• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Remove the Skirmish Map, Darkshaft

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
I've talked with STDs a lot about his Skirmish map creations, and how I feel as though he tries to make the player "fight the map" too much. After talking with him about his last map, I convinced him to make several changes to alleviate some of that issue. I think his other map is in a good place now, and I think it's now one of the better maps in the pool.

However, Darkshaft is the worst Skirmish map I've ever seen and I do not think you can salvage it in any way shape or form. I think it should be removed...immediately.

Most of us can agree that we queue skirmish to fight players, not the environment we are placed in. Darkshaft is a map where you are fighting nothing but the map itself. Hell, half the time I don't even feel like I'm fighting anything at all. Even after the zombie pigmen stopped spawning, and after half the lava was turned to obsidian, it's still an atrocious map that brings nothing to the table other than annoyance and aggravation.

Am I simply delusional, or does everyone else agree?

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Ok first thing to go is every single water gate, with the possible exception of one on the right side and one on the left side. They are way too easy to use arrows on (try it, ninja's and sammy's, you can keep an enemy in the water easily enough for 4-5 shots) and they hurt casters in an already small round cage-ish arena.

TL:DR, get rid of the weird water gates before you remove the entire map.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
So uh........ which map was this? If it's the floating island then i'm all for removing it. if not, then i'm not sure which map you're referring to.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
So uh........ which map was this? If it's the floating island then i'm all for removing it. if not, then i'm not sure which map you're referring to.

Aren't there at least two floating islands?

And I think he means the underground one with the watergates... but I'm not sure.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff

It's the one in a cave with each player spawning on a wooden platform. The platform is surrounded by fences, and every 5 blocks is a fucking gate of water.

Ok first thing to go is every single water gate, with the possible exception of one on the right side and one on the left side. They are way too easy to use arrows on (try it, ninja's and sammy's, you can keep an enemy in the water easily enough for 4-5 shots) and they hurt casters in an already small round cage-ish arena.

TL:DR, get rid of the weird water gates before you remove the entire map.

There are more problems than just the water gates.

1. The entire area is too narrow. Fighting in narrow spaces 100% of the time is not fun and gives too many advantages to certain classes.
2. The map is incredibly blotchy and thrown together.
* There are random holes in the fences.
* There's a separate level below the main floor that seems to only exist so there so the player doesn't fall into the void.
* It's difficult to get back up to the main level after being tossed to the bottom.
* There are random splotches of lava and obsidian everywhere.
* There is a void behind the nether portals
* The water gates are unnecessary and pretty much retarded.
* One of the water gates is broken.
* There are holes in some areas of the floor to prevent the water from spreading. This creates random pits for the player to fall into.
* Where there aren't holes in the floor, there are pressure plates next to the water. These pressure plates are actually really annoying to listen to and feel really derpy when fighting.
3. The map doesn't look good.
4. It just isn't fun to play on. It's irritating.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
Oh, that one. My only gripe is the rediculous river than runs through it; it's a pain in the ass and you're quite easily stuck in it once you're thrown in

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Oh, that one. My only gripe is the rediculous river than runs through it; it's a pain in the ass and you're quite easily stuck in it once you're thrown in
You're thinking of the other one. This is the mineshaft one that you spawn on a wooden platform and below you is a pit with a thin surrounding layer of lava.

Related: I do agree with removing this map. I could see it as just the pit itself without the wooden platform.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
You're thinking of the other one. This is the mineshaft one that you spawn on a wooden platform and below you is a pit with a thin surrounding layer of lava.

Related: I do agree with removing this map. I could see it as just the pit itself without the wooden platform.
I agree. People try too hard to make elaborate maps. Just give us an open area with 1 or 2 obstacles and I'll be happy.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
I think that the arena with the tunnels/houses up top is well done! It's similar to a condensed world environment. The tunnels are good for both cc AND breaking cc to pummel faces.

I think the map with the tunnels/houses allows you the greatest potential variety based on which classes you are facing. Dragoon? Go tunnel. Casters? Near the river. Rogue/melee specs? Stay on one of the hills.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
To be honest, I listened to complaints and changed things accordingly on the 1st map I made. I sent the schematic for this map out and when it was put in game there were a lot of changes (the biggest/most annoying being the water gates). Not only is it so hard to navigate through them, but if you warm-up a skill and then go through the water, the warm-up stops. I noticed this a lot as a Cleric when all of my heals take at least 2.5 seconds to warm-up. I agree with Dsawemd when he said to remove these water gates first and THEN decide if the map is unplayable.

Which reminds me... http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/threads/another-new-arena-a-maze-ing.29570/
cough cough cough add this in cough cough cough.