• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion I miss spell particles - any chance to bring them back?

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
Spell effect particles have been dramatically reduced or removed for most spells. I was curious if there was any indication that this choice actually helped with lag. If it didn't, can they be brought back please?

I reflect back on some of the video footage of the old PVP battles from back in the day that @Apherdite took; and what makes them amazing is the spectacular display of particles that occurred during the heated exchanges.

Even as a non-PVPer, when I battle mobs, the particles bring the spell to life. Now I don't expect Bonespear to look exactly as it does (and admittedly it was super laggy), but if there is a way to give it more, I would be absolutely grateful.

In an age where headcounts are important, I believe that HC should identify what its consumers really want and make those top priorities. An example how the absence of spell particles can work against enrollment comes from a townmember of mine. He pushed to get his Ranger to level 30 during the Zombie Apocalypse event so that he could get Explosive Shot; once he got it and tried it out, and I quote: "Well that was anticlimactic." The Explosive Shot was missing it traditional red particle explosion. I have hardly seen him on since.

I know that there are many things happening right now and that the focus is on townships and siege. I hope that this request can also have some value and that the particle codes that were removed can be reinstated, or alternatively, something that strikes a balance between their aesthetic value and the lag that they may or may not bring.

Thank you,

-yav

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Spell effect particles have been dramatically reduced or removed for most spells. I was curious if there was any indication that this choice actually helped with lag. If it didn't, can they be brought back please?

I reflect back on some of the video footage of the old PVP battles from back in the day that @Apherdite took; and what makes them amazing is the spectacular display of particles that occurred during the heated exchanges.

Even as a non-PVPer, when I battle mobs, the particles bring the spell to life. Now I don't expect Bonespear to look exactly as it does (and admittedly it was super laggy), but if there is a way to give it more, I would be absolutely grateful.

In an age where headcounts are important, I believe that HC should identify what its consumers really want and make those top priorities. An example how the absence of spell particles can work against enrollment comes from a townmember of mine. He pushed to get his Ranger to level 30 during the Zombie Apocalypse event so that he could get Explosive Shot; once he got it and tried it out, and I quote: "Well that was anticlimactic." The Explosive Shot was missing it traditional red particle explosion. I have hardly seen him on since.

I know that there are many things happening right now and that the focus is on townships and siege. I hope that this request can also have some value and that the particle codes that were removed can be reinstated, or alternatively, something that strikes a balance between their aesthetic value and the lag that they may or may not bring.

Thank you,

-yav
They broke with 1.8. We're working on adding any spell particles not firework effects.

@mung3r - may need to step this up and update them heh.

I'll hand code these particles if no one else has time. It was place don a back burner due to other issues cropping up.

Last edited:

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
I am still using 1.7.2; does that make a difference with regard to whether they are bugged with 1.8?

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
I haven't. Getting all the Heromods to work for a new version always is such a pain; I was just waiting until 1.8 was up to date to make the switch.

mung3r

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
They broke with 1.8. We're working on adding any spell particles not firework effects.

@mung3r - may need to step this up and update them heh.

I'll hand code these particles if no one else has time. It was place don a back burner due to other issues cropping up.

There are *a lot* of skills heh. I want to make an attempt at using certain particle effects for related skill. I did this with a group of healing skills for example.