• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Make People be Nicer

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Herocraft has a reputation as a tough server, both in-game and in-chat.

A tough game makes people stay. A tough chat makes people leave.

We should uphold chat standards more than we currently do. I see bullying and excessive cussing every hour. More mutes should be handed out in these cases.

Separate issue: Please start muting Non-Staff players who say things like "First Warning" in chat. If you let these trolls cry wolf all day, the players won't know to listen when an actual staff is trying to get their attention.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I had more to say, but I decided that I really wanna say is that we can't force people to play nice all the time.
Everyone has different levels of tolerance for curses and trash talk.
If you really feel people are going overboard, take screenshots (Logs are NOT a substitute, we will not be digging around logs for someone saying "Fuck" one too many times) and PM a Mod or Admin (Feel free to PM me, I'll usually respond pretty quickly to Forum PM's or IRC Pings).

We should uphold chat standards more than we currently do. I see bullying and excessive cussing every hour. More mutes should be handed out in these cases.

Separate issue: Please start muting Non-Staff players who say things like "First Warning" in chat. If you let these trolls cry wolf all day, the players won't know to listen when an actual staff is trying to get their attention.
I agree with muting non-staff players that say things like "First warning." That's annoying.

The whole making people nicer thing is tricky though. It is difficult to find the line between total toxicity and just someone screwing around. If it's ever obvious someone's being server cancer, I will mute them, but there is a pretty big gray area when it comes to this sort of thing.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2

I agree with muting non-staff players that say things like "First warning." That's annoying.

The whole making people nicer thing is tricky though. It is difficult to find the line between total toxicity and just someone screwing around. If it's ever obvious someone's being server cancer, I will mute them, but there is a pretty big gray area when it comes to this sort of thing.

It's a useless role imo, either let the people you have given the perms to (if you don't trust them then they shouldn't have the perms) fully do the job, or not at all. I haven't seen a Proctor mute in an extremely long time, even for things that I think should deserve a mute. Why? Because most of them are still confused/nervous about the rules under which they are allowed to mute. It is EXTREMELY vague, it is also very easy for the punished player to say it's in some way biased. Like yay... I can mute people that break the chat rules, only they are basically allowed to do it x amount of times because I need a Mod+ or to give x amount of warnings before I'm allowed to mute.
Not trying to be mean or anything, just the way I see this system and I've talked about it in the handbook thread a bit too.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
I haven't seen a Proctor mute in an extremely long time, even for things that I think should deserve a mute. Why? Because most of them are still confused/nervous about the rules under which they are allowed to mute. It is EXTREMELY vague, it is also very easy for the punished player to say it's in some way biased. Like yay... I can mute people that break the chat rules, only they are basically allowed to do it x amount of times because I need a Mod+ or to give x amount of warnings before I'm allowed to mute.
This is an excellent way to approach this situation. Proctors should not be afraid to mute.

I trust Proctors to be able to mute the toxics without being mommy mods; clarify their rules and unleash them.

Last edited:
It's a useless role imo, either let the people you have given the perms to (if you don't trust them then they shouldn't have the perms) fully do the job, or not at all. I haven't seen a Proctor mute in an extremely long time, even for things that I think should deserve a mute. Why? Because most of them are still confused/nervous about the rules under which they are allowed to mute. It is EXTREMELY vague, it is also very easy for the punished player to say it's in some way biased. Like yay... I can mute people that break the chat rules, only they are basically allowed to do it x amount of times because I need a Mod+ or to give x amount of warnings before I'm allowed to mute.
Not trying to be mean or anything, just the way I see this system and I've talked about it in the handbook thread a bit too.
There is some truth to that. The rules are vague, but I have looked through them and there isn't really a way to make them more specific. This makes me not want to mute anyone if there is some doubt about whether I should or not.

Plus, the mindset I have is that this is a game. Yes, I care about the prosperity of the server, but I want people to be able to come online and play the way they want to play. Unless the are total cancer even after a warning or two I'm not going to mute them.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
There is some truth to that. The rules are vague, but I have looked through them and there isn't really a way to make them more specific. This makes me not want to mute anyone if there is some doubt about whether I should or not.

Plus, the mindset I have is that this is a game. Yes, I care about the prosperity of the server, but I want people to be able to come online and play the way they want to play. Unless the are total cancer even after a warning or two I'm not going to mute them.
That's exactly the point, there is no real way to make it anymore specific yet there is still doubt. it's a game, but there are rules for the chat that we should enforce, if the rules are not wanted then they can always be changed by the Rules Council.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Today, people have been using Homophobic Slurs, Racist Slurs, and heavy e-Bonics in Global chats without any consequences.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Today, people have been using Homophobic Slurs, Racist Slurs, and heavy e-Bonics in Global chats without any consequences.
e-Bonics haven't been punished in general for a while now, I think that may have been removed.
Slurs and such should still be fair game to mute, though.

Leo2596

Legacy Supporter 7

cringe

pure_autism

Legacy Supporter 5
Not to say chat cancer is a non-issue, but have you ever been on a vanilla PvP server? The things you'd see in chat would make Herocraft seem like care-bear camp. In my opinion, trash talk is fun. It adds to the competitiveness, gives people something to prove. Leave it to the individual to make an ass out of them self in chat. We have /ignore for a reason, but what's the point when people would rather sit there and continue getting offended?

Not to say chat cancer is a non-issue, but have you ever been on a vanilla PvP server? The things you'd see in chat would make Herocraft seem like care-bear camp. In my opinion, trash talk is fun. It adds to the competitiveness, gives people something to prove. Leave it to the individual to make an ass out of them self in chat. We have /ignore for a reason, but what's the point when people would rather sit there and continue getting offended?
I'm all for raining verbal hellfire down on certain people, but keep it classy.