• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Getting a New Desktop

I am getting a really nice present. My dad has offered me to build a gaming computer. He REALLY loves games =D! He built one 10 years ago and it runs BRILLIANT today. I got a budget of 1,300 USD. I am not completely dumb with what it needs and such . But what exactly is good and what is bad. What is going to be fitting my price range. My dad wants me to start gaining a little more knowledge on PC's and there insides. Any help please?!

RAM- Atleast 4 GB please =D
Motherboard
Graphics Card
Processor
Power Supply

I have everything else. My dad is taking apart his old computer so he can give me the case, he has a 250 GB hardrive already, sound card, monitor keyboard. That will let me amp up the stuff above for a better computer =D!

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Good selection of reliable brands. I'd also go for a more powerful VGA, even if that means dumping SLI. When the time comes, you'll have to scrap both cards if they're not powerful enough. But if you only buy one now, that will last longer and you can always purchase a second later on (also, cheaper) to use SLI.

Also, you don't really need 8GB just yet. Nice to have but use that money + the money you'd get from not buying the second VGA on something else. Get a superfast HDD (WD Velociraptor) for example. Otherwise your hard disk will be the bottleneck because it won't be able to keep up with the rest.
You can buy that extra 4GB RAM when games actually need it. It will be a lot cheaper as well.

elroy72

TNT
Ilsyde said:
Good selection of reliable brands. I'd also go for a more powerful VGA, even if that means dumping SLI. When the time comes, you'll have to scrap both cards if they're not powerful enough. But if you only buy one now, that will last longer and you can always purchase a second later on (also, cheaper) to use SLI.

Also, you don't really need 8GB just yet. Nice to have but use that money + the money you'd get from not buying the second VGA on something else. Get a superfast HDD (WD Velociraptor) for example. Otherwise your hard disk will be the bottleneck because it won't be able to keep up with the rest.
You can buy that extra 4GB RAM when games actually need it. It will be a lot cheaper as well.
All that is true :) Might as well scrap the Extra 4GB and grab an SSD though. The SLI will be faster than comparable cards but will be more expensive come upgrade time.

My Dad's computer parts just came in the mail. made him a quad core beast for $250 ;) (No GPU Tho he doesn't play games just wanted a fast computer to replace his pentium 4 haha). Anyways off to build it!

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
Looks like a nice PC. I just built one myself a month ago. My first time building a computer from nothing. It was a great experience and the PC run's great as well! Spent a little over $600 on it.

-640 GB HD
-4GB RAM
-GTX 465 GPU (may get a second in the future for SLI fun)
-A MSI motherboard
-Dual Core 3.4 GHz processor (was thinking of going quad core but not many games use it yet and i was on a budget)
-A giant thing that looks like a tower to cool the CPU
-An awesome all black case called the Rosewill Challenger
-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I'd provide links to all this stuff but its still on the HD of my old computer which i don't have plugged in at the moment.