• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion No deathchests in pvp-off regions

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I brought this up in a post on a similar suggestion thread posted by @Dreamcycler here but I feel my suggestion about death chests is different enough to warrant its own thread.

Right now world PVP only happens in a handful of situations:

• Raider or thief discovered in a town while it's members are online (This is rare, as I've looted a TON of regioned towns so far with little/no threat to my life)
  • town vs town pvp at the castles when they are up for capture
  • You (or them) don't want to share the dungeon you're currently at (very rare)
  • claiming bounties
  • fights at the border of the nopvp regions at the herogates (both high level combat and ganking noobs)

The reason I think deathchests need to be changed is because of that 4th bullet point there - there is simply too much safe pvp. Thanks to the nopvp regions of the herogates all the pvp that happens near them usually ends with the loser running back towards the herogate so they can collect their deathchest under the protection of nopvp and decide for themselves to re-engage or not. There's almost no risk to losing your items in this way so conflicts can get dragged out. It gets worse when mobile classes (or people prepared with speed pots) are thrown into this mix because they can get away enough to end their combat timer and since the fight starts at the nopvp border and moves inside combat can end before anybody even dies.

This style of pvp is just not what Herocraft is about. Aside from staff-led pvp events if the community wants to have regulated and fair pvp it should be enforced by the players and not by the server via safe zones. For example we should encourage towns to build pvp arenas and invite outsiders to compete & enforce rules (like letting the loser get their chest safely) rather than having the server gaurentee their item's safety with regions. This idea is similar to how town theft rules were relaxed to the point of giving town leaders the tools to find out who steals so they can place bounties and encourage public blacklists to form. Why can't we apply this logic to pvp as well?

Additionally if we remove deathchests in safezones it would change world pvp quite a bit. Since the herogate would not be a safe place to die it would encourage world pvp to happen in more places across the map (such as town raids/pvp conflicts - which desperately need a comeback) which is good newer players who don't know what they are doing because the majority of pvp isn't concentrated at where they are exiting spawn at. It would also be easier for the server's community to fight against camping new players - as you could actually chase off the jerk doing it.

Before anyone asks - I'm only talking about nopvp regions here, not all regions such as the castles. I think the distance of the castles to the herogate is a good distance because the losers in fights have enough time to get back before the winner of the fight can capture the castle - but the winners still gain valuable capture time on the bar in the time it takes for them to return. I don't want this to change but I've noticed many people are of the opinion that the castles are too close to the herogate. I think the deathchests in safezones is the root issue and if we got rid people would change their minds about the castles' distance to the gate.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
As an added point, why not allow more useful use of the professions? The issue I hear about death chests is that everyone is too scared to lose items. So why not allow professions to MAKE these items?

Such as:
Runesmith: Allow them to make off hand items that give HP/MP bonuses.
Blacksmith: Allow them to forge special weapons and metal armor.
Alchemist: Is already getting a similar change.
Enchanter: Allow them to make special leather armor and maybe magic based weapons (Hoe/Wand etc)
Merchant: Just a toss out idea, but maybe allow them to make luck items?

This would not replace the dungeon loot, but be an alternative to worrying about gear. If you can make gear, even if it costs some level of value, players will have less to worry about. Not to mention, most if not all professions are way more lackluster than they used to be. Runesmith is near useless because there is a warp to spawn and all the fun happens from a few steps into or out of spawn.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
I brought this up in a post on a similar suggestion thread posted by @Dreamcycler here but I feel my suggestion about death chests is different enough to warrant its own thread.

Right now world PVP only happens in a handful of situations:

• Raider or thief discovered in a town while it's members are online (This is rare, as I've looted a TON of regioned towns so far with little/no threat to my life)
  • town vs town pvp at the castles when they are up for capture
  • You (or them) don't want to share the dungeon you're currently at (very rare)
  • claiming bounties
  • fights at the border of the nopvp regions at the herogates (both high level combat and ganking noobs)

The reason I think deathchests need to be changed is because of that 4th bullet point there - there is simply too much safe pvp. Thanks to the nopvp regions of the herogates all the pvp that happens near them usually ends with the loser running back towards the herogate so they can collect their deathchest under the protection of nopvp and decide for themselves to re-engage or not. There's almost no risk to losing your items in this way so conflicts can get dragged out. It gets worse when mobile classes (or people prepared with speed pots) are thrown into this mix because they can get away enough to end their combat timer and since the fight starts at the nopvp border and moves inside combat can end before anybody even dies.

