• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Minecraft / bukkit / server issues.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I'd like to drop a note to you guys about whats been going on and shed some light on the issues and occurrences the last two days.

First, we selected to take advise on the java flags that launch our server (cleaning the memory and is heavily related to lag) from an unreliable source - this may or may not have caused the corruption issues we saw with chunks and caused the rollback we saw. It's not the biggest rollback we've had but definitely one that wasn't wanted.

Second, the core bukkit mod is pushing some serious updates the last few days - we're talking 20-40 revisions in the core code, each day that can cause some high unstable effects in various plugins and map changes. We TRY to stay a few revisions behind - but largely without proper testing it is a guessing game and there isnt much we can do except revert back to a stable version from an unstable one. (these aren't listed as stable or unstable its just listed.)

Third, I really, REALLY hate rollbacks or any kind of server issue that could have been prevented by myself - yes - I may have caused a rollback or two by toying with commands or adjusting settings that could have been done on a test server, but the last rollback directly caused by me was months and months ago - we learn from our mistakes, serveradmin wise. T

Fourth, playing on a beta game and a pre-release (not even really alpha) server mod means that we will have rollbacks - it is almost unavoidable - our system is designed to prevent them but the code is striving to cause them. I hope you understand this isnt something we want to happen and its something that all servers who are striving to help finish the bukkit server mod and progress the plugins are facing.

Fifth, I feel like I let a lot of you down with the instability of the server, I put in a tremedous amount of time, I try to have a very solid work ethnic (yes at this point this is more stressful than my actual day job) but seemingly I cannot conquer the beast of javacode and mindless developers who choose not to update their methods without testing at all. I will make it a goal to not push a release unless we test it thoroughly for at least a few hours and ensure that we have a solid player base testing it - this WILL require MORE users to stop what they're doing and log into our test servers.

Sixth, On behalf of Herocraft and the staff - we apologize for any inconceivable for the rollbacks and the lost of time or work on projects. Please use /petition open <msg with what was lost> in game to let us know how what you saw was lost - so we can fix it. We are not going anywhere, we are here to serve and we hope you enjoy yourself on Herocraft.

Chaz8591

Legacy Supporter 5
Kainzo, we know that you put a lot of work into this server, and I speak for myself and many others when I say that we appreciate all the work, time, and effort you, Aph, and the mods put into this server. Your dedication really shows through and makes this server a great place to play.

MatTripp

Legacy Supporter 8
I agree with Chaz, you guys have done a lot by this server and work very hard to keep it running for us. I thank you guys for your hard work to keep the server up and fun to play.