• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Remove Firearrow?

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
I am suggesting that we remove the skill Firearrow from Rangers.

Here are my reasons:

o When a target (either a mob or a player) is on fire, they do not get hit by arrows when taking fire tick damage (while not taking tick damage but on fire, arrows DO hit). The arrows do zero damage and bounce off of them, and upon hitting something on the rebound, they apply any SkillArrow (poison/ice/fire) to the rebounded target. This can lead to Rangers poisoning, slowing, or burning themselves. As far as I am aware, this is a problem that our (amazing) coders cannot fix, because it is in minecraft itself.

o If the above ("FireArrow negates most all arrow damage and creates the potential for self-inflicted damage/slows") is correct, then good Rangers cannot use the skill FireArrow. EDIT: I understand that the armor-ignoring fire ticks have their place in any skillset, but the tradeoff is almost always too much for us.

o There is a possibility that Rangers may need a new skill to allow them to be competitive. However, in order to begin that process, and that separate discussion, we need to remove Firearrow, until fire no longer makes the target immune to arrows ~50% of the time spent alight.

Here's the kicker: Poison Arrow tick damage makes our arrows bounce off too, but since it ticks slower it is much less noticeable, and therefore also much less of an issue. Needs confirmation.

I do not think that any Ranger who understood the situation would complain about losing the skill FireArrow even though it may leave a gap in our skills. The understanding that another skill, even something fun and not damaging could potentially be implemented in the future at that level bracket, is enough to replace this skill.

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
You are correct as far as I know, from what I've heard minecraft doesn't allow a person to take damage from a arrow at the same time as any other form of damage

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
You are correct as far as I know, from what I've heard minecraft doesn't allow a person to take damage from a arrow at the same time as any other form of damage

And I enjoy the complexity that brings to the game ie. a class with fast fire DoTs like pyro isnt as good of a partner for a ranger as say, a disciple might be. But in this scenario, its Firearrow who is my partner, and it screws me over each time I use it :(

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
It takes a lot of concentration, but with mobs I've managed to learn to make most of my shots hit while the target is on fire. It's useful for crowd control and fleeing/hiding targets. Fire damage normally ignores armor in vanilla, not sure about Heroes, but if so, that adds a great perk as well.

On the other hand, it can screw you over pretty badly in a fight, which is why I rarely use it. That and the fact you can't turn it off quickly. Other than the visuals, it functions the same as poison arrow. I would prefer if it only shot one flaming arrow in exchange for a very low cd/stam cost. I also wouldn't mind trading it in though, and am willing to code up a replacement. I have ideas for nearly 10 archery skills that haven't been done.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Hitting in PvE IS just a matter of timing. But Ranger pvp, I would argue, is not in a place where it should require us to time when our arrows HIT from arrow/fireball range. The determining factor is when they hit, not when they are fired from the bow, so that requires some good calculations for range if you want to land 75% of your arrows on burning targets.[DOUBLEPOST=1357178935,1356165972][/DOUBLEPOST]Bump because our arrows still bounce off flamed targets. WHY is this not removed?[DOUBLEPOST=1357178973]

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
How about some potential replacements? When I get time I'll code it up:
  • Piercing Shot - High velocity, high damage arrow (175?), ignores armor, long CD
  • Rapid fire - Instaneous low damage (50?) shots, fire as fast as you can click, limited time
  • Scatter shot - multiple arrows fired at once with a spread
  • ArrowStorm - non-pickupable arrows rain from the sky near a targeted area over time
  • Bottomless Quiver - same function as infinity enchantment, limited time
  • Debilitating Shot - The next bow shot fires a slowness-blinding splash potion
  • Flashbang - Splashes a slowness-blinding potion
  • Armor Piercing (AP) Arrows - Another ammo power, each arrow does 75 damage but ignores armor, uses mana per arrow