• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Secure Trading System

toadsworth29

Legacy Supporter 3
Perhaps a way of safely trading with a player, without the risk of being scammed, could be added? Maybe a block that each players put items and/or money in and it gets traded between players.

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
I found an interesting way to trade securely, with a few ideas of my own.

1. Build a room/building that is split in two by a glass wall.
2. Build two 1x3 canals under the glass wall, water flowing from side A to side B, and side B to side A.
3. The person merely needs to throw the items into the canal, where they will float over to the other side.
4. There is ONE entrance to EACH side of this room/building with an iron door and an internal switch (on/off, not a button), to keep other people from interfering with a trade.

Example:

Person A wants to buy cobblestone from person B. Both step into the "trading room" via doors 1 and 2. When inside, both lock the doors so no one else can enter. Person A uses the money command to pay person B, where person B then throws the cobblestone into the canal, where it floats over to person A. Afterward, both unlock the doors and leave.

I suppose this method could also be used as an alternative to a public chest, especially in a shop or bank situation. The iron door and "locking yourself in" is a key importance. I figure all banks should take this into account when designing banks so others do not come up and pop the chest mid-trade.

sevanaka

Air
This may work to prevent the trade from being interrupted, but unfortunately it doesn't prevent scamming.

A quick-and-dirty solution would be to find a neutral party to hold goods for trade, but finding a neutral player in a pinch (and a kill-or-be-killed world) may be difficult.

In a similar vein to the locked room idea Nuin suggested - you might be interested in devising a mechanical means of ensuring items go through (for both parties). In Nuin's example, placing items in a canal means the act must be performed simultaneously, or else one person has the chance to back out of the deal while the other person's trade goods have already floated away from him or her (and into the first person's hands).

You might want to add an add a locked door controlled by the traders on both sides - making it such that in order to claim traded goods, you would have to open the door for the person you're trading with.

Foregoing all of that, as you suggested, a script/mod might be added to the server allowing fair transactions to be set up (and the server itself acting as a neutral party).