• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion NO.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
sry, troll title a bit.

But Ranger's Track should not consume a compass to use. Seeing as how a compass:

1. Points to the coordinates after Track (oh wait it disappeared)

2. Does not stack at all, limiting Track in a weirdly annoying yet ineffective way (carry just 15 compasses with you and you will be fine for an outing)

I WIN THE TRACK REAGENT CONTEST: Item Frames. One leather is a small cost (smaller than 4 iron AND they stack), and we can pretend they are crude maps.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
Agreed with this. A compass seems a bit too expensive for a track. Maps, yes. Leather, yes. Saplings, eh, not sure how it'll fit into the lore, but yes. A compass is a bit too much in my opinion, especially since they're not stackable and, as Dsawemd mentioned, you're going to use it to point towards the target anyways.

TheSojourner

Legacy Supporter 8
Actually compasses do stack. I tested it. I still agree that it's too much for a reagent.

madpear

Legacy Supporter 5
Compasses aren't SO bad since most folks have plentiful iron to begin with. I still say I'd rather just see fewer arrow-types and more interesting abilities implemented for the Ranger before we bother trying to diminish the Ranger's one saving grace.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Maps require a compass to create. Why would you say maps over a compass? :)

We want tracks to be less common. We want to bolster the need for raw-resources. This is one of many changes coming in to improve the economy (supply/demand)

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Kainzo, I said item frame. The first time the word "Map" was said in this thread was in ur comment <3

The compass points to your target after tracking. Coupling that with making the compass disappear when you track someone makes no sense.

and there wouldnt be such a supply glut if staff didn't rather quickly expand all worlds last Friday.

madpear

Legacy Supporter 5
Ehhh I think people largely have enough iron for their needs so compasses aren't out of line at present. Certainly if Rangers are noticing it being an exorbitant drain on their iron stores, we could contemplate other reagents.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Kainzo, I said item frame. The first time the word "Map" was said in this thread was in ur comment <3

The compass points to your target after tracking. Coupling that with making the compass disappear when you track someone makes no sense.

and there wouldnt be such a supply glut if staff didn't rather quickly expand all worlds last Friday.
I wasnt replying to you...
Agreed with this. A compass seems a bit too expensive for a track. Maps, yes. Leather, yes. Saplings, eh, not sure how it'll fit into the lore, but yes. A compass is a bit too much in my opinion, especially since they're not stackable and, as Dsawemd mentioned, you're going to use it to point towards the target anyways.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Compasses do stack though, don't they?

While I agree that ranger isn't in a good place right now, and having a "nerf" come to one of their abilities when this is the case isn't exactly a pleasant feeling, but I think compasses being used a regent is completely acceptable. As a Ranger, you can simple walk around with as many as you need, and they get consumed as necessary. If you don't want to actually "consume" the compass, you simply follow the direction that it is pointing. I think it works out.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
Maps require a compass to create. Why would you say maps over a compass? :)

We want tracks to be less common. We want to bolster the need for raw-resources. This is one of many changes coming in to improve the economy (supply/demand)
My bad. xD I don't really use a lot of these things myself. I was under the impression that a map was made with six pieces of paper without a compass, which would make sense. I didn't know it used a compass (Which to me, doesn't make sense). I also didn't know that compasses stack.

Personally I've always been a bit iffy of having something cost non-renewables. I understand that iron is quite readily available everywhere, but since it's technically nonrenewable (Unless you get it as a rare drop from a zombie) once it's used up it's gone unless there's another map expansion/map reset in the case of Forgelight/Warshard. Not too worried about redstone due to its immense availability though. xD

From what I'm hearing, Rangers are currently good only for tracking due to lag issues with their arrows and the general unimpressiveness of their skills. Putting a fairly hefty cost onto the skill that many people become a Ranger for in the first place seems to be alienating the class further. That said, I'm a fan of less tracking, I'm just a little iffy on the cost of tracking in the first place.

This isn't going to stop someone with a lot of iron from just tracking as they did prior to the change. I think a cooldown increase will be much more effective if your main goal is to make them less common, rather than to bolster the need for raw resources. Or you could do both, so that even if you have dchests of iron you still need to wait a little longer before you can track.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Why not just carry a workbench (which you should anyway) and carry iron ingots and redstone? Make compasses when you need tracks. Since compasses apparently don't stack. Keep a compass in your hotbar and make an additional compass for the reagent.

It's almost too generous.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
My bad. xD I don't really use a lot of these things myself. I was under the impression that a map was made with six pieces of paper without a compass, which would make sense. I didn't know it used a compass (Which to me, doesn't make sense). I also didn't know that compasses stack.

Personally I've always been a bit iffy of having something cost non-renewables. I understand that iron is quite readily available everywhere, but since it's technically nonrenewable (Unless you get it as a rare drop from a zombie) once it's used up it's gone unless there's another map expansion/NO in the case of Forgelight/Warshard. Not too worried about redstone due to its immense availability though. xD

From what I'm hearing, Rangers are currently good only for tracking due to lag issues with their arrows and the general unimpressiveness of their skills. Putting a fairly hefty cost onto the skill that many people become a Ranger for in the first place seems to be alienating the class further. That said, I'm a fan of less tracking, I'm just a little iffy on the cost of tracking in the first place.

This isn't going to stop someone with a lot of iron from just tracking as they did prior to the change. I think a cooldown increase will be much more effective if your main goal is to make them less common, rather than to bolster the need for raw resources. Or you could do both, so that even if you have dchests of iron you still need to wait a little longer before you can track.
Iron golem farm, I suppose, I don't think it's a huge issue.

TheSojourner

Legacy Supporter 8
Why not just carry a workbench (which you should anyway) and carry iron ingots and redstone? Make compasses when you need tracks. Since compasses apparently don't stack. Keep a compass in your hotbar and make an additional compass for the reagent.

It's almost too generous.
But, compasses DO stack. :)