• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Skill Trees

RagingDragon5

Portal
I would like to see HC have skill trees for classes, to add even more variety between the same class. Each skill tree will have different active/passive skills that would change their play style. I would like to see 2-3 skill trees for every class eventually.

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
So kinda like boarderlands skill tree?

Would you be able to have all of the skills at the end?

I just see this being kinda complicated and near impossible to balance.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
So kinda like boarderlands skill tree?

Would you be able to have all of the skills at the end?

I just see this being kinda complicated and near impossible to balance.
not just borderlands, about every other class based RPG has talent trees.

Tyronus

Legacy Supporter 4
I would like to see HC have skill trees for classes, to add even more variety between the same class. Each skill tree will have different active/passive skills that would change their play style. I would like to see 2-3 skill trees for every class eventually.
Soooo exactly like ESO?

Tyronus

Legacy Supporter 4
the nda is gone soooo.... ESO has an attribute system like HC. ESO has races which Kainzo wants to implement. And then skill trees which ESO has an abundance of!

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
the nda is gone soooo.... ESO has an attribute system like HC. ESO has races which Kainzo wants to implement. And then skill trees which ESO has an abundance of!
Like any of that is original...this is common in many rpgs.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Right I may have arrived to this party a bit late but there is already... Well was already a plugin being developed that offered a skill tree. It consisted of having a shit ton of skills that boiled down into one of three categories (I think they were utility, magic and physical). The best thing about this tree was that there were not set trees for specific classes, rather a set tree server wide... Now here's the best bit, there were no 'classes' but races instead which had different base values such as a Mage with a high magic ability or warrior with attack damage (you get the point). Now, after all that information the user of the skill tree earned 'points' in which it could allocate into a skill that may of been on the branch that player is progressing in.

For example, the player has went though the magic ability path so from fireball, the player now has a chance to branch off to another magic spell such as ice bolt (just an example, please keep this in mind). This gives the user of this skill tree the ability to build a class suited for them based around their play style as well as choices. Now before someone says 'That can easily be too OP'. What would you define as OP? As long as the specific skills aren't over powered and balanced there shouldn't be balancing issues. Sure you'll have players complaining about how someone is overpowered but the skills the self aren't over or underpowered, rather the combination of skills that someone has made to make them 'OP' or 'Underpowered'

I'd happily find the skill tree plugin I am talking about but the problem is that project has been abandoned a long lo time ago plus finding that link to the page will be a b**ch (Knew I should of saved it eh).

Summary (for the lazy people);

+ There was a plugin being developed that was a hero skill tree
+ There were no specific skill trees, just one server wide one that had a boat load of skills in
+ To get shuttle differences rather than 'classes' there were a choice of 'races' you could pick (eg human, Mage ect)
+ You could choose a certain path to go down skill-wise to create a class personally suited to your play style and needs
+Gained points per level to unlock a skill or branch within the tree
+ Most balanced plugin created IMO
+ Makes players create creative combos of skills
+ As long as specific skills are balanced, balancing wouldn't be an issue at all

Thanks for taking your time to read (Yes even the summary). I'd happily answer any questions relating it and I'll try and find the link to the original plugin. Regards, Beau.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
You're missing the whole point dragon, a point of a class is to have a specific set of skills or advantages and disadvantages. That's what a race is surely minus the specific skills limited to them? One race may have a balanced overall base stat like human for example where a race called a 'Mage' or something down those lines will have an increased mana or magic ability with a lower overall HP? You can't expect the devs to create x amount of skill tress for each class...

1.) Too time consuming for them to even consider it
2.) Balancing will be a bitch this route
3.) You're kinda forcing players down a route and limiting their options if there is a set tree per class

RagingDragon5

Portal
You're missing the whole point dragon, a point of a class is to have a specific set of skills or advantages and disadvantages. That's what a race is surely minus the specific skills limited to them? One race may have a balanced overall base stat like human for example where a race called a 'Mage' or something down those lines will have an increased mana or magic ability with a lower overall HP? You can't expect the devs to create x amount of skill tress for each class...

