• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Request: Remove non-targeted damage spells/spash effect through blocks

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
This one goes out specifically to @Kainzo, but is of course open to everyone's input. This is a topic that has been raised in the past before my time on Herocraft, but one that I feel strongly about with regard to the gameplay mechanics of the Herocraft server.

I would like to suggest the conversion of all non-targeted damage dealing spells to require them to have a target in order to be cast. Concurrently and/or alternatively relative to the spell, I would like to suggest that all AOE spells are stopped by an intervening block (e.g. a wall, tree, etc.). By doing either and/or both, it would aid in the removal of the ability to grief/harass opponent heroes inappropriately, remove the unnecessary killing of animals through walls, and allow protected regions to actually serve their function: protection. In short, it promotes fair gameplay, and reduces malicious intent of this currently-allowed set of game mechanics.

Such spells would include but are not limited to:

Barbarian: Whirlwind*
Dreadknight: Decay* and DreadAura*
Bard: MelodicBinding* and Voidsong*
Dragoon: Tremor*
Pyromancer: DragonsBreath*, Darkbolt*, GreatCombustion*, and Doomwave*
Necromancer: BoneSpear** and Despair
Beguiler: PlagueBomb and Pulse
Wizard: Pulse, Fireblast*, and Blizzard*
Cleric: Smite***
Disciple: IronFist*

*I am unsure if this spell provides AOE damage through blocks or if it stops when it comes into contact with an intervening block.
** This spell stops once it comes into contact with an intervening block.
*** Only if AOE damage could be done to a hero (e.g. when a Necromancer is in undead form from BecomeDeath); if the spell works only toward PVE, then this spell would not be included on the list.

This list does not include spells that provide non-targeted AOE heals or non-targetd AOE roots. Instead, it focuses specifically on damage dealing spells.

Food for thought:

1. Adding Value to Protected Spaces and Personal Regions

My primary argument is that by removing AOE that goes through walls, it actually rewards the hard working individual (see: John Locke's labor theory for a more detailed description) by providing added (or some might say, appropriate) protection to those who have toiled through their efforts in Herocraft (or real life through making money) to create a township and/or contributed enough to gain the personal region contributor perk. At this time, many of the above spells can be cast through the walls of protected regions, dealing damage to all things living within, effectively reducing the "protection" that such spaces provide by up to 6 to 7 blocks from the protected region's perimeter.

Kainzo had mentioned that he might in the future include a 10x10x10 protected region microtransaction in the Herocraft store. I argue, that because of the damaging effects of these AOE spells (having been a former Beguiler, I will use PlagueBomb as an example), a hero who paid actual cash to get their protected region could be relentlessly camped by a single Beguiler, who, if had a moderate amount of intellect (say 30), could inflict over 200 points of damage through the walls of the protected region every 10 to 12 seconds, removing the ability for the camped individual to heal and ultimately killing the person within their own protected region. Such ability is clearly an abuse, especially given the investment of time and energy that a hero may have gone through to acquire "protection." I believe that by requiring spells to have a target, players will lose the ability to spam AOE damage through walls (unless there is a battle outside their protected region, in which it becomes a strategic matter of positioning over a malicious attack on the members inside the protected space) and the value of those who efforted to gain such protection would be enhanced. Alternatively, by making it so AOE spells "die" when they hit a block (akin to what BoneSpear does, which has a 20 block linear fire but stops when it hits a block), protected areas will gain back their value.

In the absence of removing the effect of AOE damage on protected spaces, the 10x10x10 personal region microtransaction is basically worthless with regard to personal protection.

Even hiding such a region high in the sky or deep in the ground can be found out at the cost of about 5 souls through a Ranger's tracking ability, which creates a great desparity in finding and camping a protected region versus the cost to actually acquire and create that same protected space.

From a personal standpoint, I can name at least two Herocraft members who have intentionally used the Beguiler plaguebomb to deal AOE damage within a protected region, successfully killing a member within that area (who was afk for dinner), as well as all of the livestock that our farmer had bred. This brings us to point 2.

2. Malicious Killing of Livestock.

The killing of livestock can be an effective means for raiders to reduce the productivity of a rival township. However, there should be limitations put on how heros can kill livestock owned and bred by other members. A post from the past that lamented the unnecessary killing of livestock is at the following link:

http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/please-tell-me-this-is-griefing.25340/

After talking to an admin, the trouble comes in the inability to (or choice not to) monitor livestock deaths. Because of this, it is impossible to establish a griefing rule, let alone have the ability to enforce it. I would like to suggest that by requiring AOE damage to have a target, it would allow a reduction of livestock deaths due to heros who intentionally stand outside the walls of a protected region and spam their AOE spells. I see this AOE spamming method as a legal yet cowardly method of livestock destruction, as these heroes couldn't come up with the competent means to raid and gain entry to a protected region and instead had to resort to AOE spamming to acheive their chaotic mens rea.

