• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Inactive Towns

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
For some towns, the owners have too much money in the bank/personal accounts that the regions will not fall with current upkeep for months. I'm suggesting we add a system that either auto does this, or has an admin manually remove the town if the entire town goes inactive for 30 days.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
What is deemed active?
1 player logging in?
Blocks being changed?

We can't have an auto system without a set bar to call inactive.

On one hand it's very easy to log in for 3 minutes, poke LWC's, place a torch and call it a day.
On the other, 2-3 players may still live in the town and be actively playing, while the rest is meh.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
What is deemed active?
1 player logging in?
Blocks being changed?

We can't have an auto system without a set bar to call inactive.

On one hand it's very easy to log in for 3 minutes, poke LWC's, place a torch and call it a day.
On the other, 2-3 players may still live in the town and be actively playing, while the rest is meh.
I would say if a person isn't online for 30 days, they are declared inactive. People still members of that town who are higher up in the ranks etc. can maybe pe for mayorship of the town with an inactive mayor.

I just don't like how there are some towns with like 4000 coins in the bank and 20c upkeep and all inactive players.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
I do not see who this advantages. Can you provide your thinking as to why this has value, and to whom?

-yav

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
I do not see who this advantages. Can you provide your thinking as to why this has value, and to whom?

-yav
The active people of the server can take the loot from the people who go inactive. People need a reason to stay active, I would hope losing their stuff would be one.

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
The problem with this it would take a lot of staff time to look into towns and deem them inactive and too be honest who cares?

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
The problem with this it would take a lot of staff time to look into towns and deem them inactive and too be honest who cares?
You type /town name, look at the members, and do /who to see when they were on, doesn't seem that hard to me. We should always try to push for incentivizing activity, I'm not sure why this is facepalm worthy

Royfaren

Legacy Supporter 6
It would need to be more efficient. There's an enormous list of towns, and if each town has an average of 5 members, that's going to be a lot of /town and /res commands. A LOT. More than anyone would want to do. Even harder to split it between people because suddenly you'll start needing an activity database.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
It would need to be more efficient. There's an enormous list of towns, and if each town has an average of 5 members, that's going to be a lot of /town and /res commands. A LOT. More than anyone would want to do. Even harder to split it between people because suddenly you'll start needing an activity database.
Well the players can take it upon themselves if they are interested and bring it to an admins' attention. I'm not saying we need an admin to constantly review if towns are active, I'm saying if a player notices that a town is inactive they can bring it to someone's attention.

And enough with the facepalms, lets act like grown ups here.

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
Well the players can take it upon themselves if they are interested and bring it to an admins' attention. I'm not saying we need an admin to constantly review if towns are active, I'm saying if a player notices that a town is inactive they can bring it to someone's attention.

The only one acting childish is you, the rating system is there for a reason, people have a right to their opinion and calling people out for face palming is immature. I facepalm this because this whole post does not make sense and has a lot of flaws and you literally said you want it for loot so kind of a lame reason to waste staff time.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
@Irishman81 I was just curious about your reasoning, nothing more. :D

For me, HC is a casually-played game (less played with the nation war debacle, sadly), and I appreciate that my townsfolks can be away for a bit (as real life sometimes dictates with family, work, school, and stuff) and that they 1) count towards the town size (so I don't lose chunks), and 2) they know that their town will still be there in the unlikely event that all of us are away for an extended period of time....

I guess I am missing how a positive punisher (if you don't log in for 30 days, your town is going to get decommissioned) encourages the kind of participation that really creates veteran players who will stick around. Positive reinforcement definitely is the way to go, especially with the age of HC's target population. (See B.F. Skinner's operant conditioning for more on positive/negative punisher/reinforcers). I suggest that HC stay a place of reward for participation rather than punishing those who are away for a while.

-yav

spiralz

Obsidian
@Irishman81 I was just curious about your reasoning, nothing more. :D

For me, HC is a casually-played game (less played with the nation war debacle, sadly), and I appreciate that my townsfolks can be away for a bit (as real life sometimes dictates with family, work, school, and stuff) and that they 1) count towards the town size (so I don't lose chunks), and 2) they know that their town will still be there in the unlikely event that all of us are away for an extended period of time....

I guess I am missing how a positive punisher (if you don't log in for 30 days, your town is going to get decommissioned) encourages the kind of participation that really creates veteran players who will stick around. Positive reinforcement definitely is the way to go, especially with the age of HC's target population. (See B.F. Skinner's operant conditioning for more on positive/negative punisher/reinforcers). I suggest that HC stay a place of reward for participation rather than punishing those who are away for a while.

-yav

I agree a lot with this. If a town can stay up during periods of player inactivity, the players are more likely to come back than if their town was destroyed and all loot stolen. No one wants to go through all the previous work to gain back the shit they lost, it's just not worth it, so those players that were inactive for a while will just not come back at all.

If you want to loot inactive towns so badly then just blow em up during war time unopposed.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
The only one acting childish is you, the rating system is there for a reason, people have a right to their opinion and calling people out for face palming is immature. I facepalm this because this whole post does not make sense and has a lot of flaws and you literally said you want it for loot so kind of a lame reason to waste staff time.
y u so m3an to irish all the sudden BULLY

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3

We have weekend war, just go loot the inactive towns during this time. Makes the most sense if you ask me. Otherwise if they have the money to keep going, and they are still keeping up with it, then it shouldn't go down. I get that you want all the sweet loots of those inactive towns but every week or two weeks it's still easy enough to access. Get some TNT, if you really need to, make a legit TNT cannon, and nuke the fuckers to get their shit. Pretty cut and dry. This is a win-win because if they return the town still exists, although you still get the loot.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We don't heavily edit the Towny code, in fact, we're using "towny out of the box" I can work with devs to add in activity checks but its really their 5 year old codebase, that has its own set of issues.

Our primary goal is to change how towns upgrade and expand, secondary is changing how TNT works on towns and nations.