1.) Too time consuming for them to even consider it
2.) Balancing will be a bitch this route
3.) You're kinda forcing players down a route and limiting their options if there is a set tree per class

Couple things I feel.
  1. A point of a class is not to have a specific skill set. I see it as being trained in something. Just because you are trained in something doesn't mean you will have the same abilities as others being trained in it or the abilities your trainer has.
  2. Races would be something that gives off different stats like you said. I never heard of a mage race though. Popular races are Elves, Humans, Dwarves.
  3. It may be time consuming, but to make something the best a lot of time is needed.
  4. Balancing would be the main issue, but not impossible it will take time
  5. It's not forcing players to do anything. In fact it is giving them more options to what there is now. What we have now is limited. I don't really understand that third point of yours. I might be misunderstand it.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Fair enough everyone has their opinion! I'll go though each point;

1.) Well I see a class as a person who has a set job, this may be as a healer or tank as an example. But this is the part I don't like about it, why should I have to pick between being a tank or a healer? Why can't I be for example a class that is 66% tank and 33% healer. Because of this, a server wide skill tree would be a great solution. (On another note, because it's server wide. People can't complain about having to be a certain class to obtain a certain skill tree. This little note should cover part of point 5)
2.) It was only an example, I know little about actual terms for class's like that :p
3.) You may see this as a solution to the best way about it but adding new skills and that would be a lot harder compared to a single main tree. A problem that may come up in separate tress could be not being sure what class's skill tree to add it too and other problems like that (balancing issues eh)
4.) right this is the part I'm trying to get across, there WONT be balancing issues as long as the SPECIFIC skill is balanced! an example of this would be a fireball. It's damage would be 100 with a cool down of 7 seconds. This is a balanced skill, but when combined with another skill (I don't know, a skill that increases magic damage for x amount of time) it will be more powerful. Because of this, players will structure their skill choices a lot more carefully
5.) Yes sure you're giving players more options within classes currently but why not give players access to all skills down certain paths meaning options and combos are unlimited. Also see point 1.) in the note at the end!

Hope this covers everything

RagingDragon5

Portal
Fair enough everyone has their opinion! I'll go though each point;

1.) Well I see a class as a person who has a set job, this may be as a healer or tank as an example. But this is the part I don't like about it, why should I have to pick between being a tank or a healer? Why can't I be for example a class that is 66% tank and 33% healer. Because of this, a server wide skill tree would be a great solution. (On another note, because it's server wide. People can't complain about having to be a certain class to obtain a certain skill tree. This little note should cover part of point 5)
2.) It was only an example, I know little about actual terms for class's like that :p
3.) You may see this as a solution to the best way about it but adding new skills and that would be a lot harder compared to a single main tree. A problem that may come up in separate tress could be not being sure what class's skill tree to add it too and other problems like that (balancing issues eh)
4.) right this is the part I'm trying to get across, there WONT be balancing issues as long as the SPECIFIC skill is balanced! an example of this would be a fireball. It's damage would be 100 with a cool down of 7 seconds. This is a balanced skill, but when combined with another skill (I don't know, a skill that increases magic damage for x amount of time) it will be more powerful. Because of this, players will structure their skill choices a lot more carefully
5.) Yes sure you're giving players more options within classes currently but why not give players access to all skills down certain paths meaning options and combos are unlimited. Also see point 1.) in the note at the end!

Hope this covers everything

Hmm. I like the idea of a World Skill tree. However, I still don't want to see classes go away. I would like for classes to have some role.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Dragon, I think were on the same page here but reading in different languages :') by class's do you mean something that you choose for a reason such as Benefits specific to that class? If so that's what I mean by the term 'races'!

RagingDragon5

Portal
Dragon, I think were on the same page here but reading in different languages :') by class's do you mean something that you choose for a reason such as Benefits specific to that class? If so that's what I mean by the term 'races'!

Well I want races and classes. I just want everything.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Oh okay, I understand where your coming from now but a server wide skill tree will make millions of 'classes' . Which is basically different combos of skills within the skill tree