Requiring a target may not be sufficient alone, however. It is simple for two heroes working to collude with each other and allow the AOE-equipped hero to target their co-conspirator near a protected space, thus achieving the ability to push AOE damage through the walled barrier. For this reason, the removal of AOE damage through blocks would be more appropriate for the preservation of lives within protected spaces.

3. Trending Away from Through-wall AOE
I come from the MMORPG Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) which has been around long enough that Notch did not yet even have the concept of Mincraft. DDO's claim to fame was to be the first major MMO to become "free to play" and create the microtransaction store. One of its greatest complaints (and abuses) early on was the ability for its casters to spam AOE damage through closed doors, which effectively gave their party an unfair advantage against large groups of trash mobs as well as boss mobs, gaining their XP and treasure for relatively low effort or risk of harm. In Herocraft terms, we would liken this technique to the use of "mob farms," which as everyone knows is expressly not allowed. After a wave of protest due to its exploitive nature, DDO promptly removed the ability to spam through walls and doors five years ago, and because of it, the game is a better for it.

Herocraft still allows this form of AOE damage dealing, which, as mentioned in the above argument, is an exploitive abuse of game mechanics that provides unfair results to the hard-working and legitimate Herocraft player. I understand that Herocraft has an alignment-based methodology to it, allowing "evil" towns just as they do "good"; yet what needs to be emphasized even more is the playing field leveling concept of "fairness." If a hero or a town wants to be evil, that's no concern of mine; what is a concern is when they are abusing a exploitive method to cause unfair destruction of other heroes' efforts.

Minecraft is a sandbox game. Herocraft is an extention of that, allowing a rich role playing environment within the context of a sandbox world. The specific method of AOE damage dealing detailed above inhibits the ability of the heroes of Herocraft to fully realize their creative endeavors. I respectfully request that the game of Herocraft be modified to remove this form of damage dealing as described in the introduction, and allow for a greater level of production (especially for those who are lone wolves, or have lower support bases compared to a township or kingdom) through removing an exploitive means of destruction for early-game resource building. By requiring AOE damage to have a target and by making AOE damage stop once it hits a block or barrier, the game of Herocraft will be slightly safer for those who are new to the server, thus reducing the frustration and attrition of new members; will encourage legitimate methods of enemy resource destruction through raiding and not through AOE spamming; will provide new and innovative tactical considerations with regard to battle locations, perhaps empowering a "home field advantage"; and will allow the microtransation market for personal regions within the Herocraft store to have value without fear of being PlagueBombed to death when "protected" within a heroes' own personal region.

Thank you, Kainzo, for your consideration,

-yavool

Trist95

Legacy Supporter 7
Fireblast was intended to be AOE but delf made it so it is not AOE or Targeted you have to try to aim near your target to even hit one this skill is not intended for anything put pvp

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Unfortunately its a coding limitation at the moment. Too many checks would have to be done to fix damage through blocks. We don't want to confirm line of sight every time a skill is used.

While its not something we want happening, its currently legal and I highly suggest doubling up walls or staying away from entrances.

FuturizeHandgun

Glowstone
Reasons for Fireblast for not being AoE, is from the getTargetBlock function, which essentially is used as the max distance for you to use that specified skill, preventing it from being used past blocks, as u cant point it at a wall, or else the flame will only reach the distance between you and the block. Life kainzo said, Its gonna cause too much stress on the server, as it has to check for disruption between the line of sight, for every target that the radius pickup.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
Unfortunately its a coding limitation at the moment. Too many checks would have to be done to fix damage through blocks. We don't want to confirm line of sight every time a skill is used.

While its not something we want happening, its currently legal and I highly suggest doubling up walls or staying away from entrances.

A four or five block thick wall still won't mitigate the AOE damage of PlagueBomb. This is especially harrowing on any individual that has a personal region, as it makes about 12 blocks worth (6 per side) of a 26 x 32 x 26 maximum space (21,632 blocks) vulnerable to PlagueBomb, effectively making the "safe" space a 20 x 26 x 20 area (10,400 blocks) which is a reduction of nearly 50% within a "protected" area.

That is much too much power for one class to have over something that is prized as a contributor perk, and especially troublesome if Kainzo is still considering allowing "10 x 10 x 10 personal regions for sale in the store" as he mentioned in game... it would be terrible for those who engaged in that microtransaction; there is absolutely no safety in that space for that person who paid cash for block protection.