• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Greyson, Herocrafts Special Little Guy

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
TL:DR at bottom

For whatever reason (they're still 12, they are derpy, they were disciplined) there is a growing community of "Greylist Only" Players who are playing on Greyson exclusively.

Let us follow the adventures of 3 noobs, #1, #2, and #3, over a few days of playing Herocraft!
They all join at the same time but do not know each other previously.

DAY ONE:
#1 makes a lump of buildings he calls a town, #2 and #3 join it. It is called NoobTown.
They build and play together in NoobTown, leveling and getting money.
#2 gets whitelisted, and leaves almost immediately taking a large share of whatever stuff NoobTown had.
#3 Logs off for a few days since the HeroCrack hasn't hit him yet. We will see him soon!

DAY TWO:
#1 has read all the rules but interprets them all to apply to greylisters, so he makes a ton of noise claiming that his "Town" has been betrayed by #2.
#2 is in a real town, lamenting all the unobtainable loot he left behind in Greyson for his noob friends to likewise squander.
#3 Still jacking it.

DAY THREE:
#1 now has an inherent distrust of the interpretations of Rules, and is busy re-reading them offline/rage quit because his "town" got fucked.
#2 is a happy whitelister.
#3 logs back on, hears that the town is leaderless from #2 (who cannot really verify anything anymore since he can't return to Greyson), and #3 takes matters into his own hands. He has built a new fountain and re-organized the chest depository when #1 logs back on, immediately petitions the unsanctioned changes and #3 gets a 1-day ban or whatever.

DAY ???:
All three (or whomever of the three is still active after this convoluted beginning) are whitelisted and NoobTown is an ungriefable, likely never claimable (since it takes longer to claim than any player should reasonably be on Greyson) build. More and more of these builds exist, until new players are uncertain what is occupied and what is not. The lack of consistency that is shown from having unpetitioned griefs of these old NoobTowns pass by creates more confusion for others when they get whitelisted.

TL: DR
We should increase the incentive to quickly leave Greyson, somehow, and perhaps give noobs a better way to collect their belongings prior to eviction. Community resources like staff time and available valuable blocks are being sucked into this void of greylisters.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Greylisted users cannot specialize in their class - it is considered an "extended" tutorial.

They have threat of PVP from other non-spec'd users. More than fine with them staying a few days there while they get situated or whitelisted.

The primary issue is that this is an area that will probably go inactive once they get whitelisted. I'm up for ideas to fix this just not sure of any atm.

Honestly, I really want this for both greylisted and whitelisted users - just better restrict the ability to specialize :)

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Perhaps Greyson needs a set refresh schedule - like the first of each month ? This will allow players to play, build and do whatever and pushes them to get whitelisted - as every month everything is reset. The only problem I see is people who are not old enough to be whitelisted yet.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
The dispute that inspired the original post has been in the peripherals of my attention span for only ~1 week, and I agree, there is no need to rush them out of Greyson too quickly.

I am starting to see a tendency for new players to be convinced that the all-noob world is the safest place for them, when in my opinion we should be stressing that joining an established community is the easier route.
edit: therefore the solution could be to increase awareness of the benefits of towns

Even noobs who join in packs of 5 or 6 and want to make their own town should first get on their feet by becoming involved in a town or guild of whitelisters rather than greylisters. Greylist organization is minimal and I have corrected incorrect/borderline-lies information given out to the players lead by "Mayors" of unofficial towns.
>>

JacobBurkey

Portal
Greylisted users cannot specialize in their class - it is considered an "extended" tutorial.
Are you sure about this? I saw a greylist user that was specialized the other day, both in their combat class and profession.