• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

How new Townships changes things

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Townships 3.0 is still in testing, so anything listed here could change. However I thought it would be helpful to have a run-down on how things differ from our current townships arrangements.

Keep in mind, this new Townships 3.0 is MUCH more complex than we’ve been used to. It presents an engaging and engrossing challenge. Good outcomes will depend on good understanding, careful planning, and a strategic approach.

I’m finding some of the understandings are very subtle. I’ll upgrade this post as we go along as @Multitallented, @Phoenix_Frenzy, @agedbear and the players who’ve been participating in the test events on Siege contribute their understandings.

The underlying principle of Townships 3.0 is that townships (super-regions) are granted over collections of specified regioned structures.

What’s similar to what we’re used to:
  • Regioned township areas
  • Minimum and maximum citizen numbers
  • Regular payment of tax
What differs from what we’re used to:
  • Economy – more money will be generated, and more money will be used.
  • PvP – the option to declare war on other towns, to lay siege to other towns (the PvP environment is first cab off the rank).
  • Shape – New township regions (currently) are cubes, not bedrock to sky limit.
  • Design and layout – Town regions require certain regioned structures to be constructed, centering on the town hall.
  • Maintenance – Towns require power (new) and money to keep the regions intact.
  • Tax – Money and item taxes are taken daily, in effect.
  • Item requirements – Creating/operating the regioned structures requires the presence of specific items - in the construction and in the region chest (the item tax referred to above).
  • Upgrades – Town upgrades don’t need to be concentric. They just need to include the required structures.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
TOWNSHIPS/SUPER-REGIONS (Wiki page)

These are the currently-proposed tiers of township/super-regions, along with their sizes and required structure/regions.
  • Tier 1: Tribe, 51x51x51, 1 hall (ie town hall, also called council room)
  • Tier 2: Hamlet, 89x89x89, 1 hall, 5 homes
  • Tier 3: Village, 123x123x123, 1 hall, 10 homes, 1 farm
  • Tier 4: Town, 151x151x151, 1 hall, 16 homes, 2 farms, 2 factories, 1 temphousing, 1 hospital, 1 structure of power
  • Tier 5: City, 209x209x209, as above plus more (see ingame for details or wiki for an indication).
STRUCTURE/REGIONS (Wiki page)

Structure/regions are grouped under these headings: town infrastructure, offense/defense, housing, farms, factories, mines, quarries, and income generation.

There are perhaps 100 structure/regions! plus a number of them evolve into more efficient or powerful forms over time.

Most structure/regions can only be created within a township of the appropriate tier. Some can only be built in certain biomes or at certain heights, which may influence decisions about where to place a town. Some can only be unlocked by a particular profession.

Structure/regions produce outcomes if they are correctly operated. Outcomes include:
  • increasing the citizen capacity for the township
  • paying income (souls in the bank) to the structure/region’s primary owner
  • generating power for the town OR draining power from the town AND/OR draining power from an enemy town
  • producing items – ie minerals, farmed goods, items needed to operate other structure/regions
  • producing special items that can be traded with other towns, processed, and sold on to the server for souls
  • defending the town or attacking an enemy town – ie arrow storms, TNT barrages etc
  • providing services for t town members, ie healing if you’re nearby (a hospital) etc.

Multitallented

Legacy Supporter 5
Thanks Witchy, very informative!

Looks like this is going to be a combo breaker for me.
This is so that no one town can have everything. No matter what biome you choose to put your town in, there will always be structures that are specific to just that biome. Even in the nether, sky, and deep ocean.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
This is so that no one town can have everything. No matter what biome you choose to put your town in, there will always be structures that are specific to just that biome. Even in the nether, sky, and deep ocean.

I just went to siege to take a second look. It's fine, those that I won't be able to build at the beginning aren't of importance. Actually, I just noticed a lot of advantages, phew!

By the way, is it possible to somehow look up the range of regions like the graveyard?
What about Soul Dust/Gems/Blocks/etc values?

Multitallented

Legacy Supporter 5
I just went to siege to take a second look. It's fine, those that I won't be able to build at the beginning aren't of importance. Actually, I just noticed a lot of advantages, phew!

By the way, is it possible to somehow look up the range of regions like the graveyard?
What about Soul Dust/Gems/Blocks/etc values?
Graveyards spawn you there if they are the closest one to your death location. So if there are no other graveyards (including public ones) then the range would be infinite.
Soul Gems and other new items designed for town trading are available to everyone. The structures that produce these items are biome specific. There is always going to be one of these available no matter where you build your town. The factories that refine these items are profession specific. The shops that you can use to sell these items to the server can be built anywhere expect in towns that have the factory for that item.