• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Hourly events!!

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
So I mentioned an old rpg server i played on before hc that has since shut down. There is one thing that existed on that server that I will miss the most. That would be hourly events. Cr0ssVTW (The owner of the server) had put in place event masters which would, periodically host events. These events range full on pvp to hardcore parkour, and i'll try to list em here. They were EXTREMELY fun and rewards were sweet too. Here's the events I remember.

KOTL(King of the ladder) - Essentially all players were huddled up outside the door, after a timer the host opens the piston door and players rush inside. The entire floor was lava except for a few blocks which players would have to jump across to reach the 4x40+ ladder pillar. Players would have to punch others off the Gigantic pillar and the last man standing would win the event! (Since the floor is lava players knocked off are usually dead or they could catch the ladder on their fall down). This event was easily my favorite. After you died you would be placed in the audience section to watch who's gonna win players would cheer for other players it was honestly amazing.

KOTH(King of the Hill) - in this event classes on that server were enabled, and pretty much last man standing wins.

Tons of parkour maps - The most memorable one for me was a parkour where the floor was lava and the majority of the jumps werre 4x1 platforms. Pretty darn fun

Spleef - Pretty obvious what this is.

MegaSpleef - This version of spleef was just a huuuge version of spleef

That's all I remember there are tons more but y'know my memory sucks

Yeah, I remember I used to do something like this on one of the servers I used to play on. We had a bunch of different floating arenas that we would drop people in for different events.

1. PvP: Just watch them kill each other.

2. Parkour: Let them race to the end.

3. Hide and Seek: Have a staff member try to find each player in an arena.

4. Boss Fight: Just summon up a random boss when you spot a group of people (in hind-sight, might not have been a great idea).

5. Spleef: Bow before me, God of Spleef (2012-2013)

6. Don't get killed by the mod with creative and a power V bow: One of the staff members got bored, so he would start shooting people (particularly me).

7. Precarious Snowball Fight: Basically a parkour arena, but with different entrance points and everyone gets infinite snowballs. Last man standing wins.

I think one time I also convinced one of the mods to give us creative in order to build opposing fortresses. All I remember is that it was quickly kiboshed when someone decided to wander off towards an enemy clan base.

Good times, good times.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
While I would love more events, it usually takes an Admin to run them.
Event Team has had some good ideas in our brainstorming, but without an Admin to back us up, we're helpless.
Tim is great, but he is damn busy, and as such can't run every event we want to run.

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Event Team has had some good ideas in our brainstorming, but without an Admin to back us up, we're helpless.
Tim is great, but he is damn busy, and as such can't run every event we want to run.
Make J2BH an Admin and boom problem solved

What specifically about an event needs an Admin? I cannot come up with many options.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Make J2BH an Admin and boom problem solved
Talk to Kainzo.

What specifically about an event needs an Admin? I cannot come up with many options.
Setting up the Event server, making sure things run ok (Though Mods can help with that one in terms of players), giving out rewards, Okaying/Denying rewards, implementing files to live, getting coders to code stuff if we need, just to name a few.

Setting up the Event server, making sure things run ok (Though Mods can help with that one in terms of players), giving out rewards, Okaying/Denying rewards, implementing files to live, getting coders to code stuff if we need, just to name a few.
1. Although I am unaware of everything required to go into this, I believe it can be done in one swoop if drawing from a pool of events (sticking to this thread suggestion). If it is larger, then I understand.
2. Other staff can handle
3. Don't see why this necessarily requires specifically an Admin
4. Can be done beforehand if drawn from a pool of items
5-6. Unlikely for a small-scale event.

For events to become a bit more relevant to HC, the server really does need someone with authority over most things concerning events, except for the most general things (time, style, pre-setup). What I am thinking of is basically what devotedworker is for the Adventure Team, but events instead. If you guys already have this, then a bit more power needs to be given to that person. I know there are certain trust issues involved, but it would seem to streamline the process.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
1. Although I am unaware of everything required to go into this, I believe it can be done in one swoop if drawing from a pool of events (sticking to this thread suggestion). If it is larger, then I understand.
2. Other staff can handle
3. Don't see why this necessarily requires specifically an Admin
4. Can be done beforehand if drawn from a pool of items
5-6. Unlikely for a small-scale event.

For events to become a bit more relevant to HC, the server really does need someone with authority over most things concerning events, except for the most general things (time, style, pre-setup). What I am thinking of is basically what devotedworker is for the Adventure Team, but events instead. If you guys already have this, then a bit more power needs to be given to that person. I know there are certain trust issues involved, but it would seem to streamline the process.
1: We cannot change the physical event server, we'd need an admin.
2: Agreed
3: We need the admin to spawn in items or give money
4: Agreed
5-6: Also agreed

As far as I'm aware we don't have anyone in the same spot as Devo for Event. @Rumblestikk is the Lead, though the team hasn't seen much activity. While I agree, as you said, there is a certain level of trust to give out that power.

Feel free to PM TimForReal though, Staff is his department.

1: We cannot change the physical event server, we'd need an admin.
2: Agreed
3: We need the admin to spawn in items or give money
4: Agreed
5-6: Also agreed

As far as I'm aware we don't have anyone in the same spot as Devo for Event. @Rumblestikk is the Lead, though the team hasn't seen much activity. While I agree, as you said, there is a certain level of trust to give out that power.

Feel free to PM TimForReal though, Staff is his department.
I think that the only thing there that really should be absolutely required to be done by admin is just giving permission for the physical changes. The spawning and distribution of items should be taken care of by the lead Event Team member who has permission specifically in that dimension.

Then again, the server does have a ton of things currently IP, and adding yet another thing to the already full staff team plate might be unwise knowing that Adventure and Event would probably pull from the same pool of people. Still, it is a nice thought for later on when things start to settle down.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I think that the only thing there that really should be absolutely required to be done by admin is just giving permission for the physical changes. The spawning and distribution of items should be taken care of by the lead Event Team member who has permission specifically in that dimension.

Then again, the server does have a ton of things currently IP, and adding yet another thing to the already full staff team plate might be unwise knowing that Adventure and Event would probably pull from the same pool of people. Still, it is a nice thought for later on when things start to settle down.
Eventually I'd love to see it.
Item/money spawning should be left to Admins however. It's just something I don't see being given to anyone lower, even if it's their sole job for events.