• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Poison DoTs and AoE bugs

ADaringEnchilada

Legacy Supporter 4
I have sufficient evidence that most (if not all) AoE and DoT poison skills do not work, and require fixing. Being broken harms classes like the Geomancer, very much so as their Chain lightning skill is one of their most powerful spells, but not only does it not spread from player to player, but it doesn't even do damage. Similar to smite, harm touch, bolt, and other similar skills, it has a low chance of actually hitting the target.

@Kainzo @Sleaker

MasterLink742

Legacy Supporter 7
I suggest you watch in full screen at 1080p.

But yes, many of my skills are broken. As a geomancer, I rely on a little bit more than fireball, blaze and DeepFreeze.
Though not shown, DeepFreeze + fire break does not seem to be working in the sense that it does not add extra damage to the attack, and reflect is not reflecting any damage.
Of my 9 combat skills 4 do not work, as well as one technically not working.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Be as descriptive as possible please "does not work" - doesn't tell us enough information. Sleaker and I will look into it.

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
Decay, when casted on another player, is supposed to do dmg over time, but every time I cast it on somebody there are only 2 ticks of dmg, 1 tick of dmg, or no damage at all.

Drainsoul does not seem to always damage other players. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Curse, when cast, causes the victim to "miss" attacks. The last time I tested this I got messages saying that the target missed, but I still took damage.

MasterLink742

Legacy Supporter 7
ChainLightning - Fails to do damage and does not chain to other people. The fire left by the lightning doesn't seem to do damage either.

Pulse - Doesn't deal damage to players at all on occasion. On some occasions, hits only one person with the radius.

IcyAura - Doesn't harm players at all a majority of the time. If it does, it harms one player in the radius for one tick, as opposed to (I think) 5.

Reflect - I take damage, the attacker does not. Currently a waste of 50% mana.

DeepFreeze - The root works, but when broken by fire, there doesn't seem to be any extra damage.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
Not sure what's going on with damage here, except that there's absolutely no commonality between the different skills doing or not doing damage. - I can say that it is working on the test server though, but that doesn't help much (ChainLightning has had some known issues about bouncing though)

ADaringEnchilada

Legacy Supporter 4
I can see the commonality in that they are all poisons, and if they are coded based off of a common poison, then the poisoning is broken. Going back to the 1.8 release, everyone found that cave spiders poisoned in singleplayer, but in SMP the player would simply have their hearts turned diseased yellow, and nothing more.

Similarly, no AoEs work and they have a big factor in common; they're AoEs. In general, AoEs spells work on Mobs but not players. Why? The only cause I can guess is that players are given unique IDs that Mobs are not, and that the AoE only hits one kind of ID at a time. But if this is so (which it seemed to be with cleave) then only zombies in a group of mixed mobs may be hurt from pulse, whereas another test will show only skeletons in the same mixed group. This I know from experience (cleave withstanding) is not true, as I've seen Icy Aura hit mobs indiscriminately same as with pulse.

Also, I was being about as descriptive as possible, the skills constantly miss, poisons don't do poison damage, and AoEs don't do damage to multiple players. There is nothing more I can say based on those (which are the only) observations I can make.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
Pulse, ChainLightning, Curse aren't DoTs. - also - The DoTs have never been broken on my test server, so it's unlikely that there is actually an issue with the skills, probably something more obscure going on which makes it even more fun to track down.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with some of the checks put in by DT to block wolves from doing multi-damage and stuff.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Pulse, ChainLightning, Curse aren't DoTs. - also - The DoTs have never been broken on my test server, so it's unlikely that there is actually an issue with the skills, probably something more obscure going on which makes it even more fun to track down.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with some of the checks put in by DT to block wolves from doing multi-damage and stuff.
I think that's it. Also theres a 10% miss chance on any "hero" damage event.

IE portal block not one shotting anyone when being wielded by a ZO class.

I can see the commonality in that they are all poisons, and if they are coded based off of a common poison, then the poisoning is broken. Going back to the 1.8 release, everyone found that cave spiders poisoned in singleplayer, but in SMP the player would simply have their hearts turned diseased yellow, and nothing more.

Similarly, no AoEs work and they have a big factor in common; they're AoEs. In general, AoEs spells work on Mobs but not players. Why? The only cause I can guess is that players are given unique IDs that Mobs are not, and that the AoE only hits one kind of ID at a time. But if this is so (which it seemed to be with cleave) then only zombies in a group of mixed mobs may be hurt from pulse, whereas another test will show only skeletons in the same mixed group. This I know from experience (cleave withstanding) is not true, as I've seen Icy Aura hit mobs indiscriminately same as with pulse.

Also, I was being about as descriptive as possible, the skills constantly miss, poisons don't do poison damage, and AoEs don't do damage to multiple players. There is nothing more I can say based on those (which are the only) observations I can make.
And no - "doesnt work" isnt being descriptive - when they currently DO work on the tests i've done in the last few days. They may not work SOME of the time - in either case "Doesnt work" isnt "not doing any damage to multiple players most of the time on XYZ ability"

If it's not doing damage for most AE abilities - the end result is LAG - the player you're trying to "pulse" is too far away - ie, you may see him 10 blocks away but he could easily be 15-20 blocks.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
Also none of the lightning effect fire blocks deal damage, they are 100% visual. It's not a bug that you can walk into a bolt's leftover burning block and not take extra damage.

ADaringEnchilada

Legacy Supporter 4
I can guarantee you this isn't lag related, look at this later video, it disclaims any notion that the player is out of range due to lag. Furthermore, the 10% chance is not exactly 10%, where link used pulse 5 times, only once was anyone actually damaged, meaning it has more of an 80% chance to fail (which almost defeats the point in using a powerful spell like blaze or harmtouch which will inevitably eat your mana and leave you with no defense.)

You'll also notice reflect is doing nothing, it reflected 0 of 24 inflicted damage and also took 50% of link's mana, putting him out of another skill to use.

Because I'm not privy to the raw coding, it is up to your programming staff to test on the normal server (as the test server alters the conditions in which the skills are being used, and I'm pointing out that they are broken on a 1.8 server with all plugins enabled, not a newer release server with fewer plugins enabled and less lag from players) and to find the underlying problem and solve it. I cannot say anymore than Pulse hurts (if it does hurt in the first place) no more than one player, reflect fails to reflect damage, icy aura only slows, and in some cases does not even slow all the players in the area of effect nor does it deal player damage, and that chain-lightning does not bounce OR deal damage to the primary target.

This video, published in 1080p shows without a grain of doubt that lag cannot be the culprit as you said it is.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Unfortunately, we're on a code freeze until we push 2.8 - we won't be able to fine comb these skills and give proper testing until then.

Thanks for reporting