• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Mod's for dummies?

I have never installed a mod before, and I was hoping someone could help me out. I would like to learn the ways of the redstone, so I was thinking a map editor to give me a level surface of stone at layer 6, an inventory editor to give me all the redstone I need, and something to help me fly around for easier construction. Could someone give me suggestions as to which mods I should download, and of course, how to disable them before logging on to Herocraft?
Memo to self: do not make the Fly command "F"

PC, Windows 7, looking for Single Player mods for flying/worldEditing/itemGiving, and how to not get banned from Herocraft "by accident". :)

NeoGriim

Legacy Supporter 3
Easy stuff. :)

First off, you want to save all your minecraft data that you use for the server, just cut and paste it somewhere else so you can switch back and forth from single player to multiplayer.

Next, you want to find all the addons you want. They're all over the minecraft forums along with planetminecraft.com(net?) I just google them myself, some google terms that may be useful are "Minecraft World edit" "Minecraft too many items" and I don't have one that makes you fly however I'm sure they're out there. Caution when using any mod that adds items, only painterly texture packs are really compatible with those and I'm talking about only the really well know item add ins (Mo monsters, millinaire, ect). You'll also probably need modloader which is another plugin easily found via google.

So, you have your original minecraft data stored, you'll lose all your multiplayer stats, including achievements, for single player mode unless you dig through all the files and only transfer the ones you want, which is just a massive hastle especially if you want to switch back and forth. Now what you want to do is start minecraft, login and get a fresh new minecraft install.

After this comes the tricky part. If you don't have 7-zip, you'll want to download that so you can open the minecraft.jar, once you have it opened, go ahead and take any of the mods you've downloaded and add them into the .jar. Before you exit, you'll want to delete the "META-INF" file from the .jar (don't know why but all mods tell you to do this).

Finally, close the .jar and you should be all set. A couple of tips you may want to hear are: Be careful. Lot's of new mods come out and have virus's on them. Backdoor traps, trojans, keyloggers, you name it you can probably find it in a random minecraft mod. Scroll down and look at comments for the mod itself if you're downloading it from the forums, I generally go in and look through 3 random pages just to make sure it's not the same guy posting over and over again "Great mod! Hope you update it soon!" and all that mumbo jumbo... If it's fake you'll usually find someone saying "Thanks for the virus fucktard" or something like that. Obviously.

Anyway I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to reply, I may have missed something considering I worked and then walked 2 miles home but this should cover most of it.

Enjoy!

Jloy1

Legacy Supporter 7
If you want a flying mod for Single Player, but doesn't affect SMP in anyway, get the mod "Single Player Commands".
It has a flymod in it as well as WorldEdit for Single Player. (Needs WorldEdit.jar put into the 'bin' directory)

And for spawning items with ease, use TooManyItems. Also doesn't affect SMP as it requires permissions to use the /give command.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
If you want a flying mod for Single Player, but doesn't affect SMP in anyway, get the mod "Single Player Commands".
It has a flymod in it as well as WorldEdit for Single Player. (Needs WorldEdit.jar put into the 'bin' directory)

And for spawning items with ease, use TooManyItems. Also doesn't affect SMP as it requires permissions to use the /give command.

Well said.

FuzLogix

Legacy Supporter 7
Ask @Bogrin - He wouldn't shut up about single player mods yesterday over TeamSpeak - Honestly he was boring me but if you speak with him i'm sure he'll fill you in on the details (bore you)

CaduceusGUILT

Legacy Supporter 1
My two cents.

I have been modding for quite some time, and the first thing that I think you should
do is keep everything organized. It is not a bad idea
to go copying certain folders. For example, I currently have about 50 minecraft.jars. When
ever a mod goes out of date, or minecraft updates, I don't delete that .jar in case I ever want to play on the map
that I had before. I keep several folders in my bin folder.
There are ones for each version of minecraft
and one that I currently use.
If you want to switch between different .jars, name the .jar you are using
to anything other than minecraft, and name the one you want to use to minecraft.

As for every other part of your .minecraft folder, always make sure to keep copies of each folder
when you know that the mod will change the folder in any way. For example, the "Now this is minecraft!"
changes around the resources folder. Keep a copy of that resource folder, and your old one. To switch them out,
do the same method as above.

For my second cent, I suggest creating a shortcut on your desktop that leads to your minecraft.jar,
or at the very least, to your appdata>roaming.

Good luck and have fun modding.

Brutalacerate said:
I banned 4+ Fly Hackers yesterday alone. If you don't have the common sense to have removed your Fly Hack before connecting to our server, AFTER reading the rules that clearly state it's not allowed, then you won't fit in here.

Okay, "Single Player Commands" isn't accessible in SMP, right? So there's a 0% chance that I could get banned for having it?

KrunknMunky

Legacy Supporter 3
and as an added bonus, SPC (single player commands) can do all the things you would like, all from one mod!!!

secondly, if you would like a selection of completely flat worlds, and whatever layer you want, you should check out Tykens Test World's they are completely flat worlds at different levels, and made of different materials that you can download and put in ur "saves" file in ur minecraft folder. as an added bonus, because of some trickery with the items, you dont need SPC to have infinite items, there is a bunker of items that you can place infinitely without them running out!

Kwong050

Holy Shit!
i dont get it when i tried to use modloader, the screen went black and deleted the meta file