorted to turning off experience points being displayed in their chat, simply because of the verbosity of the messages it gives you when doing simple day to day playing. Of course, to deal with this, there is the "/hero verbose exp" command. Many people also want to get an idea of how they are going (progress wise) with their class or profession. For this, there is the "/lvl toggle" command to switch which one the experience bar shows.

The system may have some ways to help players assess their exp. progress, but really it could be better.

"I want to see the experience i get for killing mobs, but not all my mining!"
"I wish i didn't have to manually switch my experience bar, and it would just show what i'm doing"
"I want chat to display the experience i get, but does it have to be so dang verbosive?"

The suggestions

Allow for the hiding of just one of the experiences (only hide profession exp,or only hide class exp)

/hero verbose exp class
/hero verbose exp profession

Of course the current "/hero verbose exp" command would toggle both still
Would probably end up being used most to hide profession experience, but display class experience.

Implement an option to automatically change what your experience bar shows, according to the last experience source

/lvl autotoggle

Using the existing "/lvl toggle" command would toggle the display still, regardless of whether autotoggle is on or off.

This allows players to get a good idea of how their going in both profession and class. For example, if a player kills a mob, then goes "oh i wonder how close to levelling up i am", they don't have to switch manually.

Note: This should only swap for experience generated by the player. If they are in a party and it worked off all sources of experience, it would end up swapping madly!

Allow for experience updates at set intervals

Either have a single interval which everyone can use (say, 1 minute), or allow the player to choose the interval

/hero verbose expinterval [seconds]

This would count up the experience gained since the start of the current interval. This means players can still be updated with their experience gain in a numerical way, without having it spam their chat ridiculously. Also, i'm sure most people struggle adding up a couple hundred "+0.1"s. Larger numbers are more friendly.

Show profession experience details in the /stats command

Class information is shown, but profession information is not.
I think this is a good idea - but would require a bit of a rework in Heroes - most major feature sets are on "hold" atm while we clean up code and work on other things, indirectly related to Heroes.

@Sleaker - how long do you think a system like this (Auto changing /lvl toggle based on exp) would take?

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
Well I made my [less organized] post about a similar idea. I'd like to add an idea I had in my post, which is showing EXP messages for ores and such while mining, but not mundane blocks such as stone, dirt, and gravel.