• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Lost Soul Rework

M

MalaWolf

"The results of our multivariate study of over 45,000 players show that the usefulness of tutorials depends greatly on game complexity."
"In Foldit, the most complex and least conventional game we studied, tutorials increased play time by as much as 29% and player progress by as much as 75%." - Extracts from The Impact of Tutorials on Games of Varying Complexity by E Anderson et al.

It can be argued that Lost Soul is Herocraft's tutorial, get players used to skills, leveling and the difficulty of mobs on the server.
However, Lost Soul is not easy, in-fact it's probably the hardest form of leveling on the server. This is contrary to most games where the first levels, or start of the game is the easiest and as you go up it gets harder. While this may not be possible with the current set-up we should at least make lost soul easier, so we aren't met with this...

o74qryr.png

f2f1WVV.png

O3EdftU.png

We all recognize there is a problem with players leaving the server and after discussing it with a few people, there are three real options/suggestions that I want to bring forward for the staff team to consider.

Option 1; Remove Lost Soul
People can get straight into the classes that interest them, leveling might still be hard at first, but nowhere near as difficult because specced classes are better, have more health, deal more damage and have skills that can be used offensively and defensively. A drawback to this suggestion is that some players will be indecisive and prefer to pick a class later, or they will accidentally pick a class they do not like because they are not experienced with the server. However we have had something similar on previous maps with little to no complaints. (Back when we had rouge, warrior, caster and healer as the default classes.)

Option 2; Make Lost Soul Better
There are many options you could take here. My suggestion would be to give it a bunch of passive skills that only effect pve elements of the game, such as a passive damage bonus against mobs, or a passive damage reduction against them. This would allow new players to be safer, and less likely to rage after a mob one shots them. If you wanted players to really bring an overall view on the server for new players allow lost soul to scale exponentially so that a level 20 lost soul is equivalent to a level 40-50 of a specced class, allowing them to be somewhat decent at pvp. (This is my suggestion and is probably unpopular)

Option 3; Make Mobs Weaker
The main reason why people hate lost soul, is because they die to mobs really quickly, it's impossible to take on groups and you have to really manage your health and only attack when you can escape easily. This is to complicated for new players and a lot can go wrong causing people to leave the server. Herocraft is the only server where mobs are really hard, so why not tone their power town, allowing people to kill more and level up quickly. If veteran players really want a challenge, add mythic mobs and bosses, not punish lost souls because we as veterans want a challenge.

Cheers

Zelphril

Legacy Supporter 7
I agree 100%. I feel that with the number of players at an all time low, the need for new players to stay is at an all time high. By making the first week in HeroCraft easy and fun, I feel that they would be more inclined to stay. So to do that, let them jump into what they came here for, the hero's plugin. Let them get into a class sooner and easier, making them feel more excited to level.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
Option 1; Remove Lost Soul
People can get straight into the classes that interest them, leveling might still be hard at first, but nowhere near as difficult because specced classes are better, have more health, deal more damage and have skills that can be used offensively and defensively.
If anyone cares, this is basically my position too on this issue.

Vongard

Legacy Supporter 7
i vote we keep lost soul and make it better, this will lessen the issue of max levels being able to kill a group of 4-5 lost souls

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
i vote we keep lost soul and make it better, this will lessen the issue of max levels being able to kill a group of 4-5 lost souls
Tbh some people can 6v1 max classes, this could be skill, I don't think lost soul should be buffed but mobs nerfed

Dewyn

Retired Staff
A large part of the reason that new players leave is because LostSoul is just so bad. It's got three combat skills and a healing skill that requires it to not be in combat at all. Combine this with the amount of health mobs have and you have a recipe for "OMG I DIE SO FAST I QUIT."

With the Back To Basics update, this issue shouldn't be a problem, but LostSoul could do with some improvement.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
Getting started on Herocraft is indeed an issue for the most beginners here. This has been discussed along with the purpose of the Tutorial before.
http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/tutorial-is-killing-this-server.55274/
It's true, they come and ask the same question over and over again, but that for a reason.

Most frequently asked questions of newbies:
1. How do I change my class? / How to get a class? / How can I be <class> ?
2. What is LostSoul? / It says I need to master "LostSoul" ? / Why can't I change to <class> ?
3. How to join a town? / Can I join a town?
4. Anyone want to team up?
5. How to master <class/profession> ? / How to lvl up <class/profession> ?
6. Where to go? / Where do I need to go?
7. What can I do on this server?
8. How to create a town? / How can I make a town?
9. Why can't I break blocks? / Why can't I place blocks?

Make sure that they are covered on some way.
They won't tell you what's bad about the tutorial or anything, so you have to do your own research.
Keep in mind, effort will remain pointless for the ignorant ones.

Also do not forget, that regardless of how many Guides you have, it will always be the case that questions will be ignored. You cannot find a solution for that.

It is important:
- That they know where to ask questions and how
- That they have no further problems with picking a class of choice
- That they know where to find all information necessary, in case there is nobody there to ask
- That they know where to go and what to do after spawning in a world
- That they know what the "RPG - Experience" actually is
- That they know the basic commands and if not where to find them
- That they are informed about the current town situation and how to play together

I think removing Lost Soul can solve this issue. Let them choose their class right off the beginning, or enter a class path like mentioned above. I don't have the experience how it worked out with having the class paths involved before, but this subject needs to be changed quickly. Not everyone can take the challenge, not everyone understands the system. You cannot satisfy everyone but try to find a good balance between challenging and easy to learn. The problem is that the most players come from minigame servers (most likely) and are therefore used to a comfortable system, that shouldn't be implemented here. It would rather destroy the RPG experience, and I am talking about cross-worlds TPA features and such other things.

Last edited:

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
?... The problem is that the most players come from minigame servers (most likely) and are therefore used to a comfortable system, that shouldn't be implemented here. It would rather destroy the RPG experience, and I am talking about cross-worlds TPA features and such other things.

I definitely agree with this. I've had several new players join the PVP server than quit after about 30 minutes give or take 10 due to mobs that quickly kill them while they try to get away from spawn, having to walk long distances across the map to get where they want to be, and generally not understanding how the heroes system works. Many new players lately seem to be joining from mini games servers where they have grown accustomed to getting kits of gear from the get go, have access to world tpa's and don't have mobs anywhere near as difficult as we do. We lose these players exceptionally quick. Either removing lost soul entirely or perhaps reintroducing the paths I think may work to alleviate this in addition to the back to basics patch