This style of pvp is just not what Herocraft is about. Aside from staff-led pvp events if the community wants to have regulated and fair pvp it should be enforced by the players and not by the server via safe zones. For example we should encourage towns to build pvp arenas and invite outsiders to compete & enforce rules (like letting the loser get their chest safely) rather than having the server gaurentee their item's safety with regions. This idea is similar to how town theft rules were relaxed to the point of giving town leaders the tools to find out who steals so they can place bounties and encourage public blacklists to form. Why can't we apply this logic to pvp as well?

Additionally if we remove deathchests in safezones it would change world pvp quite a bit. Since the herogate would not be a safe place to die it would encourage world pvp to happen in more places across the map (such as town raids/pvp conflicts - which desperately need a comeback) which is good newer players who don't know what they are doing because the majority of pvp isn't concentrated at where they are exiting spawn at. It would also be easier for the server's community to fight against camping new players - as you could actually chase off the jerk doing it.

Before anyone asks - I'm only talking about nopvp regions here, not all regions such as the castles. I think the distance of the castles to the herogate is a good distance because the losers in fights have enough time to get back before the winner of the fight can capture the castle - but the winners still gain valuable capture time on the bar in the time it takes for them to return. I don't want this to change but I've noticed many people are of the opinion that the castles are too close to the herogate. I think the deathchests in safezones is the root issue and if we got rid people would change their minds about the castles' distance to the gate.
Strongly agree. As victim said, this also makes professions seem kind of lackluster. If people actually keep dying and losing stuff, people will have to start buying more armor, tools, food, maybe even raw mats to make stuff.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
As an added point, why not allow more useful use of the professions? The issue I hear about death chests is that everyone is too scared to lose items. So why not allow professions to MAKE these items?

Such as:
Runesmith: Allow them to make off hand items that give HP/MP bonuses.
Blacksmith: Allow them to forge special weapons and metal armor.
Alchemist: Is already getting a similar change.
Enchanter: Allow them to make special leather armor and maybe magic based weapons (Hoe/Wand etc)
Merchant: Just a toss out idea, but maybe allow them to make luck items?

This would not replace the dungeon loot, but be an alternative to worrying about gear. If you can make gear, even if it costs some level of value, players will have less to worry about. Not to mention, most if not all professions are way more lackluster than they used to be. Runesmith is near useless because there is a warp to spawn and all the fun happens from a few steps into or out of spawn.
@Irishman81 @victim130

Touch of topic but:
We could definitely play with these ideas.
We could introduce some reagent that you have to get from dungeons, and give crafting recipes for basic special gear to various professions.
We still want the best stuff to come from grinding out high tier bosses, but more entry level gear, I could see coming in as crafting. I think it would really help give Professions some love, as they've always been in Combat's Shadow.

Gimme some numbers in our Custom Potion thread and I'll work on some configs.

On Topic: Yes.
We could toss around the idea of requiring an actual chest in your inventory for death chests again, but I feel like that was cut for the same reason most reagents were.

Colonel Rick

Legacy Supporter 7
@Irishman81 @victim130

Touch of topic but:
We could definitely play with these ideas.
We could introduce some reagent that you have to get from dungeons, and give crafting recipes for basic special gear to various professions.
We still want the best stuff to come from grinding out high tier bosses, but more entry level gear, I could see coming in as crafting. I think it would really help give Professions some love, as they've always been in Combat's Shadow.

Gimme some numbers in our Custom Potion thread and I'll work on some configs.

Another idea in that same vein we could toss out, making a useful black market for Merchants. Like /shop but with daily deals on named items.

Last edited: